sticky starter switch

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
I went for a ride this evening while it was still light outside. As it got later and darker it seemed my headlights were dim. When I stopped to check there were no headlights at all. I tried the brights and dims. All I had was marker lights. When I got home I flicked the starter switch because I remembered it has a headlight cutout. Joy I have headlights and a sticky starter switch. I am planning on spraying the headlight switch with contact cleaner to free up the sticky switch. My question is if it is still sticky what should I use to lube it so it doesn't get sticky again? Thanks in advance for all your help.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Clean it with some good contact cleaner as it most likely has a build up of dirt in there.

OP
OP
okiehick82
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Clean it with some good contact cleaner as it most likely has a build up of dirt in there.

Thanks Mike that is my plan. Not sure how often this happens. Kind of spooky expecting there to be lights and there not to be any.

OP
OP
okiehick82
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
got the same problem today going to work. Headlights not working on both high and low on my ST1100.

Did the switch cleaning fix the problem Okiehick82?
I don't know I have been to busy and lazy to try clean it I just have been pulling it back out every time I start it. Sometimes it is already out sometimes I have to help it I am sure cleaning it will fix it. Guess this morning is the perfect time to quit being lazy. Will go try cleaning it and give you a report.

OP
OP
okiehick82
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
got the same problem today going to work. Headlights not working on both high and low on my ST1100.

Did the switch cleaning fix the problem Okiehick82?
Okay I was just lazy. I went out put rags under the switch sprayed with contact cleaner still sticking in sometimes. If I pushed the starter button in and slid my finger off the end of it so it flicked back out it would go all the way out but if I raised my thumb it wouldn't make it all the way out. Next the WD40 sprayed it pushed the button a few times sprayed some more now even if I release it slowly it comes all the way out. It took less than 5 minutes. Good luck hope yours is that simple. A silicone spray might be better as it doesn't attract dust as bad so might not gunk back up as fast.

Top Bottom