Yearly Question - Has Honda Stop making ST1300

Does anyone know if Honda has stopped making the ST1300A. Please state your sources. All i hear is rumors. Anybody know anything new?

bmo1953
2012 ST1300A

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
All they're selling in the U.S. this year is the police model. Everywhere else (including Canada, I think) has a 2014 model.

--Mark

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
All they're selling in the U.S. this year is the police model. Everywhere else (including Canada, I think) has a 2014 model.

--Mark
Far more limited than that I believe - some of Europe, Canada seems to be it.

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
Honda has done this before, they don't bring a new model into the market when there are un-sold bikes sitting in dealerships. Especially if there are no changes.................

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Honda UK and Germany still list the Pan-European C-ABS...
Honda AuSTria however not, only featuring GL, F6B, F6C, CTX1300 and CTX700N as [Tourer]... go figure... :roll:

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Honda has done this before, they don't bring a new model into the market when there are un-sold bikes sitting in dealerships. Especially if there are no changes.................
The 2014 ST I looked at a few months ago was manufactured in late 2103 - so a legitimate 2014 model bike ... assuming they didn't fudge with the VIN sticker.

They wouldn't do that. :rolleyes:

It is unfortunate for the buyers too. I purchased a 2012 model brand new in Feb 2014. I called to get a trade in quote as my wife cant ride on the ST any more due to a recent medical issue. I was looking to get a Wing as it has more support for her. I was told that my bike is a 2012 and is only valued at approximately 8500. So I will not be able to get the wing until I pay off this bike.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yearly answer - Nope, they still make. So, there some hope.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...they don't bring a new model into the market when there are un-sold bikes sitting in dealerships.
Does that suggest that ST1300 sales are slowing down in the American market?

Does anyone know if annual sales figures for different types of motorcycles (e.g. the ST 1300) are published? I know that such figures are published for Honda automobiles.

Michael

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
There's no suggesting that; it's pretty much confirmed that ST sales have been declining since the model was introduced. I've kept track of the production of U.S. models based on information that Honda has to supply when they notify NHTSA of a recall. In 2011, there were no STs produced for the U.S. because there were lots of leftover 2010s, so the best you can do for that number is split it across two years.

If I had to come up with a SWAG, I'd say that there are 275 or fewer non-P 1300s being imported every year.

Thanks for that. I've always wondered what sales are like in Europe, which really always was the target market.

--Mark

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R

Does anyone know if annual sales figures for different types of motorcycles (e.g. the ST 1300) are published? I know that such figures are published for Honda automobiles.

Michael
This is just speculation, but it seems that they would build them in runs of several thousand, then re-model the line for another bike model. They wouldn't need to do another run until the ones on hand were shipped.

This would mean that there could be ST1300's in crates still in Japan as yet un-shipped, and not necessarily sitting unsold in dealerships.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
My buddy is looking to buy an ST. The only "new" ones in dealers are 2012's. I've talked to my local dealer about what he will take for the "new" one he has. He told me that it lists for 18k but he will drastically discount it to 15k since he's had it so long. I told him thanks but no thanks. Why would anyone pay 15k for a bike that would instantly lose 5k in value as soon as you sign the papers? I don't see any of these "new" ones being sold when you can buy a new 2015 Connie or FJR for the same price.
My friend is buying a used ST.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...Why would anyone pay 15k for a bike that would instantly lose 5k in value as soon as you sign the papers?
I'm not certain that that rationale would necessarily apply to the resale value of the ST down the road. The resale market for STs is rather narrow, and I think that most prospective purchasers would be aware of the 'on and off' import history of the bike. That being the case, the month and date of first registration (when the bike was first put on the road) would, I think, be a better measure of the value of the bike than the model year of the bike. In this context, I am assuming that the resale buyer is paying cash and therefore is not affected by lenders who will issue opinions based on industry-standard depreciation percentages per model year.

Michael

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
not affected by lenders who will issue opinions based on industry-standard depreciation percentages per model year.
I wonderr what insurance companies would think of payout for a three year old "new" bike or what trade in value would be on that Hondapotamous you might want in a year or two........I think you'd lose a lot of money......:tc1:..........ff

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm not certain that that rationale would necessarily apply to the resale value of the ST down the road. The resale market for STs is rather narrow, and I think that most prospective purchasers would be aware of the 'on and off' import history of the bike. That being the case, the month and date of first registration (when the bike was first put on the road) would, I think, be a better measure of the value of the bike than the model year of the bike. In this context, I am assuming that the resale buyer is paying cash and therefore is not affected by lenders who will issue opinions based on industry-standard depreciation percentages per model year.

Michael
It may be different in Toronto and Zurich but in the US a 2012 will be viewed as a 3 year old bike as soon as you drive it off the lot.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It may be different in Toronto and Zurich...
Also in the rest of the world date/year of first registration and of course the mileage establish the prices for used/2nd hand vehicles...
In this no one cares about a "year of MFG code" in the VIN... (unless its to order spares...)
That we loose like 30% and more at the moment we drive it of the lot, is purely based on tax politics...

Only once a new model is announced or actually out on the showroom floors, dealers/importers will grant significant discounts for a "last year's model" to clean out the stock... such are times for good deals on a decent vehicle, as the only things new on a subsequent-model are mostly minor cosmetics: new grille, newly shaped headlights, square instead of round fog-lights and such... essentially still the very same car...

So we don't trade vehicles as "perishable goods with expiring date" like milk, cheese or vegetables ;-)

Methinks the view of must have the latest model seem a bit trained-in by the advertisement industry...

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Once the 2015's show up in Canada I'll post up on here. I sat on a 2014 last year at the bike show. I really wish they would come out with a new colour. Black has been the colour for the past 3 years.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Also in the rest of the world date/year of first registration and of course the mileage establish the prices for used/2nd hand vehicles...
It may be different in Toronto and Zurich...
It is different in Europe, as Martin B. has pointed out in his post. Vehicle age is determined by date of first registration, not by date of manufacture. Canada, on the other hand, works the same as the USA.

The photo below illustrates this, it shows a used ST for sale by my Swiss dealer. The arrow points to the date of first registration.

Swiss Moto for sale

Top Bottom