headed out to buy the Sena 20 a question before wasting money

OP
OP
Flatbroke
Steve
Do you use a satellite XM radio or the phone app?

I am a bit confused about the technology on the app. Is it the same type as Pandora? Seems like I am in the middle of nowhere quite often and I want to listen to music or talk radio but have no cell coverage. I don't want to invest the time into installing an XM satellite radio so I'm looking for alternatives? Suggestions?
I have XM module so it plays on my harely radio built in. I added the XM computer availability and added the app to my phone. I don't need to have cell coverage to hear the XM all the time as I believe it stores several hours of play time. At some point you will need coverage so the app can reboot I suppose. I also paid for the upgraded slacker radio and can listen to what ever station I choose to while my phone is in airplane mode. The station does have to be chached for off line listening daily but works great. I have about 7 different stations or genres that I store.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The station does have to be chached for off line listening daily but works great.
Sprint is offering a 3 month free trial for the Spotify service. I signed up to give it a trial, at least I'll keep it through the trip to WeSToc and back.
It also has to wear you can cache a variety of tunes for off-line listening. I found that streaming the tunes while riding in the more remote areas, where you are constantly roaming, and the data is slow the battery really starts getting sucked dry.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
Yes I found that the battery does go Down fast also. I try to go in to airplane mode if
In a remote area aand that helps. I really do
need to install a cigarette plug by my handle bars to charge my phone when riding

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Depending on phone, conditions and other process's I have found that the charger may not keep up with the phone.
YMMV!

For your outlets, I put a pair of cig. lighter sockets in the dash, right in front of the right warming drawer, one is wired to be powered with bike on, the other is full time powered.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
How long does it normally take to fully charge these units with a wall plug? I have had it on charging for 5.5 hours and the light is still red. Can I leave the unit connected to the helmet when charging or does it have to come off? I currently have it mounted to the helmet and just plugged it in. The light was blue a couple hours ago and when I came back to put the helmet in my tour pack the light was red again.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Depends on how far down the charge was... I never really measure but I would think 5.5 would be good. They often say overnight for the initial charge. Don;t worry, with modern batteries and charge management you don;t really have to worry about over-charging.
If it was blue and then back to red would have me concerned a little. But just let it run it's course.

I'd use it for a few hours, even if not riding, just turn it on and let it sit. More juice will be used if you actually have it pair with something
Then shut it off and put it back on the charger.

Often new batteries need a few cycles to get them in 100% working condition.
ohh.. also.. the unit can be charged on or off the helmet. Charges faster if shut off, but can be used while charging. BTDT.

How long does it normally take to fully charge these units with a wall plug? I have had it on charging for 5.5 hours and the light is still red.
Yea, My SMH5-FM had a long charge cycle.

The light was blue a couple hours ago and when I came back to put the helmet in my tour pack the light was red again.
Yea, weird isn't it ... i saw the same thing ... saw a blue light after 4 hours, then grabbed a bite to eat and came back and it was red again.
I just left it and it turned blue again.

BTW ... did you upgrade the firmware ???

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
The upgrade version of Slacker also lets you download channels for later playback. Something Pandora and the apps don't do.

STOC #
Spotify lets you download for later playback, I've been using that method for a year, works great anywhere. Just got my Sena 20S, mounted to the helmet today. Have not ridden with it yet, but there seems to be plenty of volume available.

John_Diego

Site Supporter
Bike
ST-1300/GL1800
I got my Sena 20S last Friday - set it up and tried all the functions at home. Had trouble with the hard wire option for MP3 player, you really have to push the cable in with more force then you think, make sure it is in all the way. Couldn't get the tap function to work - turns out I was tapping to fast - you have to tap slowly - on the helmet close to the unit works best for me rather then tapping the unit itself.

Took a short ride around town Sunday worked fine - today on the freeway 60-70 not so good, speakers suck on FM - tomorrow I'll try Bluetooth music from my phone - hope that works, bought it for listening to music while I'm riding.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
Mine works great on an open face 3/4 up to triple digits streaming XM off of my phone. I used nav and music for firts time today, ever for that matter and it worked flawless

Top Bottom