Reduction gear removal

Bike
1998 ST1100A
STOC #
Has anyone had the reduction gear in the head that the cams mesh with out of a head? I have a chance to buy a head for my 98 but the cams and reduction gear are missing teeth... I'm hoping I can use the ones out of my head..
TIA
Robert

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Has anyone had the reduction gear in the head that the cams mesh with out of a head?
Yes, they pull right out; you'll only need to overcome the slight layer of deposits holding the 1/2 ball bearings inside the bore.

...and reduction gear are missing teeth...
Ouch, how come?
Sounds like heavy abuse... sure that the bang snapping those gears hasn't cased deformation on them heads?

OP
OP
3 of 7
Bike
1998 ST1100A
STOC #
I'm not sure why they are broken to be honest, apparently the heads had been rebuilt and the previous owner did something wrong on installation. My head has a couple of sticking valves and I'm hoping I can use my reduction gear and cams. not the ideal but these are the first set of heads I've been able to locate in the area.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'm not sure why they are broken to be honest, apparently the heads had been rebuilt and the previous owner did something wrong on installation.
Which could have been: t/belt badly off -> thus pistons hitting valves -> blocking cams -> shredded off gears... if that was the case valve seats, guides and bearing-stocks are history... so the heads you're planning to obtain are probably in worse shape then your very own... can't be absolutely sure, but such or similar could have been the case; I cannot figure an other situation where those cam gears fall apart...
No plans on simply replacing the guides and valves, lapping-in the seats, etc...?

OP
OP
3 of 7
Bike
1998 ST1100A
STOC #
I'm starting to lean that way, new valves are pretty cheap and the cost of having the guides done will be nominal if I take the head in dissasembled...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Sounds like a plan then... that way at least you'll know how that engine head was treated...

BTW: why did the valve guides suffer in your engine anyway?

OP
OP
3 of 7
Bike
1998 ST1100A
STOC #
I have no idea, oil was up to level and clean and it just started missing at an idle, 3 blocks from home.... By the time I got home it was knocking pretty good ( valve contact I assume). Both intake valves on the front right cylinder had one keeper half way out and the foreword valve will not close... I'm also assuming at this point the valve is bent from coming into contact with the piston...
The bike was still running when I tore it down so I don't think there's any damage other than the valves at this point...

OP
OP
3 of 7
Bike
1998 ST1100A
STOC #
No I haven't pulled the head yet, I have other bikes to ride so I think it's going to be a winter project...

Top Bottom