Sticky turn signal

It was into the 50s this morning and right turn signal was slow to respond. It's the same issue I had in the fall. I sprayed some tuner cleaner in there and it helped for a bit, but I know that the turn signal assembly has to be taken apart, cleaned, lubed with dielectric and reassembled. Before I go in there is there anything "special" I should know about......

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I took apart my last turn signal on my previous bike, it had a few small springs in there. If I ever have to do it on the ST, I'm going to stick it in a zip lock bag while I'm disassembling it so I don't loose those pesky springs.

Bike
92 ST1100
When I took apart my last turn signal on my previous bike, it had a few small springs in there. If I ever have to do it on the ST, I'm going to stick it in a zip lock bag while I'm disassembling it so I don't loose those pesky springs.
Good idea.........or you can throw all the pieces in a plastic paint can cap full of EvapoRust..........does magic, even makes the outer switch look new;):D.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Good idea.........or you can throw all the pieces in a plastic paint can cap full of EvapoRust..........does magic, even makes the outer switch look new;):D.
Does everything get tossed in that stuff Brant? It does not hurt anything?
I have done a bunch of bolts/screws in Pine-Sol, it worked great, but it appears to take a coating off because many rust quite easily now.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Make sure you're using a plastic safe contact cleaner. iirc the red can of CRC QD electronic cleaner is one. That was enough for my switch pods.
Don't know what the 11 switch pod looks like but the 13 doesn't explode springs bearings blinker fluid etc when taken apart.
Good idea to keep your finger oils (and acids) off them as much as possible.

If they're plain contacts a newish pencil eraser works well for cleaning contacts without being too abrasive.

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I just put the red straw on a can of WD40 in one of the cracks and soak it. Usually I hit several of the cracks. Operate the switch while spraying. Lay a rag/towel to catch the overflow. This last 3-4 years and thousands of miles. Cheap, quick and easy. This also works on the High/Low head light switch.

Soak it with WD40 and 10 minutes later, Go Ride!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I unscrewed the left switch and used spray cleaner with an acid brush until I felt it was *perfect*.
I then filled the entire area with dielectric grease from one of the pressurized cans about 9 years ago on the '01 and haven't had to go back into that switch.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I just put the red straw on a can of WD40 in one of the cracks and soak it. Usually I hit several of the cracks. Operate the switch while spraying. Lay a rag/towel to catch the overflow. This last 3-4 years and thousands of miles. Cheap, quick and easy. This also works on the High/Low head light switch.

Soak it with WD40 and 10 minutes later, Go Ride!
+1 on the WD40. Also great sprayed on a rag and used for cleaning dirty brake caliper surfaces, or similar greasy dirt areas. Used it also to remove wax residue left on the grey plastic by an overzealous previous owner and looks like new parts.

Top Bottom