Installing the front wheel

Bike
2010 ST1300
In an earlier post I asked about removing the front wheel. I'll be getting my new tire tomorrow and will be installing it this week. Joe sent me this link https://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...s-to-the-Right and a number of you reiterated the procedure of tighten left pinch bolts/ tighten right axle nut/ tighten right pinch bolts and loosen left/ bounce bike w/ front brakes on/ tighten left pinch bolts.

My bike's (2010 ST) axle has a big hex opening at the left end, and my shop manual simply says:
1. Grease the front axle lightly and insert from left side
2. Hold the axle and tighten axle bolt to 58 ft lb
3. Tighten right pinch bolt to 16 ft lb
4. Install calipers
5. With front brakes on, bounce bike to seat axle.
6. Tighten left pinch bolts.
7. Check clearances - caliper to disc, wheel speed sensor air gap.

Now, I have a very large allen wrench that fits the end of the axle perfectly (from my VW days). I can use this to hold the axle while I torque it and not use the left side pinch bolts.

Was the original link's instructions a work around this large allen wrench or is there a reason for the left right pinch bolt routine?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Left-right pinch bolt routine is to make sure the forks are aligned.
That's what I thought, but it is not in my Honda Service Manual (dated 2003-2011 with specific updates for newer bikes). What the manual shows are the numbered steps I typed in my first posting.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I took this from the 2008 Set Up Instruction Manual.

Position the front wheel between the fork legs

Slide the axle shaft through the left fork leg, the 16.5 mm left front wheel side collar, front wheel, 27.5 mm right front wheel side collar, and right fork leg.
Push in on the axle shaft so the left end of the axle shaft is flush with the surface of the left fork leg.
Tighten the left axle pinch bolts to the specified torque.
Torque: 22 N?m (2.2 kgf?m, 16 lbf?ft)
Install and tighten the axle bolt to the specified torque.
Torque: 79 N?m (8.1 kgf?m, 58 lbf?ft)
Tighten the right axle pinch bolts to the
specified torque and loosen the left axle pinch bolts.
Reinstall the right and left front brake calipers, being careful not to damage the front wheel and related components.
Install the caliper bolts and tighten to the specified torque.
Torque: 31 N?m (3.2 kgf?m, 23 lbf?ft)
Operate the front brake and pump the forks several times to seat the axle.
Check the brake operation by applying the brake lever and pedal.
Check the wheel for free rotation after the brake is released. If the brake drags or the wheel does not rotate freely, recheck the wheel and brake caliper installation.
Visually check the position of the brake disc in relation to the brake caliper; it should be centered. If not, recheck the wheel and brake caliper installation.
Make sure the axle end is flush with the front fork leg outer surface as shown.
Tighten the left axle pinch bolts to the specified torque.
On the ST1300A, verify the clearance between the ABS front pulser ring and sensor.
Clearance specification:
0.4 ? 1.2 mm (0.02 ? 0.05 in)
If outside the clearance specification range, recheck the wheel installation.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I installed the front wheel using the 2008 Honda set up instructions which differ from my Honda service manual. After tightening the right side axle pinch bolts I loosened the left side axle pinch bolts per the instructions. When I did this the left fork leg moved outboard leaving the axle recessed 0.075” meaning that the axle end is no longer flush with the left front fork leg outer surface as called out in the instructions. I re-positioned the axle/fork so that the axle is flush with the left axle fork leg per the instructions however, if this is required and the axle/fork is re-positioned after the seating procedure doesn't it defeat the purpose of doing the axle seating procedure in the first place?

P.S. When we reinstalled my brother-in-law's front wheel (2007 ST1300) the left fork leg moved in the opposite direction (inboard) causing the axle to protrude outside of the fork leg- same question.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've follow the service manual instructions. Had a problem once where the axle wasn't seated correctly; the left side aligned such that the axle bolt shoulder, on the left side, was crooked by about 1-2mm ( it was not flush). I caught the problem by hand spinning the front wheel and could hear the brake rotor rub the caliper. I was following some instruction in the forum, the service manual instructions have always worked for me since.

My shade tree mechanic senses tell me that the service manual method makes sure the axle is set flush to the left side and that the bounce then aligns the right side to what's been set on the left. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom