"Laid it Down" lately??

Bike
2001 ST1100
I'm thankful that I have never "laid it down" or crashed in over 30 years of riding, except for 2 kick-stand violations. So I clearly don't know exactly what I'd do if impact was certain. But I wonder WHY bikes get laid down. I know I can't stop any faster than using the friction of two tires on pavement. I don't think I could ever find the courage under pressure to purposely lock the brakes and force the bike to slide on its hard parts - even if I wanted to. And if I had that much time I'd also want to choose whether to go directly into or over the object. When I hear or read " I had to lay it down" - I really hear " I lost control". Except for the movie scene where you need to slide perfectly between the wheels and under a tractor-trailer is there ever a legitimate time for a lay down. Gimme the lowdown.

Are you on the NC Forum? :D This exact post (well, not verbatim) showed up on that forum ...
I'll reprint my response here:

The better option is to predict upcoming trouble. If I am cresting a hill, I slow down in anticipation of "who knows what" (animal, stalled car, accident) on the other side. I do the same with hidden curves - slow down in anticipation of something being much slower (or stopped) in your lane.

Plastic and metal have nowhere (age-old question: is it "no where" or "now here") near the grip modern bike tires have. Staying upright and using controlled braking is your absolute best option.

If you *absolutely* have to learn the "lay it down technique", find a dirt bike and do it off-road.

The NC Form Post on this.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I know I can't stop any faster than using the friction of two tires on pavement. I don't think I could ever find the courage under pressure to purposely lock the brakes and force the bike to slide on its hard parts - even if I wanted to.
Which is why "avoid target fixation" and "brake - swerve - brake" is so heavily exercised during MC safety trainings...
Already while recognizing the obstacle, grabbing for clutch and brakes to get rid of as much speed as possible plus setting additional countermeasures (squeeze horn and PASS button) to raise attention, you are looking and focusing on an "escape path"...
However, recognising and realizing an impending critical situation ahead well before it emerges into imminent danger, requires some experience and staying focused...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've been in that situation once, and had rehearsed the scenario in my mind many times over, so I purposely locked the front and bailed off.

I've crashed unintentionally enough times that I can tell you a body tumbling on the ground at moderate speeds tends to stop pretty quickly. Probably faster than a bike with its tires locked up, but I've never done an experiment to prove that. In my case someone didn't see me and came out of a parking lot driveway directly into my path and I had to panic stop without ABS from about 45mph. I was riding a sportbike with excellent brakes, and had applied the brakes hard and got the bike mostly slowed, but I was too close to the vehicle that had cut me off and still going about 10mph or so. At that point I figured if the front wheel locked up I'd probably skid into his door. So rather than take that chance I turned the front wheel full lock left and the bike went down immediately. I went thunk on the pavement and got up on my feet with a few feet to spare between me and his door, the bike slid under his truck around the rear bumper area. The whole process from seeing that I was being cut off to falling took just a few seconds, it sounds longer in my description. Its quite possible had I stayed upright that the wheel would not have locked and I'd have been able to stop short of an impact anyway, I'll never know. The fact that I stopped short of the impact by bailing off was good enough for me.

Since he was completely at fault his insurance company gladly paid to repair my bike, and my riding gear. I think they were thrilled that I didn't sue them for anything more.

Bike
92 ST1100
I'm thankful that I have never "laid it down" or crashed in over 30 years of riding, except for 2 kick-stand violations. So I clearly don't know exactly what I'd do if impact was certain. But I wonder WHY bikes get laid down. I know I can't stop any faster than using the friction of two tires on pavement. I don't think I could ever find the courage under pressure to purposely lock the brakes and force the bike to slide on its hard parts - even if I wanted to. And if I had that much time I'd also want to choose whether to go directly into or over the object. When I hear or read " I had to lay it down" - I really hear " I lost control". Except for the movie scene where you need to slide perfectly between the wheels and under a tractor-trailer is there ever a legitimate time for a lay down. Gimme the lowdown.
With over 45+ yrs. In the motorcycle world of pleasure riding, decades of that competitively in moto-x, trials, hill climbing, and dessert competition, the natural reaction is to keep the shiney side up, 99.9% percent of the time at all cost. Those that claim to have intentionally "had to lay it down" are majority of the time trying to impress.
Your 'spot on' saying they just lost control ;).

They don't "lose" control, they give it away. Laying it down IS crashing.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Those who claim, "I had to lay 'er down" are really saying, "I lack proper training, and upon being faced with a panic situation I locked my rear tire (stay away from those dangerous front brakes---they'll flip you over yer bike!!), which of course followed the camber of the road, sliding to the right until the bike inevitably fell over. Yep, I meant to do that!"

OP
OP
KCST
Bike
2001 ST1100
Are you on the NC Forum? :D This exact post (well, not verbatim) showed up on that forum ...

The better option is to predict upcoming trouble. If I am cresting a hill, I slow down in anticipation of "who knows what" (animal, stalled car, accident) on the other side. I do the same with hidden curves - slow down in anticipation of something being much slower (or stopped) in your lane.

Plastic and metal have nowhere (age-old question: is it "no where" or "now here") near the grip modern bike tires have. Staying upright and using controlled braking is your absolute best option.

If you *absolutely* have to learn the "lay it down technique", find a dirt bike and do it off-road.

No, never visited that Forum. I just heard some fool say that phrase as if it was badge of honor.
Even when I had my KLR I never wanted to experiment with damaging my self or bike to find out.
Like self defense - it's best to be missed than hit.

OP
OP
KCST
Bike
2001 ST1100

I just checked out that forums post. SargeantChuck sounds exactly like the guy I heard that from.
In the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing and getting what he deserved. He chose to hit the back of the car since he eliminated all other options before he even got there.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Those who claim, "I had to lay 'er down" are really saying, "I lack proper training, and upon being faced with a panic situation I locked my rear tire (stay away from those dangerous front brakes---they'll flip you over yer bike!!), which of course followed the camber of the road, sliding to the right until the bike inevitably fell over. Yep, I meant to do that!"
LOL! Sounds a bit like like one of those Power Ranger knights bragging about going down in turn-X of their favourite route: "...yeah, there was some gravel on the road <chuckle>..."
Stupid, ever heard of drive by (hazard) sight...?

Top Bottom