ST1300 running rough at low speeds

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I have read a lot about how smooth the ST1300 is. I had my ST1100 for several years and now have a 2007 ST1300, which I have been riding for about a year. I live in Seattle with lots of traffic and stop-and-go conditions etc. Whenever I am moving slowly in 1st or 2nd gear (between 1,500 and 2,000 RPM), I don't feel it is very smooth at all. The bike is an absolute joy to ride at "normal" speeds etc. but I certainly don't enjoy the slow moving traffic due to this rather rough engine behavior. Almost feels like it doesn't get quite enough fuel when the throttle is almost in the idle position and bike in gear. The bike idles perfectly normal in neutral and accelerates like a champ.

I wonder if this is normal behavior. Has anyone else observed the same? Try riding very slowly in 1st gear at 2,000 RPM and see what you think. Maybe something I have to live with :confused:

Input greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Morten

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
.02 that's the fuel map from throttle open to close and back. (emissions control)
There was an ivan's fuel cut eliminator and an ecentric cam throttle tube to deaden the start of the throttle rotation.
Best bet is to modulate the clutch and stay in the power band and practice using the throttle. A little rotation goes a long way down there.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Whenever I am moving slowly in 1st or 2nd gear (between 1,500 and 2,000 RPM)...
You're lugging the engine. At speeds that would merit those kinds of RPMs in first gear, you should be using the friction zone.

--Mark

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I interpret you're likely just barely cracking the throttle and then coasting the throttle as traffic changes speed a bit (I don't see that as lugging the engine).

The ST1300 is mapped pretty lean, and the way the fuel cutoff works results in an abrubt transition between slight power and no power--the ST1300 just has unrefined fuel managment at low RPM. You can help it a bit by feathering the clutch and also by running higher RPM in first (rather than upshifing to second) in those situations.

:shrug1:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
G2 throttle tamer...cable adjustment....tb sync....keep rpms up and use clutch to remain in friction zone instead of throttle .02

OP
OP
Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
This sounds just right. No lugging here IMO. Engine sounds happy, it is just that jerky moving forward at those dreaded high traffic situations where you are barely moving, and fuel management definitely could be the culprit. Thanks

OP
OP
Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Using the clutch constantly for 15-30 minutes does not sound like much fun either. Might prefer the somewhat jerky movements...

I wonder if this is normal behavior. Has anyone else observed the same? Try riding very slowly in 1st gear at 2,000 RPM and see what you think.
I don't have this issue .... and I do the same "low speed procedure" as you do.

As Larry (Igofar) stated, adjust cables and perform a starter valve sync (since you never mentioned whether it's been done or not).

When the light turns green, I use the minimum of clutch ... "just enough" throttle and clutch [slip] to give the bike forward momentum, then I completely release the clutch - when I look down at the tach, the average is 1500. The same goes for stop lights\signs - as I'm slowing down, when the tach hits 1500, I pull the clutch lever back and readjust the gears.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have not had this problem with my 07, I did adjust the throttle cables which made a big difference when on and off the throttle making it easier to keep it real smooth.

OP
OP
Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I think I might try the starter valve adjustment. Looks like fun and if nothing else a validation of the synchronization. I have never done this and with 40,000 miles, it might be time. And cable adjustment of couse as that is easy.

OP
OP
Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Just received the carb synchronization tool in the mail. I plan to do the TB sync in a few weeks and will post the results...

OP
OP
Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Just completed the TB sync. It was kind of fun and a little adjustment was needed. It definitely idles smoother now. Tachometer used to move around slightly around 900 RPM, but now it remains completely steady when engine idles. Can't wait till I hit some slow traffic this coming week so I can check if this has helped on my original problem. Thanks to all for good advice!

OP
OP
Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Just completed the TB sync. It was kind of fun and a little adjustment was needed. It definitely idles smoother now. Tachometer used to move around slightly around 900 RPM, but now it remains completely steady when engine idles. Can't wait till I hit some slow traffic this coming week so I can check if this has helped on my original problem. Thanks to all for good advice!
It has now been about a month since I did the TB sync. The dreaded 1,500 RPM slow moving traffic behavior has improved slightly - it feels a little smoother. Idling is definitely smoother - and it still is a pleasure to drive at normal and high speeds.

I also noticed this issue between 1500 and 2500 revs...
Seems to be too much lean, like my Busa was before setting.
Unfortunatly, there is no tool for injection adjustment.

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Those traffic days are when I seriously considered the VFR with the dual clutch transmission (automatic transmission so to speak)..........but I digress.

OP
OP
Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I had what may be a very similar problem with my 2006 St1300 18 months ago. It turned out to be ht lead related.

Read my original post here

And the detailed follow up of the solution here.

Worth noting is that this is one of the few times i have resorted to using a honda dealer to check it over. They told me that they could find nothing wrong with it for a bike of that age, even though i told them exactly how to make the fault occur. It felt like riding on a rough road surface. It never felt as though it would stall or stop. It sounded fine, but felt rough.

I too had comments about using too high a gear, but i have ridden the bike long enough to know how it feels in different gears, and this didn't feel right - although it took me a while to convince myslef that it wasn't just me imagining things.
This is interesting! Your observations are very similar to mine and I will definitely check the HT leads and coils next time I'm in there...Great write-up for sure!. Thanks.

Top Bottom