Fly N Ride Delima

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
I am preparing to do a long Fly n Ride, >2k miles, and expecting to encounter a variety of weather conditions while keeping my packing to a minimum. Packing will include bike tools, gps, riding gear, and to keep costs to a minimum camping gear (w/o cooking).

So the questions I have are what can be carried on plane vs what must be checked. I am thinking I will pack my personal kit, minimum change of clothes, and electronics in my tank bag/back pack. Wear/carry on helmet, riding jacket, pants, and boots. Then will probably have to check bag containing tent and tools in dry bag.

Also looking for suggestion re routes and camping from Maine to Texas will only have about a week available before I must be back.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I brought mine back from PA to TN, a year ago. I put all electronics in helmet, which didn't count as carry-on. Jacket and pants, along with underware, socks, and tee's went into nylon bag with compression straps, which helped get it down to carry-on dimensions. Can't help you with the tent. I had enough points for a free night in Roanoke. It was great trip. 875 miles in 26 hours.

Just had a thought! Could you send your stuff by UPS? It would sure make the trip easier. If your flight charges for the checked bag, you might even save some money.

Check your dates. You may be able to catch an event on your way home.

John

Last edited:
Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bought mine in Peoria Ill and drove it home to B.C., Canada.
I took the wife and we really overpacked. Had to go to the post office and send 1/2 the (her) gear home. You might have a bit more space if your by yourself.
We took a duffle bag and checked it in at the airport. Work out well.
Don't forget rain gear and extra gloves.
Hope you can open the link below showing our trip. We flew from point A to B.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Coquitlam,+BC&daddr=Peoria,+IL,+USA+to:St.+Louis,+MO,+United+States+to:Lee's+Summit,+MO,+USA+to:Dodge+City,+KS,+United+States+to:Santa+Fe,+NM,+United+States+to:Taos,+NM,+United+States+to:Flagstaff,+AZ,+United+States+to:Grand+Canyon+Village,+AZ,+United+States+to:Page,+AZ,+United+States+to:St.+George,+AZ,+United+States+to:Las+Vegas,+NV,+USA+to:Reno,+NV,+USA+to:Klamath+Falls,+OR,+USA+to:Crater+Lake+National+Park,+Klamath+County,+OR,+United+States+to:Port+Coquitlam,+BC&geocode=FbMC8AIdClOu-CmfXsJayHiGVDHPdu4udmhXWQ;FZHvbAIdBvuo-imteVhTXFkKiDHbgH1rMvT7yg;FbpmTQIdlKqf-in5ju36qbTYhzFb4Lsiyuo5vg;FXm7UQIdpNdf-in9lrWo9t_AhzGHsQeg6cLSCA;Fd4PQAIdSdwJ-inhGclLGhunhzFDPRnmUzTmjQ;FT-KIAIdeYSv-SmpUpjnQ1AYhzFA34j9cyOQjA;FdCHKwIdNhW1-Smx_BF_2mQXhzGCt6lhg5HqkA;FUwVGQIdGlZY-SkxJi7a944thzEAs9vOoTwfjg;FawlJgIdseBQ-Skl4_-VTxczhzGhniKadMLMuA;FSJGMwIdp1Fb-SmPdc39WxM0hzE5TjhTUS-Ybg;FYkLNQIdgP07-SEvBEimGYgAJimfrg7XI0XKgDEvBEimGYgAJg;FdXoJwIdChsj-SnRffWkgre-gDGjebPV5tXMOg;FaEsWwIdVcnb-CmdoJKSrkCZgDGH9zh0zsXFQA;FeNMhAIdWsK9-CnjDvJoWdTIVDEml7ko9X-N9A;FdkejgIdYtu3-CGj4y9F4fIrkCk54-VACBfGVDGj4y9F4fIrkA;Ffaw7wIdcYKu-CnVn9be_tWFVDGzuBm7wEWdoQ&sll=37.095922,-95.710745&sspn=0.042651,0.087891&hl=en

Bike
92 ST1100
I am preparing to do a long Fly n Ride, >2k miles, and expecting to encounter a variety of weather conditions while keeping my packing to a minimum. Packing will include bike tools, gps, riding gear, and to keep costs to a minimum camping gear (w/o cooking).

