Exped Mattress warning

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm probably not the only person that finds inflating an exped mattress is much easier on a picnic table.

Well, I think I picked up a splinter from one in Idaho this last trip and it was such a small hole I couldn't find it. I would air up the mattress 100% and it was at 50% or less by the morning, essentially putting me on the ground.

It wasn't real cold so not that big of a deal but still makes for an uncomfortable night. I think it was the old KOA campground that was being renovated by a new private owner, all the picnic tables were newly built.

So, from now on, I'm inflating it inside the tent as a precaution. I was able to find the very small hole once I got home and used the tub to submerge parts of it 'til I heard the bubbles. Very simple to patch with just the glue included with the mattress - they recommend just that for anything less than a major hole or rip.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I have a Stansport multi-chambered mattress. Although inflation of multiple chambers takes a liitle more time its claim to fame is that a leak in one should not be a major showstopper. I wonder how it would fair with one chamber losing air.
--Ram

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I wonder how it would fair with one chamber losing air.
--Ram
Well... try airing up only one of the chambers and see what it sleeps like.

I've been in the habit of throwing a cheap (so cheap it's free with coupon) HF tarp under my air mattress. Take the freebie 5'x7' tarp, fold it in half and put it under the mattress, little extra insurance.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I've been in the habit of throwing a cheap (so cheap it's free with coupon) HF tarp under my air mattress. Take the freebie 5'x7' tarp, fold it in half and put it under the mattress, little extra insurance.
I've been using that tarp under my tent. Perfect fit.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Maybe that was Uncle Larry problem with his on our last trip as his keep going flat during the night. Or maybe it was those darn raccoons again!! :D

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well dang, I can never find a picnic table around in my motels rooms! :well1:

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
So, from now on, I'm inflating it inside the tent as a precaution.
If it's not raining when I pitch, I do it on my ground cloth, draped over a picnic table when one is available - roll it back up the same way.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I'm probably not the only person that finds inflating an exped mattress is much easier on a picnic table.
Hi Joe. Which model of Exped do you have? After MNSTOC I think I'd like to upgrade to a thicker mattress to replace my 20 year old Thermarest backpacker model. Saw a bunch of interesting mattresses at the campground, but didn't get info from the folks. Any recommendations? Or should I start a new thread? TIA

John

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hi Joe. Which model of Exped do you have? After MNSTOC I think I'd like to upgrade to a thicker mattress to replace my 20 year old Thermarest backpacker model. Saw a bunch of interesting mattresses at the campground, but didn't get info from the folks. Any recommendations? Or should I start a new thread? TIA

John
I have the synmat 7.5 LW. This one does not have the integrated pump, instead I have the exped pillow/pump as it's a nice wide pillow that sits in my mummy bag nicely and doesn't move around. The pillow pump also has more air volume vs the integrated pumps in some mattresses. It doesn't have as high of an R value as my other synmat mattress but it's still rated to 12 degrees F so fine for riding.

If I had to do it again, I would look for a 7.5 MW which is a length of 6 ft vs the 6.6 ft LW... the 'W' means it's 26 inches vs typical 20 inch mats, always go for a 26" wide mat or your arms will be on the ground lots of times and that little bit helps make it more comfortable.

Thermarest now makes a neo-air pad that is similar and Big Agnes also has some. All of them pack much smaller than the traditional thermarest pads so very nice. Just make sure there is an R rating so you know it has some insulating properties.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Thanks, Joe. I like the idea of the pillow pump. Would save me the chore of filling a stuff sack with clothes nightly for a pillow. My cervical fusions force me to sleep on my side so I need neck support, AND nowadays more hip and shoulder cushion.

BeST, John

via iPhone 4S

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks, Joe. I like the idea of the pillow pump. Would save me the chore of filling a stuff sack with clothes nightly for a pillow. My cervical fusions force me to sleep on my side so I need neck support, AND nowadays more hip and shoulder cushion.

BeST, John

via iPhone 4S
Here's the one I use:
71SVPyR0Z0L._SY450_.jpg
Link to amazon

Here's the mattress but mine is a 7.5 LW vs MW which was on closeout a couple years ago and can't seem to find them anymore. This one is basically the same but 72 inches long vs 75.. okay for us short people.
http://www.amazon.com/Exped-SynMat-camping-mat-orange/dp/B007PYS3L2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1408543593&sr=8-3&keywords=exped+synmat+7

Bike
2008 ST 1300
Joe. Timely advice. I have always inflated in the tent but this last trip I thought it would be easier (and it was) on picnic table. Had not thought of the consequences but will go back to the old method.
Randy

Top Bottom