Your dealer closed on Mondays?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
In Missouri it was against the law to sell a bike on Sunday, so the dealerships were not going to open for just parts/service. Makes scheduling a knowing who is in a lot easier if everybody get the same two days off each week.

Kansas just changed the law to allow bike sales on Sunday, the MC delers close to the state lines whined that it was unfair practice they couldn't sell too. So the law was changed.

But it is still illegal to sell a car (from a dealership) on Sunday. The auto dealers fighted changing the mc law, since it might get consumers wondering why they can't shop for cars on their day off too.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've never been aware that some states prohibit motor vehicle sales on Sunday, that's amazing.

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Many work shifts. We operate 7 days a week. We know that when we sign up for the job. If you HAVE to be off the weekends, than this job ain't for you. My off days are Thur and Fri. I'm only part time and I get off before lunch, many of my co workers are full time, and if their off days are Sun and Mon, and they ride, well guess what, they can't much get to the dealer without takin some kind of leave time.

But if a dealer feels like he can make it on 5 days it's his call. I'm just saying there is money to be made by not closing on Monday. Sunday closures are not that big a deal around here, I'm not gonna go to the dealer on sundays.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
More people are off on Sundays. One would think that shops would close on Monday and Tuesday so they could be open for the weekend crowd. Lots of dealerships are small and can't afford paying staff 7 days a week. Like I said, if I worked at a dealer, I would hope that my days off were consecutive. You can't get much done with split days off. JMO
P.S.- Why would you not go to a dealer on Sunday if that was one of their open days?

Bike
2001 ST1100
East Coast Honda near Philadelphia, PA is open on Mondays and they do a lot of business. They are open until 8:00pm every day except Saturdays til 4:00pm. Closing on Mondays still makes no sense to me if you own a shop. Consider that almost everyone rides on the weekends. Chances are failures happen during that time, now you've got to wait until Tues to get your ride looked at. Some businesses get it, most don't. Harley Davidson gets it. It's not my kind of bike but I applaud the company for what they do for their riders.
Yeah, HD gets it alright. But based on the breakdown/repair ration of that brand, the shop would need to be opened 8 days a week and Christmas too!

STOC #
It is also against the law in Colorado to sell cars / motorcycles on sunday. Some of the MC dealers here (Colorado Springs) are open on monday during summer riding and then close mondays in the fall, winter and spring off-season. If you need parts right away you can always buy online and overnight ship from out of state.

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
"Why would you not go to a dealer on Sunday if that was one of their open days?"

I work to 10 am on sundays, and I generally don't ride on that day. I ride most other days of the week, but Debbie is off on Sundays and since she doesn't ride we'll spend the day doing other stuff (unless its football season).

This not all that big a deal to me, as I get off work most days at 10am. But out on the road and having a problem late on saturday means you ain't going anywhere to the following Wed. If you're working on your ST and find ya need something and its the weekend you're gonna be hosed. Car guys have all kinds of options on sundays and mondays. They can jockey on down tothe auto parts store and get most anything they need. Not so for us.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I got stuck in Lethbridge, southern Alberta, on the way home from the US earlier this summer with a blown out rear tire. The flat happened on Saturday afternoon. By the time the tow truck hauled us into Lethbridge it was 9:00 pm. The dealer was closed Sunday and when I was chatting to the manager on Monday morning he told me I was lucky it wasn't the "good old days" when they were also closed on Mondays. I didn't feel lucky, having just paid for two nights in a hotel and a new Michelin PR4 GT, but I guess it was better than three nights. :)

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
You were lucky that they had a tire in stock to fit the ST! Even if dealers are open 24/7, most don't have many ST parts in stock. So, you're gonna have to wait anyway.

Bike
ST1300 2012
At least they have a schedule they follow! I had some work done to my 750 Vulcan. Called the shop Saturday morning to confirm they would be open until 3:00. Drove an hour and a half, getting there at 2:30 to find place locked up tight. Needless to say I was very unhappy!
:mad:

Bike
92 ST1100
At least they have a schedule they follow! I had some work done to my 750 Vulcan. Called the shop Saturday morning to confirm they would be open until 3:00. Drove an hour and a half, getting there at 2:30 to find place locked up tight. Needless to say I was very unhappy!
:mad:
Well, that was sure inconsiderate and rude, to say the least. Speculating, but possibly not busy....decided to close early to get in a bit more 'play' time.......left hand didn't know right hand had a prearranged customer coming in.......
or just blew it off totally. Yea, that's some real 'customer service'....then they question why business is slacking!......I mean........really?.....

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
Not wanting this to sound like I'm disputing your points, but the other side of the coin is that anyone in any interaction with the public soon learns that peoples' word is not worth anything. People will commit without a thought to "coming right down to buy it", "let me know when it's in and I will pay", on and on but living up to commitments seems to be out of fashion. It frosts my shorts also to see business hours posted, arrive well before closing, only to find no one there. Tough thing to deal with but I take the position that all I can do is to be as careful as is possible to fulfill my own commitments and call others when I detect that they are not doing so. I have cut off friendships because people did not keep their word over what they considered to be trivial. It speaks to the world in which we wish to live. I prefer to live in a society in which people fulfill commitments because that seems to be a system better suited to well being.

Were it me, I would have a "heart to heart" with the general manager or owner to insure that they understand why I believe this is important. If the business does not think that keeping their word is important in this regards, what assurance have you that they will do so in other regards? That's what I would ask in a respectful and wish to know manner.

If you do decide to do this, please let us know how the business responds. I can understand that someone simply made a mistake or that (were it I) that I may have misunderstood. It will be interesting to hear what is said.

Well, that was sure inconsiderate and rude, to say the least. Speculating, but possibly not busy....decided to close early to get in a bit more 'play' time.......left hand didn't know right hand had a prearranged customer coming in.......
or just blew it off totally. Yea, that's some real 'customer service'....then they question why business is slacking!......I mean........really?.....

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
France is closed on Mondays. Well it seems that way.

All small shops and most vehicle distributors are closed. You just learn to live with it.

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I got stuck in Lethbridge, southern Alberta, on the way home from the US earlier this summer with a blown out rear tire. The flat happened on Saturday afternoon. By the time the tow truck hauled us into Lethbridge it was 9:00 pm. The dealer was closed Sunday and when I was chatting to the manager on Monday morning he told me I was lucky it wasn't the "good old days" when they were also closed on Mondays. I didn't feel lucky, having just paid for two nights in a hotel and a new Michelin PR4 GT, but I guess it was better than three nights. :)
You've had FOUR tip overs??

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
You've had FOUR tip overs??
And counting...:) Isn't that what tip over bars are for? :D I have this bad habit of stopping on sloping ground. I put my foot down on the one side and all is good, but the one on the other side is on tippy toes. When TW and I are on the fully loaded ST, if it goes anywhere over from vertical at a stand still, it's going down.

FWIW, I've only had one tip over riding solo, when I stalled pulling around a corner from a stop light.

STOC #
The party starts on Saturday at closing time and continues into Sunday. :wine2:
Mondays are for sobering up. Do you really want an inebriated mechanic working on your STeed? :beer8:
Okay, I'm only joking. "Wanted: Honest and Sober Mechanic" "Will settle for either."

skyboybry

Hi-Hi!
Bike
Sparkles
STOC #
My dealer is open 7 days a week, but I work at an International truck dealership. Hot Springs Honda, Suzuki/Yamaha, Kawasaki are closed. Good for them, go ride.

Top Bottom