Your loyality tested

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I think most of us are a little older and probably can afford to ride what we like at this point. I'd be surprised if too many people would choose something different unless it's a BMW that they lust after. I can understand how BMW's recent problems could make you think twice about buying one until they get things sorted out.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
I'd love a fully decked out Super Tenere. Or equally nice would be a MG Stelvio / Ducati Multi Strada !!

I guess all of this points to my current desire/tempered passion for a nice big adv/dual sport bike. One that can still match the STs for comfort, while at the same time not restrict riding opportinities off-road when they do arise.

Regards,
Vishnu

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Why are there no superbike takers yet?! ;-)
I toured on Yamaha sportbikes for years, my last being an FZR1000. Between the uncomfortable ride and chain maintenance it was do-able, but I knew better options were available. My friend and I rode from SoCal to Banff on a GSXR1100 and FZ750 back in the late '80s, so I know it can be done, or at least it was possible when I was a younger man. Now after 17 years riding the same ST, I've come to appreciate it as being not particularly good at any one thing, but its the most enjoyable bike to ride that I've ever owned. And now that I'm an old fart that isn't out carving canyons on the weekends, sportbikes have lost most of their appeal to me. Also, for me riding sportbikes always meant occasional crashing, and with the ST I'm less aggressive in my riding style, which is probably a good thing.

So bottom line for me on this question is I have plenty of spare cash laying around, but I'm still totally happy with my red '97 ST so I have no desire to replace it with anything at this point.
Understood and agreed ... it was really a rhetorical question that I didn't expect needed an answer. :)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Understood and agreed ... it was really a rhetorical question that I didn't expect needed an answer. :)
I guess since for so many years those were the only bikes that 'existed' in my mind, I still think there's a lot to like about them, so I thought you were posing a legitimate question. But given the more 'mature' audience of this forum maybe there isn't as much crossover as I might have thought. I've always owned a sportbike (or two) along with my ST up until my most recent crash several years ago where the insurance company decided to total the bike even though it had mostly cosmetic damage and I rode it home from the crash.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
If someone was to give me a brand new BMW - anything , I would sell it immediately and buy 2 used , low mileage ST1300s. But I still love my present ST1300 and my old 'Wing , I'll probably never buy any more bikes , with the possible exception of getting an Aptera , if they ever get around to producing them .

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
When I purchased my ST I was in this very position. After my previous bike being one I "settled" on because I was trying to save money and be responsible, my then-wife told me to get the bike I want, period. I finally agreed. After much research, drooling, and decision-making I went for the ST1300. I've never regretted my choice.

Because of some changing tastes, and also because of the available options, my next bike will be the new Yamaha Super Tenere ES. I will NOT get rid of the ST for it yet- I want to wait to see which I ride and why. If I could only have one (which IS the original question), I would have to flip a coin, but only after I get some saddle time on the S-10 to see how it compares.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I will NOT get rid of the ST for it yet- I want to wait to see which I ride and why. If I could only have one (which IS the original question), I would have to flip a coin, but only after I get some saddle time on the S-10 to see how it compares.
Yes , I was sure glad I didn't trade in my trusty old '91 GoldWing when I tried that '08 BMW R1200RT. It would have been a horrible mistake since the 'wing was still extremely reliable and the BMW was the worst , unreliable purchase I ever did.

Bike
03 ST1300
I would take a 2014 BMW GS Adventure with all the trimmings. (I was at the BMW National Rally in St. Paul last month and at the Touratech booth they had one decked out with EVERY accessory that Tourtech makes for it - over $14,000 JUST in accessories!)

There's something about being perched on top of that big SUV of motorcycles.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I wanted an ST1300 the first time I saw one, but it took me seven more years to actually make the purchase. Before that I looked at lots of alternatives in the sport touring category that my wife and I could both be comfortable on, but that I could thrash a little when the mood hit and that I could maintain myself. I still haven't seen anything that meets my needs better.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
FJRSE or S10SE!!!! Honda does not to want make a bike I would buy. Nobody else makes a bike I can trust to get me there and back without an extended trip to the Dealer!

Bike
2007 ST1300A
BMW K1600GT with the parameters given. (Free lifetime maintenance)
+1 At least I think. Never rode one but I sure like the looks and sound. Lifetime maintenance with a loaner would be a must have though.

Sixstring

Mad English modifier of bikes!
Hmm! GOOD QUESTION!

It'd be a toss-up between a brand new BMW K1600 or a ST1300........unless Honda bring out the ST1600 they are talking about at the moment, if so, no choice then.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Interesting question with some interesting answers.

I really have no idea. Right now the 04 ST-1300A and the 03 919 fit my needs. I will admit I normally ride the ST and the 919 sits. As I get older comfort plays more of a part in it although my love for the sport side of things hasn't died down any. Just giving this question some thought for the last few minutes reading the thread and I can't pin point an answer. Not sure what that means.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Ok I'm in. Given the parameters, I'd have one of these: 2013 BMW F800GS Adventure with all the goodies.
That is pretty much what I would choose as well, even that colour. Last year I had a F800GS for an hour and I really enjoyed the ride except I could start feeling the seat creating a little discomfort. The F800GSA did not come out till a month or two after I rode the GS and the GSA with the larger fuel tank it would have enough range for my needs. A couple of weeks ago I rode a G650GS for 300 km and had no discomfort so it may have been just me that day last year and we where riding in the rain which may have made me little tense on an unfamiliar bike.

Gerhard

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
The top choices in my circle of gearheads were Erik Buells EBR RS, Ducati 1199R, BMW K1600GT, BMW R1200 GSA LC, Norton 750 Commando, Honda CB550 Turbo, MV Augusta F4, BMW HP4, Royal Enfield (military), Harley Davidson (Panhead), BMW R75. There were some others but these seem to stand out. Most interesting was no mention of a "Busa" ,CBR or "Ninja"

Top Bottom