Shock replacement hell!

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have had a 5k mile replacement OEM shock for my bike for over a year, but have dreaded doing this job for that long. The original shock was tired, about 87k miles. Yesterday I decided to tackle this since I had the rear wheel off anyway for a tire change.

I have a shop manual and I also gleaned the wisdom of this forum before doing this job - but, it was an awful experience. I did it yesterday afternoon and to start with, it was 95 degress in my garage. I kept finding liquid under the bike thinking that the thing was leaking, no, it was my own sweat.

The parts I thought would be the hardest turned out to be the easiest. I was worried about getting the top bolt/nut off but a 14mm box end obstruction wrench with tape over it saved the day on that one. I had already removed the seat adjustment hardware. The lower bolt was more difficult, but loosening the footpeg hanger cleared the way to remove that.

My bike came with an excellent Austrailian electronic cruise control installed. Plus, all of my electrical farkles wiring originate under the seat. The wiring and added hardware made getting the remote damper routed out, then back in and installed very difficult. Also, I had to loosen the battery box to get the old shock out and the newer one in. Lessons learned:

1. If you have lots of farkles wired under the seat, probably best to disconnect them before doing this job.
2. If you have an electronic cruise control, like mine, get ready for problems with the remote reservoir.
3. The manual says install a new top bolt, I did, but I think I would have just as well off using the old one and blue lock tite.
4. As many have said, install the lower bolt opposite from the way it came, with the nut to the outside, to ease future removal.
5. I applied blue lock tite to the lower bolt threads too.
6. I greased both bolts at articulations with waterproof grease.
7. Do this job with the rear wheel removed.
8. If you can, get another set of hands.
9. Do it on a much cooler day!

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have changed three shocks on the ST's now with no major problems, it was pretty much a straight forward exchange with help off of this forum.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I replaced the '05s after Honda refused to warranty it. That was a while ago, so I don't remember much, other than that lower bolt going to opposite direction!

Congrats on a job well done...now that you are too with that heat! :eek:4:

To battle the heat in my garage, I bought a portable aircond unit from Sam's Club, found it on clearance for $210. What a difference it makes in those 90F plus days! :D

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
I'm just wondering what are tell tales to when the shock needs replacement.
The only way I was thinking is to ride my buddies bike and then ride mine and see what the difference is.
Thinking a worn out shock will jump around like a pogo stick.

I've had my shock off and on 3 times also. I hear you about the wiring, first time I pinched a gps wire from my battery under the adjustable seat bracket.

I like the AC idea in the garage but I do have a couple of 24" fans that do help. :wind1:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm just wondering what are tell tales to when the shock needs replacement.
The only way I was thinking is to ride my buddies bike and then ride mine and see what the difference is.
Thinking a worn out shock will jump around like a pogo stick.

First clue is your back wil start felling every bump...jarring is more like it! My '05 had about 130K on it when I replaced it. The shock I replaced it with had about 10K. Made a big difference!

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
First clue is your back wil start felling every bump...jarring is more like it! My '05 had about 130K on it when I replaced it. The shock I replaced it with had about 10K. Made a big difference!
Still feels fine with the wife and I on there and no bottoming out at 65,000 miles. 300 lbs plus is the total weight for her and pulling the trailer adds a bit more.
Does anyone on here modify the existing shocks. I know on my old Sabre/Magna forum, there was a guy that used to do this.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Still feels fine with the wife and I on there and no bottoming out at 65,000 miles. 300 lbs plus is the total weight for her and pulling the trailer adds a bit more.
Does anyone on here modify the existing shocks. I know on my old Sabre/Magna forum, there was a guy that used to do this.
Race Tech reworks OEM shocks to improve the damping and as a side benefit the shock is rebuildable from then on. This video might help determine how well your original shock works.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?109391-Setting-rear-shock-rebound-adjustment

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I'll just add some info. I was down at Miller Motorsports in late June, and had the occasion to go over and visit with Lenny Albin. He started with RaceTech for ~15 yrs (designed the standard replacement gold Valves for the ST), then was at Ohlins in Europe for 5. Then he went to Nitron, and is now the owner of Nitron USA HQ'ed at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, UT. I had a hands-on look at a couple of the Nitron replacement units when I was there (they make 5 models, from Plain with no preload adjuster, to one with external reservoir, Hyd preload adjust, and tension and compression damping. All models come with a straight-rate spring spec'ed for your particular circumstance. The basic ones are less than OEM or any of the other aftermarket models. The high end model is about $1100 if I recall. Have a look at his website, and he will talk to you on the phone about questions you may have. This guy is a world renowned suspension genius. I'm planning to do a replacement with one of these units over this winter. Worth a look/call I think...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Can you elaborate on what goes on a rebuild. Curious minds want to know.
From what I recall RT drills a hole in the body and purges the shock of oil and gas. They cut open the shock body to remove the existing valve and internal seals and replace them before welding it back together. The valve they use is their proprietary Gold Valve calibrated for the ST. Inserted in the drain hole is a zerk type fitting that allows recharging the shock with gas after refilling it with their choice of oil. If you want to change out the spring they will do that or else it's reassembled with the original spring. Call them for a quote - I think mine was about $350.

Top Bottom