honda replaced my water pump under warranty and

I continued to smell antifreeze. I contacted the honda shop, a very nice shop by the way, and was told seepage is normal. Well my leak was the to the point the under side of my oil pan was covered with coolant andstarting to blow on to my side plastic.

I had purchased a front tire for the up coming trip and on Saturday I noticed it was a wrong size tire. Luckily my manual came in so I removed the wheel and took the newly purchased wheel and tire down to the honda shop. I told them the tire looked small. They gave it to a tech who returned later confirming it was a 17 and not an 18 I needed. Duh. Well they swapped it out and mounted it.

This is where Igofar comes in.

I went to Larry's house on Sunday to have him check the bike over and double check my work and make sure honda put Molly on the rear when they changed the rear tire a month ago. As I was concerned after seeing they ripped the rubber bushings on the exhaust bolts.

I have not replaced an air filter before so Larry did that. He saw the leak and said we should fix it if I had time. So we started. I was learning as we went along.
Every clamp took at least 8 turns to tighten and some took 13. He had me tighten a few so I could learn also.
Honda had lost the clip that holds the over flow tube on and put a clamp, which cut the tube. Larry found the clip resting on the hose some place near the center. Mangled.

He decided to do the throttle sync since we had it apart. A Chuck of gunk came out of cylinder #4.

He cleaned off the motor and all the old antifreeze.

He took the rear wheel off and sure enough no Molly was used. The sleeve was rusted in and had to be forced out. The brakes were shot so I got a new set and Larry changed them out Monday night as I leave for Idaho, Oregon, on the bike tomorrow.l after getting a seat built at Russell's.

The brake and axle showed wear due to lack of lubrication.

I will not be paying honda to do anything never again. I will be doing as much as I can myself and having Larry do the technical stuff. He is very thorough. He does not do valve checks do I will be going to bill for that.

The bike runs great now and I am confident it is properly lubed, serviced and assembled.
FYI dont drink his monster drinks in the fridge.
Oh he changed the radiator fluid too since it came off to do the hoses. And I no longer have an antifreeze leak. Confirmed after 300 miles.
He taught me how to bleed the brakes also.
I will post photos when I can.
I'm using Mobil 1 oil and honda filter Mich rp4 gt tires

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Re: honda replaced my water pump under warranty and,,,,,,,

I guess things haven't changed in the 35 years I've been riding in CA.

seepage is normal, that's a hoot!!!!

He decided to do the throttle sync since we had it apart. A Chuck of gunk came out of cylinder #4.
I'm a bit confused about that statement ... where did the gunk come out at?
Vacuum hose? Spark plug hole? Out the exhaust?

What was the gunk? Grease, oil, carbon?

st1300doug

Drop that Dealer like a hot-cake! And....don't worry about those valves. WHY? I bet over 90% here will tell you even past 60K....none of those valves are out of the "safe" zone. Hell, one guy just posted he had over 100,000 miles and replaced ONE shim- cause it "was close." Ride the bike- leave those valves alone. HINT- if your a "high-rev'r" (RPM) you MAY wanna check'em at 70K. Honda Stealers-Dealers.....they are there. Kids that don't know nuth'n. Watch for in-home Bike STOC's Days. These guys here know as much as Honda-if NOT more about these bikes!

OP
OP
Flatbroke

I'm a bit confused about that statement ... where did the gunk come out at?
Vacuum hose? Spark plug hole? Out the exhaust?

What was the gunk? Grease, oil, carbon?
he used a pipe cleaner and ran it through each of the black plastic tubes the hoses attach to. The one he said was injector number 4 had what looked like ear wax pop out on the tip of the pipe cleaner

he used a pipe cleaner and ran it through each of the black plastic tubes the hoses attach to. The one he said was injector number 4 had what looked like ear wax pop out on the tip of the pipe cleaner
Ah, okay ... one of the vacuum lines that goes to the 5-way. Thanks for the feedback.

OP
OP
Flatbroke

Ah, okay ... one of the vacuum lines that goes to the 5-way. Thanks for the feedback.
No problem. I have no idea what it was called. Just know that I had to be careful not to break it when taking off hoses

OP
OP
Flatbroke

The top of the inside of the battery box had oil blow by on it. Is that pretty common? Larry said it was the mobil 1 but I think he was teasing

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

Not to speak for Flatbroke...but when he first got his new bike it had a few issues (search waterpump replacement) etc.
I told him it was probably just loose clamps etc. But the stealership convinced him it needed a new waterpump.
They allegedly replaced the unit yet the coolant leak was still there..and getting worse.
I lured him over to the garage with talk of an oil change LOL! after flushing and bleeding the entire brake system...we removed enough air to fill a baloon...well almost....I then changed his engine and driveshaft oil and filter...adjusted his throttle cables...checked his preload adjuster again...changed his air filter...and pointed out the coolant that was leaking so bad that it was spraying out the left tip over cover.
I suggested that we fix it once and for all and he let me remove all the tupperware...and the radiator...and alot of other stuff. When the dust settled we had adjusted the counterbalance adjusters and removed and replaced the vacume lines and cleaned a little tootsie roll of gunk out of the #4 line. Did a tb sync etc. We Also found plain old green bearing grease on the splines...nothing on the axle...in need of break pads...etc.
We finished up the bike and corrected everything that needed fixing and sent him home after about 12 hours. The next morning I located a set of pads for him and asked him to pick them up and stop by again after work. I think he was happy with the way everything came together...he said he bike runs alot better now.
And no coolant leaks!
Thanks for allowing me to help you with your service needa before your trip.
Igofar

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

The top of the inside of the battery box had oil blow by on it. Is that pretty common? Larry said it was the mobil 1 but I think he was teasing
That would be your airbox....not your battery box...and its just crankcase blowby from the hose that is connected underneath it....

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

I will take your bike down into so many pieces you'll think your looking at a parts fiche if you touch my monsters again!

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

"Mister, who was that masked man?"

"Son - That was the Lone Bleeder."

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #

What a success story,
Larry, you need to set up a set of bleachers down there at the igarage.
What a great training center you have there. I bet Mike is tickled pink that he has learned where the battery box is now and where the air box is.
You guys where so close to removing the valve covers and at least sliding a set of feeler gauges under the cams to do an inspection ONLY on where the valve clearances are.
At any rate, really nice everything turned out well.
Have a safe trip Flatbroke.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

one of the vacuum lines that goes to the 5-way
And it always seems to be #4. Why.

I lured him over to the garage with talk of an oil change
And that's how it begins?

"Seepage is normal". For Honda that needs maintenance. When one of mine leaked (and it was only one) I knew something was wrong as in not normal. How could a dealership return a leaking bike to a customer after claiming they changed the water pump?? Were it me I'd raise a little hell with the service manager. There'd probably be no compensation but I'd feel better about it.

At least you got to see real maintenance really done and know where not to go. That white courtesy phone number is real handy.

Nice pics too.

Top Bottom