Yearly Question - Has Honda Stop making ST1300

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
The Honda Canada website shows the ST1300 as current, with a "model year" of 2014. It also has a huge (smirk) discount of Ca$2k, probably as at this time of the year very few Canadians buy motorcycles.
Oh - and the range of colours would be to Henry Ford's approval. http://motorcycle.honda.ca/touring/st1300a

Last edited:
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Not that I plan on replacing my beloved 1100 but for discussion sake... What import costs would be involved with bringing a 2014 or 15 Canadian ST1300 into the US for somebody who just had to have a "new" one?

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Much as I love my '06 ST1300 and as good as they are, Honda has been making the same bike since what, 2003? As far as I am aware the only thing that has changed is the color. Meanwhile, Yamaha has greatly improved the FJR and especially the ES version now. One would think Honda would provide some updates to the ST, especially when one considers the price is now what, around $18K? I mean come on, mother Honda, update the ST with more modern electronics, ES, heated grips, cruise control, maybe take a few pounds off it, etc., and watch sales climb. For those of you who might be interested, the BamaRider added a new FJR1300 ES to his stable and has already done a pretty extensive trip on it. Guy has written up a very good comparison between the FJR, his R1200RT and his '04 ST1300 on his web site. I was struck by his comment: the FJR1300 ES is the best sport-tourer he has ever been on. He goes on to mention how Yamaha has listened to its customers and made many improvements to the FJR, while Honda has not done any upgrades to the ST1300. If I was in the market for a new bike I would definitely take a serious look at the FJR1300 ES and it's a couple of thousand less than an ST1300.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...What import costs would be involved with bringing a 2014 or 15 Canadian ST1300 into the US...
Wow, I think that would be a 'first' - the normal flow of vehicles is from the USA north up into Canada.

Here are the things that I think you would have to consider: 1) EPA compliance, most especially compliance for certain states that have their own wonky rules, such as California. 2) Confirming that the moto complies with American safety standards. In principle, this should not be a problem, as the Canadian rules are usually a little tougher than the American rules, especially with respect to lighting and reflectors. 3) Paying a 2.4% import duty.

Other considerations would be whether or not Honda USA would honour the Canadian warranty (unlikely, simply because most manufacturers do not like cross-border trade and try to discourage it), and the typically higher Canadian selling price, even after discounting the Canadian currency conversion.

Here's a link to an American CBP website that might get you started: US Customs & Border Patrol - Importing a Motorcycle.

Michael

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
EPA compliance, most especially compliance for certain states that have their own wonky rules, such as California.
EPA's federal, so if it doesn't meet their rules, it's not legal in any state. The California Air Resources Board sets the rules for California, but I can't remember the last time I saw a new car or motorcycle that had a special CARB version. The 1300 is a 50-state bike.

One other thing you may run into is VINs that Honda hasn't reported to the states in the U.S. as having been imported here. If you can get hold of the VIN of the bike you're interested in, call your state's DMV and your insurance company to make sure it doesn't throw them for a loop. The DMV won't title or register anything they can't prove should be here and your insurance company will do the same.

--Mark

Top Bottom