970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I totally agree with it being the tires.
I just put on a new set of PR4's and now I have the same issue you are talking about.
I double checked the balance at the STealer and all is good. The tires took a lot of weight to get them balance.
More than I care to see. The bike is silky smooth on the road but I do have a hum not exactly aware of just when it starts/stops though.
Will pay closer attention.
Brian
I have not tried the PR4 tires but when I ran the PR2 tires they had one heck of a hum off center after a few miles, sounded like a bad bearing or something. That is good to know about the PR4, I may stay with the Bridgestone T30 tires.

Bike
09 ST1300
I totally agree with it being the tires.
I just put on a new set of PR4's and now I have the same issue you are talking about.
I double checked the balance at the STealer and all is good. The tires took a lot of weight to get them balance.
More than I care to see. The bike is silky smooth on the road but I do have a hum not exactly aware of just when it starts/stops though.
Will pay closer attention.
My PR4 hum went away when I put in Dynabeads or what ever they are called.

Hmmmm. What's all this about PR4 hum?

That is good to know about the PR4, I may stay with the Bridgestone T30 tires.
Me too, so far I have 6000kms on the T30 GT's and they are absolutely quiet and smooth. Not sure about the longevity but no signs of any cupping yet.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Mine's on a Bridgestone 023GT with 3000 miles on it, go figure

OP
OP
PFD023
Then we can compare the never heard that before reply's! :confused:
I sent off a private message through facebook as well as the very same message sent through their website. Btw I referenced this very thread so that hopefully they could see others had concerns. Got a reply this morning....here's the full content.
David,

Thank you for writing in to us. Generally tire noise will be associated with an irregular wear pattern of the tire resulting from an over/under inflation of the tire. I show recommended pressure ranges of 32-42 front, and 36-42 on the rear tire. I’d recommend getting your tire into your dealer for a tire inspection. They should be able to determine what’s generating the noise, and if not they can contact us to set up a return for warranty evaluation to determine 1. What’s causing this, and 2. If it would be eligible for warranty coverage. If eligible, a warranty credit would be issued out to your dealer to apply towards a replacement tire, or to reimburse you if they were to charge you up front for that replacement.

Derek
NA Metzeler M/C Tires Consumer Affairs
877-202-4993
www.metzeler.com

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
What I sent them.
Message: I have run many sets of your tires on both of my ST1300's from Z4's , Z6's to Me880's. I recently bought &; installed a set of Z8's. Right from the start there was a harmonic vibration that was not there before the new tires. I changed the rear wheel bearings &; the vibration was still there. Soon after I got a rear flat &; the rear Z8 was trash. After installing a new Z6 the vibration was gone! I chose a Z6 because there are more than a few stories on the St form that the Z8's cause type of vibration. To me this is unsafe &; would like to know if you have an explanation for this?? This tire had about 900 miles when trashed, I was ready to get it off of there any ways as it was driving me crazy. I am waiting to hear your response as I am sure this is not the first time you have had this complaint! Signed Loyal Customer For The Time Being! Kevin

What I got back.
Hello Sir

The Roadtec Z8 series has been out for a few years now and we have zero complaints from ST1300 riders and we of course sorry to hear that you have had a problem with your tire(s). We do strive to produce perfect products but with any type of manufacturing small anomalies/concerns will surface from time to time. And as your tire was punctured we wish we would have been able to work with your dealer before that event to get the tire back for an inspection. In the future please note new vehicle and tire manufacturers (auto, motorcycle, car, truck, and tire) rely on the local selling/installing dealer to sell and service your needs before, during, and after the sale so you are looked after in a timely manner. Thank you for feedback and we will archive the e-mail.

NA Metzeler M/C Tires Consumer Affairs

877 202-4993

www.metzeler.com

Was yours noise or was there a vibration also?

Bike
2004 ST1300
HA, just installed a brand set of Z8's (its 2022) on my ST and now I also have the weird rythmic vibration... lol.. I think i will have to play with the tire pressure a bit.. I always run at the higher end of the reccomended so i may be pushing it? It is only really obvious around 65mph but if I cant get this to go away i will be looking for another tire soon..

Top Bottom