Coolant leak from weep hole

Bike
2006 - ST1300
Got back from a 7k ride to Yellowstone and Waterton Lake. After the bike sat for about two weeks I had starter problems that turned out to be a low battery charge. Anyway in trying to figure out the starting issue I pulled all the plastic and saw the coolant reservoir was empty. With all the plastic off I cleaned the bike real good and looked for the leak. I filled the reservoir, started the bike and got it up to operating temperature (three bars and fans came on). Turned off the bike and saw a peddle of coolant on the floor. There was coolant running down the side of the engine under a small round hole. Turned the bike on again and revived the engine and saw coolant coming out of the hole.

From reading the forum it sounds like a water pump issue. Is this a correct assumption?

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Coolant leek from weep hole

Sounds like it to me! :(

There have been a few threads on replacing one. If you plan on fixing it yourself, check those out for what to do and not do.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
+1, that one is a true leak vs the very small weeping that is considered normal.

Be sure to check your coolant bottle for damage as well, it's so close to the pipes that if it runs low the heat has been known to melt a hole in the bottle.

OP
OP
Mac_McKernan
Bike
2006 - ST1300
I took the bike to Kings Gay Honda. The water pump seal was bad. It's been repaired and back on the road.

Mac.

Bike
03 ST1300 NOW
Hi Guys, Just wanted to chime in here & let you know that I also had the leaking waterpump issue. After reading here about whats involved to repair it I went ahead & pulled mine apart. Worst part wa taking off tupperware! LOL!! Just be careful when pulling off front engine cover so that the gear that drives the waterpump doesnt fall out of place. Other than that it was only a @2hr job total... Total price for parts was only $76.00 not buying new impeller shaft. it wasnt needed.. Im back on the road again. my girl only has 70k & never had any problems with the clutch so I didnt replace any clutch plates......... YET!

Top Bottom