03 ST1300 engine rebuild

Bike
09 ST1300
Well it's good to know you have found your knock!! Were the retaining rings with the little bend over tabs that go over the screw heads holding the air snorkels on with tabs intact? That sure looks like one of the snorkel screws, and that is why I always replace the retainer rings with new when the airbox comes off. Good luck whatever you decide to go with:)

OP
OP
BigN8
Bike
06 ST1300
Well it's good to know you have found your knock!! Were the retaining rings with the little bend over tabs that go over the screw heads holding the air snorkels on with tabs intact? That sure looks like one of the snorkel screws, and that is why I always replace the retainer rings with new when the airbox comes off. Good luck whatever you decide to go with:)
None of them were missing either.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
None of them were missing either.
Do you know the previous owner, would be nice to find out if he had work done to the bike recently and if there was a missing screw and he bought a new one.
Sounds like this is turning into a CSI mystery.
When I remove my air box, the first thing I do is cover the intake throats with rags. Either stuff independent ones down each throat or a large one over all of them. I also make sure the butterfly valves always stay closed. Sounds like a screw landed on top of the butterfly's and someone cranked open the throttle.
The fear I have can turn into reality just like this engine has seen.

OP
OP
BigN8
Bike
06 ST1300
I'm trying to order a new rod bearing but there are 5 different thicknesses. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I'm trying to order a new rod bearing but there are 5 different thicknesses. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Should be the stock thickness, use a micrometer to measure it. They may have other sizes for wear on the crank?

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
See if you can see a bit of paint on the side of the bearing. My old Honda had them color coded. Thinking they still might do that.
Also, you will be buying it from Honda, take it in to them to verify that you get the correct bearing.

Bike
09 ST1300
There should be a number stamped on the rod near the big end split line 1,2,or 3. Crank journal codes are A,B,C stamped on the crank weight. The shells are colered from thickest to thinnest; Blue black brown green yellow. See the service manual pgs 13-11 and 13-12. There is a table there that will explain bearing selection. How does the existing bearing shell look? maybe it's ok just needs to be double checked for clearance with plastigage?

OP
OP
BigN8
Bike
06 ST1300
Give us a hint what you ordered. Valves, rod, piston, rings bearings etc.
All of above + a head, water pump seals, t-stat, and all gaskets needed. Hopefully have it road worthy in next few weeks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigN8
Bike
06 ST1300
Head and piston came in last week. And half of the gaskets are on back order. Partzilla is killing me!

On a good note I picked up a like new Sargent seat for a steal. And then my OCD made me buy the matching back rest cover & trunk pad.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigN8
Bike
06 ST1300
:D Gaskets finally arrived today!!! Reassembly will start Monday after work.

I bet that would make a great solo seat naked Bike with a small Positive pressure windshield.

It would probalely look very short and low if a single seat and remove all the rear section that hangs over the rear tire.

OP
OP
BigN8
Bike
06 ST1300
Finally reassembled the engine last weekend and put her all back together. New owner is picking her up tomorrow.

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
That is good to hear that you got all of the parts and got it back together. How does she run now?

Top Bottom