Looking at an NC700x later today - anything to look for?

Looking at an NC700x on Friday - anything to look for?

It's a 2012 with a bit over 5k miles; taller windscreen; Mototech hand guards and pillion racks; heated grips; 12v power point and extra lighting up-front. Selling it as they dont need 2 bikes (in contrast to me, I guess).

Anyway ... anything to look for, besides the obvious "in general" things?

EDIT: had to move the meet up to this Friday, 22nd.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
These are simple straight forward bikes with no known major issues. The original drive chain may need to be replaced under a warranty recall. Other than that, nada.

OP
OP
These are simple straight forward bikes with no known major issues. The original drive chain may need to be replaced under a warranty recall. Other than that, nada.
Thanks for the heads-up, Dave. I did check and yes, there was a recall. Ran a CarFax - nothing to report.
I did read your "one year follow up" on your NC ... appreciate the feedback.

Did a VIN search via google and noticed the first owner's 'for sale' posting ... ~$500 less than this seller is selling it for :)

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Re: Looking at an NC700x on Friday - anything to look for?

It's a 2012 with a bit over 5k miles; taller windscreen; Mototech hand guards and pillion racks; heated grips; 12v power point and extra lighting up-front. Selling it as they dont need 2 bikes (in contrast to me, I guess).

Anyway ... anything to look for, besides the obvious "in general" things?

EDIT: had to move the meet up to this Friday, 22nd.
I rode a rental NC700 about 1k miles through the Pyrenees back in June. The one I was on had an auto trans, which I did not really want but due to a mixup, that is what I got. The bike was adequate, and it handled well, but I found it underpowered and the front suspension was very stiff.

OP
OP

I rode a rental NC700 about 1k miles through the Pyrenees back in June. The one I was on had an auto trans, which I did not really want but due to a mixup, that is what I got. The bike was adequate, and it handled well, but I found it underpowered and the front suspension was very stiff.
Thanks for the feedback, John. Since it only has a scratch over 50 HP, I would suspect it feels under-powered. I think of it more being a "daily commuter with the occasional weekend one \ two hour trip" rather than a touring machine. I think it's more about the torque band with this one.

The g\f thinks of it as hers :D

One other thing I should consider, which I hadn't till just this second. I'm 6' and hover from 220-230 lbs.

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
I liked the one I had. Great fuel economy.
Has a great feel to the power delivery. I love that 270* crank twin. Nice torque down low.
Just make sure the frunk and rear seat latches work properly. Other than that as stated there are no know issues.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I liked the one I had. Great fuel economy.
Has a great feel to the power delivery. I love that 270* crank twin. Nice torque down low.
Just make sure the frunk and rear seat latches work properly. Other than that as stated there are no know issues.
Did you sell yours too?
Mike

For what you are looking for, they are a great little bike. I have a Givi 46 Monokey I swap between 3 of my 4 bikes and with it on the NC700 it is a tight fit for me and my passenger. It is the only bike that cramps us. We can't go very far before both of us are squirming around due to the lack of room. The wife is not as petite as she use to be but it is the only one she doesn't care to ride on but it pulls both of us just fine. Haven't done mine yet but the valves are supposed to be checked at 8k but that is a way simpler task than the ST. I've had my ST for 10 years now but the NC700 my be around longer than that due to it's lightness and ease of maneuvering in my older age.

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
For what you are looking for, they are a great little bike. I have a Givi 46 Monokey I swap between 3 of my 4 bikes and with it on the NC700 it is a tight fit for me and my passenger. It is the only bike that cramps us. We can't go very far before both of us are squirming around due to the lack of room. The wife is not as petite as she use to be but it is the only one she doesn't care to ride on but it pulls both of us just fine. Haven't done mine yet but the valves are supposed to be checked at 8k but that is a way simpler task than the ST. I've had my ST for 10 years now but the NC700 my be around longer than that due to it's lightness and ease of maneuvering in my older age.
The new recommendation is 16k valve adjustment for the 14 model. No changes have been made so I guess they just extended the interval.

The new recommendation is 16k valve adjustment for the 14 model. No changes have been made so I guess they just extended the interval.
Sheesh, I'm on the NC700 Forum also but I haven't seen that yet. That is good news if it applies to the '13 model. Even if it is an easier valve check I'm not all that crazy to do it because I WILL be the one doing it.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #

Thanks for the feedback, John. Since it only has a scratch over 50 HP, I would suspect it feels under-powered. I think of it more being a "daily commuter with the occasional weekend one \ two hour trip" rather than a touring machine. I think it's more about the torque band with this one.

The g\f thinks of it as hers :D

One other thing I should consider, which I hadn't till just this second. I'm 6' and hover from 220-230 lbs.
My personal opinion is that bike will be too small for you. I am 5'9" 180 lbs and it felt small for me. The next european tour I do will be on a Suzuki 650 V-Strom. My friend is 6'3", about 200 lbs and has a new ABS model which he loves, and I do too. Lightweight, comfortable, handles well and surprisingly fast! Also, if you want an "around town" bike that is lightweight and would fit a guy your size, don't write off a KLR 650 till you ride one. They are surprisingly comfortable and competent machines and can be had cheap if you look. I bought mine with 2.5k miles on it all farkled up for $3K!

OP
OP

My personal opinion is that bike will be too small for you. I am 5'9" 180 lbs and it felt small for me. The next european tour I do will be on a Suzuki 650 V-Strom. My friend is 6'3", about 200 lbs and has a new ABS model which he loves, and I do too. Lightweight, comfortable, handles well and surprisingly fast!
Just got in from checking out a couple of bike shops - you know, the mega-dealer who carries multiple brands.
First stop I got to sit on an NC, then the VStrom, back-n-forth - VStrom taller, taller seat height, pillion seat has more flat surface area.
The NC still felt good (feet sat flat on the ground, VStrom heals up a bit), the NC maybe a little more "nimble" (without riding both).

Also, if you want an "around town" bike that is lightweight and would fit a guy your size, don't write off a KLR 650 till you ride one. They are surprisingly comfortable and competent machines and can be had cheap if you look. I bought mine with 2.5k miles on it all farkled up for $3K!
Yea, checked out the KLR ... different bike altogether, to me anyway. More of a dirt-bike. Don't get me rwong, I used to motocross (way long time ago), so a bike like this might be nice to have to get off-road (hmmmmm).

I still think the NC would be a good bike, esp the one I'm to look at (has some upgrades\farkles).
I also like the idea of the frunk, 'cause I do have a tendency to pick things up at the grocery and such. Yea, I could put panniers on and maybe a topcase, but hey, I have an ST :D

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I thought the whole idea of commuting on a motorcycle was to put a little "zing" in the commute. Doing it on a low powered, no frills bike seems to defeat that purpose.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I thought the whole idea of commuting on a motorcycle was to put a little "zing" in the commute. Doing it on a low powered, no frills bike seems to defeat that purpose.
Depends on what "zing" means to you. This bike is quicker than 95% of the vehicles in the cut & thrust of urban traffic, does the ton in 15 seconds or so. How much more horsepower that you can't use do you need?

No drama, stays out of the shop, no worries about approaching the end of warranty, super economical to buy, ensure, operate.

OP
OP
Thanks to all who contributed ... the bike is now strategically parked in the garage, next to the ST and CBR

Top Bottom