Can Sena Intercom with Scala?

Summer - Grand Forks, BC, Winter - Hemet CA
Bike
1999 ST 1100
STOC #
I've been reading up on the Bluetooth communication options and the Sena site contains the following information about their Universal Intercom.

The Universal Intercom is engineered for smarter and wider communications by providing cross-brand interoperability to the users with a conference intercom feature. The advanced technology works seamlessly with Sena headsets and other Bluetooth headsets that support Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile (HFP). The Universal Intercom feature is provided with the new firmware upgrade of the current products, such as the SMH10, SMH10R, SPH10, SPH10H, SPH10H-FM, SMH5 and the SMH5-FM as well as all upcoming new products. You can upgrade now for free to experience the latest technology.

The Universal Intercom allows Sena Bluetooth headsets to connect to other Bluetooth communication devices and brands. You can have Bluetooth intercom conversations with other brand Bluetooth headsets. Sena Bluetooth headset can be paired with only one non-Sena Bluetooth headset so if you are paired with a different Bluetooth headset, the previous pairing list will be removed.

My question to the board is:
Has anybody here successfully connected with a Cardo Scala communicator using the Sena SMH10 with the firmware upgrade? I'm leaning towards the Sena but 1 of the couples we occasionally ride with has the Scala G9's and it would be nice to be able to talk to them.

I searched the site and couldn't find where this question has been answered, although there was a thread about it in April after the firmware update. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Al

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Subscribed. I have a pair of Scala Gx9's, which works with about half of my riding buddies- the rest use Sena and others...Before purchasing, I spoke with both Scala and Sena about cross compatibility, both declined to comment other than say "not at this time". I suggested whoever came to market with it first, would gather the lion's share- as getting a bunch of riders to agree on anything was like herding cats- they laughed and agreed. Sounds like Sena listened.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Both Scala and Sena will pair with each other, depending on model (check their websites). They do this using the bluetooth phone channel, which means you either have two phone channels (Sena 20S) or bump out your existing phone pairing while you use it, re-pair to your phone when done. Not exactly true cross compatability, but it will work.

OP
OP
Al_b
Summer - Grand Forks, BC, Winter - Hemet CA
Bike
1999 ST 1100
STOC #
Thanks for the information Ray.

Our Senas arrived and we'll try the cross communication with our friend's Scalas as we head to WeSToc in about 10 days. Bumping the phone won't be an issue since we've only got a cheap pay-as-you-go version that we just carry for emergencies.

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #
Connected my Sena SMH10R to a Scala today, worked fantastic. Hold the center button down til it says "Universal Intercom Pairing" while the Scala is in pairing mode.
Just the two of us though, things may get tricky when you've got multiple riders.

Top Bottom