First tip into the rhubarb

Dave Weeks

DaveW
Bike
98 ST1100
IMG_20140824_123143_edit.jpgHi everyone, I'm a long time member but infrequent poster. Just thought I might relate my August 23 experience, on a bike trip with three friends, I was leading after 10 hours and daydreaming 15 miles from our cottage rental on Lake Clear near Lake Placid NY. Went into a turn marked 25 mph doing 65! Let no one doubt that the ST1100 ('98) can cling to the road, I made it 2/3 of the way thru, scraped almost through left boot leather. Finally off right side shoulder into the sandy soil with grass. Held it up parallel to road about 5 feet from the treeline, made it about 60 yards. Lost speed quickly but hit real soft spot and it flipped sort of lengthwise, threw me clear. Sore ankle, knee and rash on forearm from inside of Joe Rocket. Moral of the story No Daydreaming lol.
Bike damage; both mirrors and signals, smashed one saddlebag, many cracked plastic parts, bent that framework that supports instrument, cluster and fairing. Field stripped at cottage and put her back together sans mirrors and windscreen. Have subsequently done 500 miles around Adirondacks, very nice.
Mechanically fit, 31,000 miles on it. Going to rebuild, new plastic or used plastic and repaint? Any rebuilding advice? P.S. I'm very grateful after 34 yrs this was it!

Last edited:

Zonker

Matt Christian
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
There, but by the Grace of God, go I.

Glad it's booboos that will heal and parts that are replaceable..

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well first off we are glad you are OK and still posting here. The bike looks like it needs a lot of plastic. Take a look around on ebay and see what you can find. Good luck with the rebuild.

Also I think you posted this in the wrong category as this was not a tip over!!

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Glad to hear that you are in one piece.

If you unbolt the instrument stay from the frame, you should be able to bend it back using a vise. You'll need to check the metal bracket that the rear rack bolts to, it may have shifted to one side. Some plastic may be recoverable by buffing out the scratches and then spraying with off-the-shelf black paint. Fiberglas and epoxy for plastics worked good for me for fixing broken mounting tabs.

OP
OP
Dave Weeks

Dave Weeks

DaveW
Bike
98 ST1100
Well first off we are glad you are OK and still posting here. The bike looks like it needs a lot of plastic. Take a look around on ebay and see what you can find. Good luck with the rebuild.

Also I think you posted this in the wrong category as this was not a tip over!!
I wondered, the few entries I looked at were literally tip overs. Sorry if it is considered bad karma to post on a wipe out. Cautionary tale I suppose.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
You mean you put all the plastic back on and rode? (Minus a few pieces).
I don't know about the 1100, but on a 1300 when the plastic comes off, it's broke.
BTW... glad your OK.

Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
Glad you're ok
The Angels and Gremlin bell were watching over you
Unless you have collision insurance and get replacement parts or bike from insurance, I'd be thinking Bobber; plastic on the ST is as expensive as chrome on a Harley...
Grizz

OP
OP
Dave Weeks

Dave Weeks

DaveW
Bike
98 ST1100
Lol, since I'm traveling I did put broken plastic back on after inspecting, with liberal use of tape, the alternative was riding half bare. Now at a glance it passes for semi normal.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Glad you are okay, it sounds like you had an "interesting" ride. I've done something similar twice and luckily the side of the road was empty and firm so I just rode it out with little drama.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Glad you are ok! I had an "experience" a few months ago at OH-STOC :) It was an eye opener (and a giant godzilla sized ice-breaker at the STOC :D) and it made me realize my limits.

My bike didnt have as much damage as yours, but I got great tips/inputs from Gary (GreenZR) and others on this forum. Gary had restored a very damaged bike a few years ago, there's a thread here that tracks all the progress.

Ultimately, its a blessing that we all are here safe, reading & posting on this forum. Living is something to be immensely grateful for! Riding is extra icing on the cake :D :D !

Regards,
Vishnu

I too, have taken the scenic route on occasion. As pilots say, any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Glad your OK!!

Rayjoe

Bike
2005 ST1300
When you do the rebuild post lots of pictures to bring us all into your operation theater. :D This is also the time you look at your bike's color and wonder if it needs to be customized.:popcorn

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
If you have the big pieces, you may be able to put them back together. There is a plastic repair kit out which works well. You may find some of the parts on eBay or at a motorcycle salvage place. You can also fabricate new mounting tabs with repair kits.

Failing that, make a streetfighter out of it.

DAS

STOC #
so glad you walked away. I had a similar slid and tumble a few years ago. New parts in the 3 stage red paint on my 97 is the most expensive. New parts in your black are the cheapest.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Wow I thought this was going to be about an RTE to get pie! Glad you're OK and sorry to hear about your bike. Best of luck on your rebuild.

Top Bottom