Weight question

That spec is usually on the last page of the Owner's Manual ... it is for my 2003:

Max weight capacity: 401 (182 kg)
rider, passenger, all cargo and accessories
maximum for all cargo: 58 lbs. (26.5 kg)

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Manual spec or for real? For real if it fits ride. 500 is not a problem. Crank up the rear shock preload.

OP
OP
troystr68

troystr68

Troyster
yeah we exceed 400 :(
and that's what I did cranked it all the way (till I felt resistance I Assume that's all I get) and said HOP ON
bike had more then enough power just think I might need to beef up the rear suspension
is that doable?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Easy to beef up the rear suspension.

Penski
Hyperpro
Wilbur

I'd get the spring and shock combo and if you ride single as well as 2 up, as you'll want to get one that can be adjusted. Chaching; but, definitely worth it.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
But one should then also get a matching set of fork springs too...
With only the rear suspension being upgraded, the bike might act kinda weird at full payload ... handling in turns, hitting bumps or while (heavy) braking...
(I had my ST1100 suspension upgraded for a total payload of 250kg/550lbs... totally worth it)

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
and that's what I did cranked it all the way (till I felt resistance I Assume that's all I get) and said HOP ON
bike had more then enough power just think I might need to beef up the rear suspension
is that doable?
If you stopped turning the preload adjuster when you just started feeling resistance, you were just starting to increase the preload, nowhere near maxed out. You may want to review some of the threads related to servicing and adjusting the preload mechanism, especially the article describing fluid replacement. That's a fairly easy procedure if you're handy with wrenches. If you do so, be sure to use jack oil, NOT fork oil.

OP
OP
troystr68

troystr68

Troyster
thank Don, just spied the manual and I see there should be an indicator on the dial
Ill break out a tactical flashlight and head to the garage when I get home tonight

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If you stopped turning the preload adjuster when you just started feeling resistance, you were just starting to increase the preload, nowhere near maxed out.
If his preload fluid level was anything like mine by the time resistance was felt it was maxed out. Both time Igofar/Larry opened the adjusters and they were nearly empty. YMMV.

OP
OP
troystr68

troystr68

Troyster
well I'm happy to announce Don B was correct
I was able to pre load the suspension and the ride was AMAZING my wife noticed right away it was a much better ride as did I
remarkably this thing is very nimble for such a big bike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Glad you found the problem and took care of it. Now go out and enjoy that bike before winter hits!!

OP
OP
troystr68

troystr68

Troyster
oh trust me I am enjoying it
I did however hop on my 1999 VFR today and DDDAAAAAMMMMNNNNNNN
that bike is quick and such a blast to ride
I have only ridden my ST for the last week and a half
while the ST is comfortable and SMOOTH its still a HUGE bike compared to what I have been used to riding
I think I will have to keep them BOTH

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
is that doable?
Ck out Nitron USA too

Top Bottom