Harbor Freight / No-Mar Conundrum

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Thanks Phil- I appreciate the time you took and the effort that you made.

It was my assumption that the motorcycle adapter screwed in to the center post of the base replacing the cone that would normally hold a rim down if being used for a car wheel. It seems that the motorcycle adapter fits over the center post of the base and does not screw in to it. If this is the case I have no idea what shaft size they are referring to.

Also- what keeps the motorcycle adapter from rotating when trying to dismount / mount a tire? There must be more than just the knob that they show in the pictures.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Also- what keeps the motorcycle adapter from rotating when trying to dismount / mount a tire? There must be more than just the knob that they show in the pictures.
On my HF setup. The is an anti-rotation shaft for doing car wheels that the MC unit fits over. Then the locking screw helps in keeping the adapter from turning. I would provide a picture, but my setup is at a friends house. I rent and he allowed me to put anchors in his garage floor.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Andrew - If you click on the first picture, you'll see there is a 'tab' on the motorcycle attachment with a L-shaped 'pin' that drops into a hole the changer (I had to re-weld mine back to the attachment after many years of use). And as Kevin said, there is also a locking screw that is not clear in the pictures. If you noticed, I also have long bolts in the wheel grabbers for a reason - they make a nice 'holder' for the bead breaker handle when you flip the rim over. ;-) The rod in the center goes through the axle hole and is clamped (another locking screw) by the arm. I keep the arm unbolted so I don't have to remove the center rod when changing the tire (it gets sort of locked in when you cinch down the wheel grabbers (Loosen the locking screw and lift up the arm and take the tire off/on). And the broom handle that is bungie corded to the arm goes through the spokes of the rim to keep the rim from turning in the grabbers - cheap and it does not hurt the rim at all since it's wood.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Thanks guys- now I see how it holds on to the base without rotating. Since the specs I posted earlier are in respect to the tire changer base and not the motorcycle adapter I guess the different shaft sizes that they are referring to are in regards to the center post that a car rim center hole fits over. So unless the HF motorcycle adapter base inside diameter is big enough that it can fit over the larger 50mm shaft it can only be used with the smaller 8" to 16" tire changer base. I wish there was a HF in VT or eastern NY so I could go have a look. The retailer up here who sells this stuff no longer sells the motorcycle adapter so I can't check it out.

Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Nothing. Had a deal lined up on a used No-Mar (they never come up for sale used!) a couple of hundred miles away from me so I put my efforts there. It never happened and I never got back to this project. Thanks for the reminder- I have to look in to this again.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I purchased a HF adapter and it won't screw down all the way. Exchanged it. 2nd same experience. Anyone else have the same experience?

Nothing. Had a deal lined up on a used No-Mar (they never come up for sale used!) a couple of hundred miles away from me so I put my efforts there. It never happened and I never got back to this project. Thanks for the reminder- I have to look in to this again.
Ok, Let us know what you get.

I purchased a HF adapter and it won't screw down all the way. Exchanged it. 2nd same experience. Anyone else have the same experience?
Can't help you there sorry,
I did not get mine yet.
I thought they just say on the other machine, and tightened up with a knob.
But I'm not sure.

Top Bottom