front fork questions?

Bike
98 st1100
STOC #
hi all, I have a 98 non-abs st1100. its my understanding that honda used a progressive rate spring on the non abs models. I would like to install a standard rate spring instead, preferably sonicsprings. Has anyone done this, and what might I need to do to make it work correctly? would I need to change or add valving? emulators? cartridges or such? is am I wasting time and money? or should I just replace it with a progressive spring? I just added a works pro racer on the rear and would like a comparable front end. I currently have 55k on the original front springs. thanks and safe travels!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
hi all, I have a 98 non-abs st1100. its my understanding that honda used a progressive rate spring on the non abs models. I would like to install a standard rate spring instead, preferably sonicsprings. Has anyone done this, and what might I need to do to make it work correctly? would I need to change or add valving? emulators? cartridges or such? is am I wasting time and money? or should I just replace it with a progressive spring? I just added a works pro racer on the rear and would like a comparable front end. I currently have 55k on the original front springs. thanks and safe travels!
I think you're basically looking at two options, new springs, and the emulators. Many folks here have replaced the springs with Sonics, if all you want is a different spring rate then new springs and spacers will accomplish that goal, and people here can give advice regarding spacer length vs. weight. Adding the emulators is another step towards being able to tune the suspension response better. Folks here can answer questions about those too. Given that you're still stuck with a 700lb+ sportTourer when you're done, you're not going to turn it into a sportbike just by putting in emulators and changing the spring rate. So depending on your goals, and your perception of the changes, its your call as to whether its a waste of time and money. Since I came from a sportbike to the ST, I just preloaded the forks a bit more for some extra ground clearance, went to a heavier fork oil, and called it a day. So I can't help you with any specifics regarding the aftermarket options.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
You can call Racetech and talk to a rep about their "Gold Cup Emulators" and they will enlighten you as the mythology of setting them up as to the type of ride you are looking for. They may also help you pick the springs you want to install along with the emulators. While I know little about custom tuning a front end, I can witness the fact that a good front end makes all the difference in the world. One thing to keep in mind is you want the front and the back working in unison... having one or the other on a different page is not good.

OP
OP
Bike
98 st1100
STOC #
im leaning towards the works dual rate springs w/o emulators. if I used the sonic standard rate spring would I need to add anything? or can I just put them in with the stock cartridge and damping set up?

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
im leaning towards the works dual rate springs w/o emulators. if I used the sonic standard rate spring would I need to add anything? or can I just put them in with the stock cartridge and damping set up?
Not sure exactly what you're asking. You can always swap the springs without doing anything else, they're mechanically interchangeable if that's what you're asking. In other words, you don't have to swap out any other components just to change the springs. You will possibly need to change the length of the preload spacers, but that's all.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
thanks for clearing that up for me. now I need to find some testimonial from someone that uses the works front spring set up?
It would help if you provided information on what it is about the stock springs that you don't like. Some folks here are larger/heavier than others, some ride solo, others 2-up, some load more gear on the bike, so they each need a different fork setup. You can probably mis-adjust a Works spring as easily as mis-adjusting the stock spring, so you have to provide some information on what problem you're trying to solve. Some folks replace the springs because the stock springs are just too soft for the load they typically carry, maybe you fall into that category, maybe not, we can't guess what you're trying to accomplish.

OP
OP
Bike
98 st1100
STOC #
I have a few bikes and the 1100 is too soft for my liking. I would like something comparable to my other bikes. I would like to use the same brand springs to compliment the rear works suspension. im not a canon carver and dont try to ride it like a sport bike. right now the stock front does not work well with the works rear. anyone happen to know soneone that uses the works front springs?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
You can always swap the springs without doing anything else...
But one should go with a matching fork oil weight as well...

Fork springs will sag over years/mileage/conditions their used in...
And with conditions we talk comfort...
One could go with 15 or 20W oil, but suffer sore wrists soon...
Same on very stiff "race-type" springs...
Had Wilbers 2-step progressives with the by them recommended 20W oil... forget it, only bearable on race track tarmac smooth as a glass table...
Tried different weights like 15, 10, 7, yet even 5W with them... no cure...
Changed to linear progressive wound Hyperpro springs and ended up with 7W oil... for me the right compromise and match to the Wilbers rear shock...

Top Bottom