headed out to buy the Sena 20 a question before wasting money

I am headed out to buy the Sena 20s. The only reason I want to but the system is to be able to hear music from my phone via Blue tooth. I have read mixed reviews with respect to the audio level. it appears that some say they can hear the music at hwy speed while others say it cant be heard over 40mph.

I presently have a hard wired set of speakers from a head set affixed inside my helmet and I can not hear the music at hwy speed now with that set up in my shoei qwuest helmet. I will be using the sena in a Shoei RJ Platinum R 3/4 helmet. will this be a waste of money. I read where somebody uses molded earplugs with speakers wired in. Never heard of those nor do I know where to get them. Will I be wasting my money getting the sena 20?

OP
OP
Flatbroke
I have a cardo scala rider 2 but that doesn't have blue tooth to phone capabilities so I don't use it. intercom system was fine with the scala but the VOX stayed on constant due to wind noise and was annoying. I have had it since 09 and don't use it any longer. hate to waste 500 on a new system and be disappointed with the result

I am headed out to buy the Sena 20s. The only reason I want to but the system is to be able to hear music from my phone via Blue tooth.
Seems overkill ($$$) to buy the 20s just for listening to music via Bluetooth.

I bought an SMH5-FM a couple of months ago and it works great. Can hear music at speed and around town.
The communications portion works great too. It has a nice, small, form-factor compared to the "10" and way less $$$ than a 20.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
Well, I got the Sena 20S dual box, it was on sale local for 464. and I ended up getting a 3/4 helmet Shoei RJ platinum R to mount mine to. They are installing them on the helmets for me so I don't have to mess with it. I know its easy but I don't care to do that stuff and since it is free I figured what the heck. Should make my ride up to Russells seat for the build later this month a lot nicer and will be nice to hear music up through Oregon and Idaho on the way back.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Please let us know how they work for you. I am thinking of getting the 20S myself. But the reviews are so hit and miss on them right now.

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
I have an Interphone F5, I've used it for a couple of years now. It has intercom, phone, FM, and an auxiliary input. The newest version will also pair up with other brand BT systems. It can be turned loud enough that I can use it any time. When paired to both my Zumo and phone it will play music from Pandora and give route directions. The weak link here is the Garmin, it makes the sound break up occasionally, not constantly. I just bought 1 so I could use my phone and listen to the Zumo audio, it was about $250 when I called Helmet City and argued.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
Please let us know how they work for you. I am thinking of getting the 20S myself. But the reviews are so hit and miss on them right now.
Yup that was my concern too but I said heck with it and got it. I don't have a GPS as I carry an atlas still. Music and talk to my wife via intercom will be nice

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I have a cardo scala rider 2 but that doesn't have blue tooth to phone capabilities so I don't use it. intercom system was fine with the scala but the VOX stayed on constant due to wind noise and was annoying. I have had it since 09 and don't use it any longer. hate to waste 500 on a new system and be disappointed with the result
If you still have your book, there is a way to disable the VOX. Can't remember off-hand how to do it but I know you can.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
I still have the stuff for the scala rider q2. I tried giving them to Igofar but he didn't want it. Heck I'd of taken them as they were free. Guess my brother and dad can use them. I tried the sena 20 on the way home today 50 miles. Sound is great. Had to turn the volume down and I was wearing an open face 3/4 helmet. I put the windshield down and called the wife. At 75 she couldn't hear any wind noise but could tell I was on a Bluetooth device. She and a friend said it was very clear reception. I heard them great also. So far I am very pleased. The music streaming from XM off of my phone was great

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks. I'm still on the fence. I want to see them work the bugs out first. I'm sure I'll have one soon.
What bugs are you talking about? I have the smh10s and they have worked well but would really like the option to listen to gps and music while on the intercom at the same time, the gps instructions will cut out the intercom at the moment so the 20s feature to have them all heard at the same time is cool.. also the ambient noise button would be great - can't tell you how many times I said "I can't hear you, I have ear plugs in" on my last trip.. LOL

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I agree Joe but for the price the SMH10 is adequate. I used the BT Interphone headsets that were very inexpensive like $100 for a pair they worked ok but the sound was terrible the SENA sound quality is much better.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yes, I would imagine the price would come down to the smh10s in a couple years. I just wish they'd added 2 stereo connections but, maybe the next version.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I have been looking at the reviews on them. Seems some love it and some rip it pretty good. I don't care about the FM part. I want to use my GPS, IPhone, and bike to bike.

Bike
2005 ST1300
The SMH 10 will do that I added an SM10 so that both me and my passenger can listen to XM.
Steve
Do you use a satellite XM radio or the phone app?

I am a bit confused about the technology on the app. Is it the same type as Pandora? Seems like I am in the middle of nowhere quite often and I want to listen to music or talk radio but have no cell coverage. I don't want to invest the time into installing an XM satellite radio so I'm looking for alternatives? Suggestions?

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I use XM through my Zumo I don't think phone signals are reliable enough for the places we ride. I also have mp3's on the Zumo.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Thanks. I'm still on the fence. I want to see them work the bugs out first. I'm sure I'll have one soon.
If there are any bugs.. they will be patched in the firmware updates. If the follow the same pattern for the 20's they followed for the 10, the updates will be quickly addressing any bugs that might pop up and they'll be adding features you never even thought of and didn't know you needed.

I have a pair of the 10's. I take them both along on my long solo rides. Half way through the day I swap the units so I can charge back up the used one before it's battery gets low. Then once I camp for the night it takes less time to charge up the other one.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have a pair of the 10's. I take them both along on my long solo rides. Half way through the day I swap the units so I can charge back up the used one before it's battery gets low. Then once I camp for the night it takes less time to charge up the other one.
That's pretty much how I was doing it on my recent trip. On day one I got 8 hrs out of one so less than I expected but maybe since they sit for a month before use it makes a difference. I think the low battery warning is a bit comical... 'low battery' then it clicks off.. LOL, why not say 'low battery' with 10% remaining...

Top Bottom