How much were PC800s new?

Bike
2010 Honda NT700V
Re: Saw this for sale on the local Craigslist.

$5,000 is definitely above top dollar for a '98 PC. I had a '98 PC I sold in 2008 for $4,400. My bike had 23,000 miles on it and in top excellent condition. I got top dollar at the time for my bike from a guy in Texas. Many '98 PC's were selling for under $4k.
If it does only have 680 miles on a 16 year old bike, what did this guy have it for? Certainly not for riding.
Got to admit it looks awfully good in the pictures.

I still wish I had kept that bike......

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_pc_800_pacific_coast_1998.php

I looked up the original MSRP.......$8,699.

Last edited:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Fred, I paid $4500 for a new 89 in 91.

OP
OP
Throttlejockey

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

I'm not saying it's not overpriced but that it's pretty cool to see something in that condition.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT

He claims to have loved the bike, just not enough to ride it. When I bought my bike it had over a 1,000 km in the first week.

The PC800 never appealed to me so even a mint 15 year old example would not do a lot for me. I think calling it a sport tourer is a bit of a reach as well.

Gerhard

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Not my cup of tea, but maybe for someone who likes those bikes. I wonder why he did not ride that bike?

Bike
2001 ST1100

A Goldwing on steroids? Other than the bloated rear end...?
Nice bike for a collector, but our ST's do so much more for less $$$.

Not my cup of tea, but maybe for someone who likes those bikes. I wonder why he did not ride that bike?
Not to hijack the thread, but people buy things on a whim sometimes. For example. I bought this 1973 Suzuki 125 tracker about 2 months ago. It only had 372 miles on it!! It now has 413. I had to ride it a little!!

Why they bought it and did not use it is a mystery.

Rayjoe

Attachments

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #

That bloated rear end houses storage that beats the pants off anything a Gold Wing or an ST has to offer.
Well, I wouldn't go that far... ;-)
But due the "trunk lid" its a convenient design for the intended use as urban commuter...

With the PC800 (and the Fusion/Helix CN250) Honda had invented "big scooters" long before big scooters actually came out ;-)

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Re: How much were PC800s neww?

That PC800 ad contains at least 1 picture from another bike--the 2nd from right picture shows a bike with Kuryakyn chrome handgrips and a windshield vent. The bike and ad may be legit, but buyer beware.
:shrug2:

Regarding the PC800, mine was great but it was NOT powered sufficiently for the mountains of Colorado. I traded it in after only 10,000 mi for about the same as I paid for it new.

Bike
2001 ST1100

That bloated rear end houses storage that beats the pants off anything a Gold Wing or an ST has to offer.

--Mark
So next time I need to haul a load of groceries, I know exactly what bike to buy.
Maybe a Silverwing on Steroids I can agree with.

Bike
2001 ST1100

That PC800 ad contains at least 1 picture from another bike--the 2nd from right picture shows a bike with Kuryakyn chrome handgrips and a windshield vent. The bike and ad may be legit, but buyer beware.

I noticed the grips and that the photo was of the bike in a different location. But couldn't tell if the vented shield was missing in other photos. With that few miles why wouldn't he sell it - health problems or not he hasn't ridden the thing. And what about that $ 1,000 "Value" for tires and a battery. Maybe he inherited it but lacks balance?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

Well, I wouldn't go that far... ;-)
Having compared my ST and a friend's PC side by side, I would, at least where the ST is concerned. The saddlebags on the ST hold 70 liters; the PC's have been measured at 80 and don't have the odd shape, which gives them a lot more usable space. (Free bonus: They're liquid tight, which means you can do a run for ice, drinks and breakfast food, use it as a cooler all night, pull the drain plugs in the morning and and re-pack before leaving. The ST's bags don't hold much more than a puddle before they leak.)

The GL's bags come in very close to the PC's bu,t like the ST's, have that sculpted shape that eats up some of the usability. I've heard at least one former GL1500 owner say the luggage on those had a lot more usable space than the GL1800.

I'm not running out to buy a PC, but my practical streak thinks they're awfully nifty bikes for what they are.

--Mark

OP
OP
Throttlejockey

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

I noticed the grips and that the photo was of the bike in a different location. But couldn't tell if the vented shield was missing in other photos. With that few miles why wouldn't he sell it - health problems or not he hasn't ridden the thing. And what about that $ 1,000 "Value" for tires and a battery. Maybe he inherited it but lacks balance?
I'm tempted to go look at it out of curiosity. It's less than 15 minutes from me.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #

I see he says that it has new tires, a $1000 value. What kind if tires did he put on it? My wife had one a very short time between two of her ST's. Didn't like stopping for gas all the time. Soon as she found her last ST, the PC was gone. I rode it once, not to bad but NO ST.

Attachments

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #

Having compared my ST and a friend's PC side by side, I would, at least where the ST is concerned.
Interestingly did HondaLine offer the identical inner-bags for both, the ST and PC over here at the time ;-)

For the intended, urban use the PC was quite a deal, throwing in your groceries or the briefcase (serving as beer-cooler might not be what the Honda engineers had in mind ;-))
Good weather protection, large stance to keep them cagers at bay (IIRC even used as squad bike in some areas) and with them 50 horses out the V-twin (AFAIK from the Shadow) quicker off the line then a Civic when the light turned green...
The accessory list alone: trunk floor carpets, trunk lights, trunk-liners/bags, AM/FM stereo, spoiler with brake-light, passenger backrest, scuff pads, etc...
Not a fun-bike to blast through alpine routes though, but solid for commuting between the suburb dwellings and the down-town office...
Its stigmata simply was being way ahead of its time... the stares alone whenever a PC appeared (just like with the ST back in the early 90ies... the "The Wraith"-moment... ;-) )
This hybrid of motorcycle and scooter never really got its foot in the door... back then though...

But when looking at the accessory lists of today's big-scoots, with touring screens, topcases, topcase-pads, etc... one realizes that the trend is here again...

I'm not running out to buy a PC, but my practical streak thinks they're awfully nifty bikes for what they are.
My sentiments exactly, never officially sold in Europe, the few to be seen here are imports, but I would add it to the stable if I incidentally get hold of such a low mileage "barn-find"... just for the fun to service & refub it carefully and drive it through town...
Service is a bit awful though... the engine is really buried under all that Tupperware and suffers tremendously from the heat accumulating there... wirings, connector shells, hoses, gaskets, etc...
Also hard to clean (engine and frame), so on used ones with mileage, some corrosion issues are to be expected...

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The Honda brochure for the PC makes no mention of the bike's category, be it sport tourer or urban commuter or anything else. It's all about revolutionary design and the gratification of using a well crafted device (comparisons are made to a fine camera and musical instrument).

Honda's car guys were involved in the design of the PC, which is probably why it was so unlike other motorcycles. It was no sport bike but quite good as a tourer. Compared to the PC, the ST is bigger better faster more pretty much everywhere, but the PC trunk ruled. I used the beer cooler feature Blrfl mentioned...awesome.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #

The Honda brochure for the PC makes no mention of the bike's category, be it sport tourer or urban commuter or anything else. It's all about revolutionary design and the gratification of using a well crafted device (comparisons are made to a fine camera and musical instrument).
Yes, look what I just unearthed:

[video=youtube_share;j6MkkdxjDro]http://youtu.be/j6MkkdxjDro[/video]

;-)

Top Bottom