2010 stiff throttle

I just bought a ST 1300 2010 the throttle is very hard what can be done to fix this. I checked 6 other bikes at the dealer for sale and they were all very hard to turn. The throttle will return very quick when you let go doesn't seem to be binding any suggestions.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sounds like there must be something putting friction on the cables as it should not be hard to open the throttle.

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Need more info... any new additions like handle bar risers, or a throttle lock/cruise ?
It should not be difficult to open/close.
If there are no mods to anything take a very close look at the housing and metal tubes from the housing to the start of the actual cables.
Remember there are two mechanical open/close.

OP
OP
The bike has no bar risers it does have throttle lock the throttle moves freely till the free play is gone throttle lock doesn't seem to be causing the issue is there a after market spring with less tension or a different throttle barrel that has better leverage to make the pull easier I did check one of the bikes at another dealer and it was very easy to turn.
I just bought a ST 1300 2010 the throttle is very hard what can be done to fix this. I checked 6 other bikes at the dealer for sale and they were all very hard to turn. The throttle will return very quick when you let go doesn't seem to be binding any suggestions.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Did you buy this bike new or used? If this is something you just got and are not comfortable tearing it apart to find the problem have the dealer you got the bike fix it for you as you just got it.

This weekend I took my tank off to get to the throttle cables. My return cable was getting stuck and I had to work lubricant into it to get it working. I also took the grip off and lubricated that. As a result I can tell you that the throttle should NOT be tight to open it, nor for it to return. I would bring it back to the dealer and have him look at it.

OP
OP
I finally had a chance to look into this issue. The cables all moved freely nothing sticking. It looks like the person who owned the bike before me thought the throttle was stiff they already greased the top cables and throttle grip to bars. I took one round of tension of the throttle spring on the right side of the bike the throttle snaps back good but now the throttle pull is great. This makes riding the bike more enjoyable no more right wrist fatigue.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I finally had a chance to look into this issue. The cables all moved freely nothing sticking. It looks like the person who owned the bike before me thought the throttle was stiff they already greased the top cables and throttle grip to bars. I took one round of tension of the throttle spring on the right side of the bike the throttle snaps back good but now the throttle pull is great. This makes riding the bike more enjoyable no more right wrist fatigue.
Where is the throttle spring that you're referring to? Is it under the air box at the throttle body assy?

OP
OP
Where is the throttle spring that you're referring to? Is it under the air box at the throttle body assy?

Yes the spring is under the air box you must remove the top and bottom of the air box. There are 2 springs that look the same I loosened the one closer to the right side of the bike. What a difference much easier pull and wrist doesn't get tired anymore.

Top Bottom