ST1300 Wiring Harness

Bike
Harley Davidson
After driving 15 minutes my FI (Fault Indicator) light came on. Took my ST to Loewer in Alexandria, La. and was told I needed a new wiring harness. I picked it up, paid $1,450.00, drove 15 minutes and it came on again. I took it back and after about three days I was told the computer had to be reset and it was fine. I drove it 15 minutes and it came on again. The markup on the harness by Loewer was $277.00. I was told by two Honda shops a complete wiring harness does not "go out". It's still in the shop and Honda does not know what is wrong with it. What do you think is wrong with it and should I take Loewer to small claims court since I paid $1,450.00 and I'm no better off?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Honda 1300ST Wiring Harness

When the FI light comes on many of us clean the vacuum hoses and the 5 way junction that connects them to the throttle bodies. It's common for oily goop to congeal in one or more hoses and the blockage trips the light.

I'd be asking the dealer what FI code the light blink combination indicated that required a new wiring harness.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Wow that sounds like they have no idea of what they are doing other then putting money in the bank. You have to read the codes and find the problem not replace the wire harness. Good luck with getting your bike back in working order. I would not pay for that harness.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

I was told by two Honda shops a complete wiring harness does not "go out".
Well, they do and they don't.

The main harness is a single field-replaceable unit, so if anything in it fails, the whole thing has to be replaced. Honda doesn't supply the individual parts, and most dealers aren't really qualified to disassemble, repair and reassemble the thing.

The dealer that replaced yours was probably guessing, and that one was pretty poor even as guesses go. Replacing the main harness is not a trivial job, and before you authorize one, they should be able to tell you precisely what failed, such as "there's a break in the pink and green wire between the ECM and the veeblefetzer."

If you'd like, we can help you identify exactly what the problem is. None of this is rocket science.

--Mark

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #

What do you think is wrong with it and should I take Loewer to small claims court since I paid $1,450.00 and I'm no better off?
I would start by insisting that you get your money back. If that doesn't work, small claims court might be an option depending on the laws in your state.

Your expensive encounter with dealer incompetence is an example of why many of us do our own maintenance and repair. There are lots of very knowledgeable folks on this site who would be glad to help you diagnose the problem and find a fix. All ya gotta do is ask.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #

If you paid by credit card you can contact them and file a claim to get your money back. You paid for a service. You did not get satisfactory service and you should not be required to pay for their tech's training. And since they replaced what was obviously a good wiring harnes you can tell them they are welcome to keep the old one since it would cost them so much to switch it back.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #

Sounds like to me you need to have a serious talk with this dealership.

If you bike is a 2003 model, some of them were delivered with faulty wiring harnesses to begin with and subject to a safety recall. Mine was in this group, Honda fixed it.

OP
OP
Bike
Harley Davidson

Contacted by Honda tech support. They're reviewing my case. They still don't know why the Fault Indicator light stays on.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #

I checked in the troubleshooting page in the service manual a while ago and it stated if you suspect a short circuit, replace the whole wiring unit.
Thinking they thought with the minimal amount of research and troubleshooting skills, just replace the whole unit.
Think it backfired in their face. IMO;)

OP
OP
Bike
Harley Davidson

Honda still has my ST. They suggested I was using a fuel additive and I assured them I don't. Then they suggested I was using regular unleaded fuel and not premium. I assured them I never used regular unleaded. Filed two complaints with BBB for the two sensors replaced and the new wiring harness that did not correct the problem.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Wow that is just wrong! You need to a competent mechanic and find out what is really wrong with that bike!!

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #

Stan Fletcher said:
Then they suggested I was using regular unleaded fuel and not premium
Wow, that's all I burn around town. If I head to the mountains, I put in premium. What were the 2 sensors that they also installed. Also, how many miles do you have on your bike.

OP
OP
Bike
Harley Davidson

Still fighting the battle of the wiring harness. On 8-13-14 Loewer Honda in Alexandria, La. replaced it for $1,448.93 (markup harness from $516.93 to $794.29). The FI (fault indicator or fuel injection, no to Honda workers agree) light came on 5-10 miles and went back to Loewer. They called me several days later and said it was ready. The light came on again 5-10 miles down the road. They then accused me of using regular gas, which I never have. They then accused me of using fuel additives, which I never have. They now ordered a "brain", also called a modular or ECU unit for about $900.00+. My question is, since they took out a perfectly good wiring harness, should I receive a $500.00 refund (difference between harness and "brain")? Filing a case in small claims court is $54.00. They called me and told me the "brain" is in and I have to take the bike to them Tuesday, the 21st. I'm tired of fighting Honda. I've been fighting the battle since Memorial Day weekend. The ST 1300 is 10 years old and has never cost me a dime, other than expected costs.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Wow, I am not sure what to think about that. The codes need to be read correctly and the proper repairs made. You should not have to pay to replace parts that were in working order. Good luck and keep us posted.

Bike
2012 ST1300A

What a bummer. A few things;
- don't waste any effort with BBB, they have no authority, power or influence.
- when they put the new brain in- the shop isn't going to give you the bike back until the bill is paid. Pay it with a credit card so you have some recourse and I'd keep in the back of your mind to slug it out after the bike is back in your hands. Of course, you can't go there again or they will hold/lien sell the bike.
- once you have the bike back, you're in a little better position to work things out with the owner. Fergetabout the service writer, service manager, general manager and janitor- get to the owner.
- be certain to get all the used parts back, label them and keep them. If you wind up going to court, they are important (in my state, they are required by law to return parts when you have work done, unless you sign off for them to toss 'em- check your state)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

What a bummer. A few things;
- don't waste any effort with BBB, they have no authority, power or influence.
Not so maybe in Cali, but around here a black eye with the BBB will definitely have some influence. Savvy consumers do check and base purchases on BBB records.
A previous retailer I worked for would go ape and rectify the situation anytime a consumer would lodge a complaint against 'em.

True, they have no legal power, but they can boot the business out and keep a record as to why.

Bike
2012 ST1300A

Perhaps, I'm sure you know your market (I do not). What has more attention out on this end of the country is Yelp, which of course could be called nothing more than an e-BBB (marketing).

Seems to me neither matter as this shop doesn't much care about public opinion or this wouldn't be happening in the first place.

Not so maybe in Cali, but around here a black eye with the BBB will definitely have some influence. Savvy consumers do check and base purchases on BBB records.
A previous retailer I worked for would go ape and rectify the situation anytime a consumer would lodge a complaint against 'em.

True, they have no legal power, but they can boot the business out and keep a record as to why.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Good idea with the credit card to get the bike out of hock and getting the parts back.
They could simply claim the old ehem defective harness took out the ECM ECU engine control module//unit or whatever they want to call it. Brain box :)

What blink code did it throw?
If it was constant on the good book says
- short circuit in the red service check connector under the seat.
- fault in the ECM
- short circuit in the service connector wiring.

Top Bottom