BamaRider has a new 2014 FJR 1300 ES

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I picked up my new ride today at Cool Springs Powersports a H, Y, K, S, Dealer, Franklin, Tenn. (near Uncle Phil) The price was 2000 better than my local dealer. I found several Yamaha dealers with almost same price but Franklin was the easiest for me to get to. Why the local dealer won't compete I dunno. I gave them every chance, and said if they could just get close I'd give them the business but they wouldn't budge.

Folks, this is a heckuva ride. I rode it back from Franklin (270 miles) and throughly impressed. My previous ride was a short (20 mile) ride on a 2013. I still have my ST and RT so relax, I don't plan on selling either. Both are 10 years old now with a lotta miles, they are worth more to me than anyone will ever pay me, so I plan to keep them, I still enjoy riding them.

How did I arrive at this decesion? Lets see.

I made the decesion to upgrade to a new bike a few months ago. My thinking was trade the 2005 RT on the 2015 RT next spring. I know that to be a great bike, with all the bells and whistles, but I'd hafta to be patient and let the recall sort itself out etc. I really like the RT, but so do a lot of folks, and the rumor was the 2015 is pre sold deep into 2015 which = FULL STICKER PRICE. My guess by the time a dealer adds on doc fees, taxes, prep the RT will be the high side of 19,000. "Ok I can deal with that if that's what I want." I said.

In the interim I decided to recheck to see what else was out there. I went down the list-

-Honda no longer makes a sport tourer so that rules Honda out.

-My brother just bought a 2010 Concours, I can ride it anytime I want, so that ruled the Kawasaki out, no need to duplicate.

-Trimpuh Trophy- I hear its a great ride, but a triple doesn't do it for me. Rule that out.

-BMW 1600 GT- Lets concede it is the best ST a guy can own. Decked out with options I need to have, you're tawkin well over 26,000. Rule the GT out.

-BMW RT- put it on the short list.

-Yamaha FJR- Lets see. It ha been around since 2001, but has been relentlesly upgraded by Yamaha. When I entered the sport tour world in 2001 the FJ was only available in Europe where it won bike of the year. The first FJs to come here were slanted too far to the sport side for me, but over the years that changed to what we have now. The FJ is perfect example of a reliable platform that has been tweaked, added and kept modern. Any complaint heard in numbers Yamaha addressed. "The seat is bad." It now has one of the best in the genre, my 2014 has some kind of dual density thick seat that is the most comfortable stock seat I ever sat on, including the stock on the ST 1300 that I put over 100k on. "It needs a cruise control" Done. "It needs better aerodynamics" Done. Over the years it has seen the windsheild tweaked and the list goes on.

The bike I rode home from Franklin (270 miles) is the best bike I have ever owned. Sleek, powerful, excellent cockpit with modern electronics, great wind mgt, and outstanding suspension adjustable on the fly. Not been able to lean it seriously yet in the twisties but I played with the ES alot on the way home today, and it works very well. It is way lighter than my Honda ST and easier to move around in the garage. I ficked it around when I could a few times. When I did get to lean, it was very responsive and light in the steering. A finely balanced machine it is. It pretty much does everything better than my ST, but you have to note the 10 year difference in technology.

Little things like digital readout on coolant temp. It has actual numbers to see. Back in ala the temp soared to 101, and the FJ stayed went from 164 coolant temp to 172 LOL.

The RT has a slight edge in wind mgt, and how far you can lean it. But whatever advantage the RT has in lean factor, the FJ will be right there with it in the twisties becauses of its King Kong motor, and slick transmission, it will quickly close any gap the RT can manage in a tight turn.

I left a backroad today and got on I-65 south. I put the predamp on one rider, no luggage, adjusted the spring to one of the soft settings to soak up and bumps, switch to tour mode which does something to the throttle repsonse to make it just a little easier around town and on the open road. I just rolled the power on. I hit a few buttons to get the suspension where I wanted, and took off. It made 90 mph feel like 50. Because of he style of the windsheild, and new bodywork it sliced through the wind. With screen on low I had wind but it wasn't real noisy and no backwash thanks venting near dash that takes away much of buffeting the Honda has.

Adjustable handlebars gave me just the right reach, footpeg location work great for me. Not as much lean to the bars as the Honda, but not straight up like the RT, fits just right in between. What I like most about the cockpit lets you know you are on a sport tourer, but not so much you get beat down.

Mirrors are best I've seen on a ST. You see ok direclty to the back, and excellent view of either lane beside ya. I can't see much of anything on my other 2 without alot of twisting around.

It has the little things like LED turn signals and running lights, 12v outlet, place to tie straps to, great dealer network, proven design and reliablity, bag liners included with purchase, rock solid cruise control, something called traction control, that helps in the rain, and most of all it is RED. Fit and finish are excellent.

It will devour the ST at any speed, in any gear, same with the RT.

