exciseive rear brake wear

Bike
2004 ST 1300
after riding in the Idaho Mountains for three days I noticed that the brake peddle felt soft, but pumped up ok. But when I had to stop for a red light The brake peddle went bottomless and even s a second one was the same. Felt the same as when you're bleeding your brakes. because I was close to home at that point, I quite using the rear brake.. But found no leak.. after further inspection I noticed that the rear caliper pistons where extremely exposed about 1/2 in ..I assume that is where the fluid went the pads are extremely worn. And I replaced them only 2000 miles ago .. Double-H Sintered Metal Brake Pads - FA261HH
Part #194900 from Dennis kirk the question is how did/can a brake pad deterate in such a fashion there's NO rotor groves or bluing from excessive heat that it would take so may pumps about 4-6 when I arrive at home a could see there wasn't any leak
can anyone recommend a high end brake pad that it will work alright with my stock rotors

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
OEM Pads...
You could have SMC issues, a bent clip in rear caliper, pins binding, air in system etc.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
+1 on the Honda pads.

Not using your rear brakes is pretty much impossible on the ST1300 unless your SMC is locked up and the un-compressed position. Linked brakes mean you still use your rear brakes using the lever as well as the pedal, just different pistons of the rear caliper are activated.

I agree with Larry also that you could just have some air in there. The exposed part of the pistons is normal as pads wear so the real thing to look at is the wear indicator on the pads. I typically always replaced mine before they 25% remaining, and probably more left than that but brakes are important on a bike so I never skimped there. Even so, there should be enough fluid in the system to handle things from the time the brakes were new and res filled to top level indicator to worn pads - by design.

Get some Honda pads
Clean your rear caliper/pistons.
Bleed the system per the great article here Brake Fluid Replacement
Visually inspect everything you can.
Also, check your SMC... You should be able to put the bike on the centerstand, spin the rear wheel and then lift up on the front left (clutch-side) caliper and cause the rear wheel to stop... release it and the wheel should spin freely ... if not, the SMC might be an issue.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Good Day Caption,
Your new here, so head over to the articles section on this site and read up on these brakes.
Mellow posted a few links and here are a few more good links on brakes.
Also, I'd recommend that you send IGOFAR (just click on his name on his post)a personal message on here as he holds the key for perfect operating brakes on this forum.
He has helped me and many on here.
Read this and study it as it is the best paper that I have seen on the ST brakes.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?135125-ST1300-Brakes-Avoiding-the-Pitfalls

SMC / Secondary Master Cylinder
This unit when it seizes causes excellerated rear brake wear.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?133460-ST1300-Secondary-Master-Cylinder-Rebuild-SMC

Brake bleeding
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?109878-ST1300-Brake-Bleed-Procedure-VIDEO

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Top Bottom