HELP!! Three Extra Bolts

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Okay guys, I missed something. After rebuilding my forks, replacing wheel bearings, and mounting front tire, I have three extra bolts. This is really making me question what I'm doing. Has anyone an idea where these critters might have come from? They are all the same size 6mm thread 8mm hex head about 3/4 in. long. All the plastic is back on and these bolts/cap screws are the only thing left over, any help would be appreciated.

Bob

Byron

STOC #
Are you sure they are hex head and not Allen? :camera1: would help.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Hex is often used as the generic name for Allen head bolts. So yeah maybe he means hex bolts and not hex-head bolts. I've always preferred Allen just to avoid that confusion.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Bob
Try a parts fiche search?

This doesnt always work because you never know how Honda labels things ... & you may have already tried it but ...

Go to any online OEM Honda parts supplier web site. Find your year/model bike. Search "hex head bolt" or "8mm" or anything else you can think of. You'll get several hits for your bike.

Simple to do. Worth a try ...

OP
OP
OldGuy
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
That's a good thought Chuck. The bolts are all on the bracket for the brake lines,never took them off, but they definitely look the same.

I'm thinking something simpler, like something just underneath the tupperware. I didn't go digging for things to work on, I took off the plastic, hung the calipers, pulled the front wheel and removed the forks. I also removed the rear wheel for the bearing job. It's not muffler bolts they are all hung back up properly. I am just at a loss.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If the 2 flange head bolts that secure the brake lines to the RH fork leg bracket and one fender mounting bolt on each side to are in place then pull off the tip over wing covers and look for the 8 mm bolts that secure the middle cowl to the tubular tip over bars under the fairing. Those are the only 8 mm flange bolts required to drop the forks and fairing IIRC.

OP
OP
OldGuy
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
We Have a Winner!!! Between Jeff and Dave I believe the bolts go to middle cowl. I mistakenly put some new hex keyed screws at the place the bolts should have gone, I had a few new ones laying around and used them by mistake. Thanks again for all your help ST Owners are the greatest !!!!!!

Bob

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
Hey, Bob.....using Fireball during re-assembly will do that!!! Best to wait until AFTER the last screw is in place to break the seal! ;)

John

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
This is really making me question what I'm doing.
NOW that the mystery has been solved I'll admit that the above made me really really literally laugh out loud. Or as the kids text when I'm chasing them off the lawn: LLOL!

That last pic was pretty funny too!

Top Bottom