But in the end, I already HAVE a RT, it is not gonna be all that different ride experience than a 2015, the FJ costs 4000 less than a 2015 RT, maybe more (mine came in 14,000 and some change). Price included extended 6 year, unlimited mile warranty. So remove the RT from the list, and the FJR is last one standing. So I now have the FJR in the collection. In my long list of bikes, the FJ first Yamaha I have ever owned.

I can't wait to ride it out west in a few weeks.

I tried to upload a pic when I picked it up from the dealer but keep getting message file failed to upload. It is JPG format. So I dunno.:biker:

Last edited:
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I've had a few discussions with folks disgruntled with Honda and leaning toward the FJR. If I was still in the market for a sport tourer, an FJR would be in my garage. That said, congratulations Guy!!!

Bike
2005 ST1300
Open the picture in Microsoft Office picture manager or some other similar program and you will be able to resize it.

Congrats on the new bike. I love the color. That was a good and balanced review. How do you find the storage capacity compared to the Honda? It looks like the bags are a tad smaller but still will accommodate a full face helmet? Any other storage comments? Will you be getting a top box?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
That's great, Guy! Looking forward to more insights. Enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
My plan is a more detailed review/comp for my web site after I put more miles on it.

Not sure about the storage. Soon as I finish breaking it in, I'm gonna do a pre tour load. From there I'll be able to gauge the storage capacity to the Honda and BMW. I don't want any surprises a day before leaving out. Off the cuff the Honda bags look a little larger. I dunno about the FJ's luggage rack. It is painted, I prefer the chrome thing of the Honda and BMW. It also doesn't look as big. I just need it to be big enough to hold my bedroll bag.

No plans for a topbox.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Great write up Guy. I sat on a red ES at Chaparral Motorsports when I was in CA last week. I think it was stickered at 16,800. Very nice bike and I thought about it for a few minutes but my girl got me to CA and I figured she would get me home. It's not time yet for me.

Congratulations.

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
Interesting perspectives and I agree it is a beautiful bike. Looking forward to future evaluations once you have it broken in.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Interesting perspectives and I agree it is a beautiful bike. Looking forward to future evaluations once you have it broken in.
Nice report and I can tell that NuHondaGuy is going to watch this very close because I saw him get on one at the Dallas International Motorcycle Show. If I was looking for a new one, the FeeJeeR would get a very close look.

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Great write up Guy. I sat on a red ES at Chaparral Motorsports when I was in CA last week. I think it was stickered at 16,800. Very nice bike and I thought about it for a few minutes but my girl got me to CA and I figured she would get me home. It's not time yet for me.

Congratulations.
There is nothing wrong with the ST, why I sitll own mine. I doubt I will EVER sell it. I enjoy riding it. But so many called for a lighter, faster, more gadget ST, and it was Yamaha who responed.

I'm thinking Yamaha has poised their brand to take in all us sport tour guys left out when Honda left the field. If you want a Asian sport tour bike you gotta go with the Concours or FJ. Yamaha has put the pressure on Kaw to do something with the Concours which is basically unchanged since 2008? The FJ is a great bike, and the amazing thing is, I paid about the same money for my ST 10 years ago, as I did for the FJ.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
First, congratulations on your new FJR. I envy you.

Some advice?

Join the FJRforum. They are every bit as wonderful as this group but a little less restrained and more rowdy. The info there is awesome. Please read and search before just posting a question though...

The FJR benefits from exactly the same mods as the ST1300. The biggest complaints are just like here, 1)Seat!!! 2) Bar Risers 3) Windshield.
In my opinion the windshield is the first thing on the FJR although the Gen3 is much better than previous years.

Do NOT use the 12 volt outlet in the glovebox for anything serious. I think it is about 2 or 3 amps max and the wire is so small that upping the fuse size will have a negative outcome.

I rode the '14 FJR ES at a Yamaha Demo Day back in February. I have been riding and maintaining Dad's '07 FJR since we bought it new in '07. I can say the '14 ES is simply the best motorcycle I have ever had the privilege to sit upon. That MOTOR and that SUSPENSION... Oh my.

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread but here is a pic of the ES at the Demo Day. That is me with a broken heart behind it. I knew I would never love my ST the same way.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I attended a Kawasaki Rally 2 weeks ago. I spoke to the ROK editor. She said that MawKaw told her to expect some very big news regarding the Concours in 2015. She was led to believe that would be some good improvements. Kind of left me hanging without anything to sink my teeth into....so I guess I am doing the same to you[emoji30]

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Wow, I don't need to near about how wonderful it is. I'm just going to keep my head buried in the sand. ;-)

But, congrats on your new ride!

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Congratulations on your new ride and your OP really laid the compliments on thick (not that they are not well deserved). I keep going back and looking at the 2014 and started pre-negotiations with my local stealer. Looking forward to any updated impressions you might post. Mark me down as 'envious'!

Top Bottom