So the questions I have are what can be carried on plane vs what must be checked. I am thinking I will pack my personal kit, minimum change of clothes, and electronics in my tank bag/back pack. Wear/carry on helmet, riding jacket, pants, and boots. Then will probably have to check bag containing tent and tools in dry bag.

Also looking for suggestion re routes and camping from Maine to Texas will only have about a week available before I must be back.
Sounds like you got it pretty well figured out, IMO.............now where'd I park that STeed?:confused::D.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

What are you going to buy? Another ST1100 or a ST1300 or a FJR or??????? Is your ST1100 broken?

OP
OP
NuHondaGuy
Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
What are you going to buy? Another ST1100 or a ST1300 or a FJR or??????? Is your ST1100 broken?
Chuck you know I love my '95. She is a stately beauty (red), comfortable and extremely reliable that has faithfully taken to the road with me for more than 60,000 miles in the last 6 years.. And while I admit the new FJR does make me want to consider a dalliance. I recognize it is as simply an attraction best confined to my dreams. Plus I do love my wife and would like her to keep me around and in a condition I can still ride :D.

But in the end I was seduced by a very low mileage 97 ST1100A, who promises to be just as beautiful (red), comfortable and reliable while offering me more sizzle (40amp) and safer road sex with her ABS and TC.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
+1 on shipping most of your stuff via UPS.... avoid the hassles by the security goons at the airport!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I did a fly and ride and packed all my riding gear into a soft bag including heated gloves and a heated coat with no problems at the airport. Good luck.

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
FWIW, I did a fly-n-ride last year & packed for camping. I had the gear packed in a duffel & was within the max weight....but my duffel was OVERSIZED!! Cost me an extra $70, I think......so, as others have suggested, ship your stuff.

John

OP
OP
NuHondaGuy
Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
Well I picked up the bike in Bangor Maine, visited with my daughter in Topsham then headed back to Texas with the 97 ST1100A. It had just over 29,950 miles on it at the time. It was a little rough from lack of riding but a couple of tanks of Sea Foam and Techron gas treatment has cleared the low speed jets and smoothed the response, not as quick responding as the 95, yet but hopefully soon. It averaged up to 48+ mpg on the 2325 ride home and is cleaning up nicely. Waiting on new filters, brakes, spark plugs and replacing a damaged front fender to make it look and ride new again.

It was not an easy decision to buy basically a twin to my 95 since it has been such a reliable bike for the past 6 years. Yet I felt the 97 would provide me with a good solid and reliable bike with ABS and Traction Control, 40 amp alternator and 65,000 fewer miles.

Question for the masses
- I am considering switching my Heli-bars from the 95 with the current aftermarket risers on the 97, since there is about 1 1/2" difference plus the Heli-bars offer variable adjustments. Does anyone know if the cable lengths on the standard 1100 and the ABS version are the same or will I need to get longer lines?

Answers to my concerns of the Fly-n-Ride
- I ended up picking up a Maine temporary tag good for 10 days to ride it home, cost was $12, and once back home got the state inspection completed and new tags in Texas.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Consider shipping your gear, as other suggest. I did a fly and ride last year to the left coast. When my checked bag was a few pounds over the limit, the airline was going to charge me $70. Ouch! I stepped aside, opened the bag, exchanged boat shoes for boots and stuffed my various RAM balls and arms into my (carry on) camera bag, waiting in line again, and asked for the bag to be reweighed....just under the limit. Carrying a helmet made me suspect in the eyes of the TSA and I got much more questioning and a more thorough security check than others in line were getting. All of this took time. I made my plane, but just barely. In retrospect, it would have been simpler to ship my gear.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Congrats Dave, always nice to have a long ride to get used to the new ride...

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Dave, Congrats on the new to you ride. We need to get together for a ride one of these days. I'm back to it.

OP
OP
NuHondaGuy
Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
.... I'm back to it.
Gary I'm glad to hear the hand is better, I know it has been difficult for you not getting to ride. I'm still in the process of getting the bike in shape by doing some deferred maintenance, but will give you a call soon.

Top Bottom