I just wanted a pair of grips...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
In a previous visit to the OCD Garage I had occasion to ride Igofar's (aka Larry) ST1300 outfitted with a G2 Throttle Tube and BMW sport grips.

I liked it. The G2 seemed to add some granularity to low-speed throttle control and the Sport grips seems a little more forgiving than those rock-solid things Honda sticks on their handlebars. That ride was

Armed with the stock numbers Larry provided I picked up a set of grips and ordered a G2. I don't have an air compressor and wanted to keep the grips (what was I thinking!) so I stopped by the OCD Garage.

Larry deftly removed the grips and installed the G2 during which FlatBroke (aka Mike) dropped by. He was showing off a really nice custom Russell seat. He mentioned that the stock seat made him slide forward a common complaint.

When I mentioned that I put the front of my seat on the high position and scrunched the back part to the lowest position Larry's OCD meter lit up and the needle went near-red a little. He showed me the damage to the tupperware that this causes and the wear that was already happening on my bike at only 1300mi. So that stopped immediately. Always something to be learned at the OCDG.

To get a feel for the new mod Larry took us on a ride to Pescadaro via some back roads. The little town was pack with holiday traffic but we had found parking and a place for lunch. Afterwards more back roads to the end of a fun day.

The BMW Sport grips make a world of difference. The OEMs weren't much better than holding bar bars. The Sports gave a lot more cushioning than you'd think to look at them. The buzziness was greatly reduced as was the strain on my wrists and palms. This was a significant improvement for less than $30.

The G2 Throttle Tube also gets similarly positive marks. It's a very well made piece. It reduces the diameter of a portion of the path for the "pull" throttle cable. This reduced diameter is similar to reducing the diameter of a drive gear. More twist is now required for a given throttle opening compared the the OEM plastic tube. About halfway through the rotation the full diameter is restored giving the same linear twist/accelerate response as factory.

The result is much more control of low-speed throttle like vernier tuning on communications gear. Starting and slowing is so much smoother. The lurching is practically gone and may be further reduced with more familiarity. Low speed maneuverability isn't the chore it used to be.

The G2 site says some additional twisting is needed for WOT but I didn't feel any to get to 90+ MPH. Maybe those who spend some time about that will notice. The retail price is $80 for the ST. It may be a little steep but the performance improvement is real.

Many thanks to Larry for the installation and the ride. If you're ever in the area or even if you have to make it a trip get to the OCD Garage for some inside baseball on ST maintenance. And grab a couple of Monster drinks from the OCD fridge.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sounds like you found something that works for you, glad Larry could help you out and lead you down a crooked road.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
32 72 1 458 395 grip left
32 72 1 458 396 grip right
K1,K1 D27 $10.95 each. Retail

Bike
2010 ST1300
The G2 is posted at $71.95 on Revzilla (with free shipping for purchases over 39.99), and they are out of stock right now - but will email you when parts arrive.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I ordered my G2 from the manufacturer's site and went to BMW San Jose to get the grips with the part numbers Larry gave me.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I will have to look into your throttle tube idea - that's one thing I am having problems with is that the throttle is too sensitive. Does not bother me too much because I can anticipate it, but I can feel my spousal unit rocking back and forth if I don't get it just right. Thanks for the tip.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I will have to look into your throttle tube idea - that's one thing I am having problems with is that the throttle is too sensitive. Does not bother me too much because I can anticipate it, but I can feel my spousal unit rocking back and forth if I don't get it just right. Thanks for the tip.
The G2 helps by all accounts but also lots of us successfully rewire the hands-to-brain software with time and miles and find the initial throttle jerkiness fades away over time on the bike. Part of it is wrist positioning and also some clutch work.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My philosophy is machines should work for us the way we want and we should not have to adapt to the machine. There are instances where we have no choice or option. Here we do. The time and effort for rewiring can be better devoted to other endeavors.

The snatchy behavior seems to be a function of FI and FC and would not be tolerated in a car. Manufacturers don't really have an incentive to make motorcycle throttle response as smooth and predictable as a car. Some manufacturers also tend to like having a high tip-in rate to give the impression of high/higher performance.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My philosophy is machines should work for us the way we want and we should not have to adapt to the machine. There are instances where we have no choice or option. Here we do. The time and effort for rewiring can be better devoted to other endeavors.

The snatchy behavior seems to be a function of FI and FC and would not be tolerated in a car. Manufacturers don't really have an incentive to make motorcycle throttle response as smooth and predictable as a car. Some manufacturers also tend to like having a high tip-in rate to give the impression of high/higher performance.
I agree entirely and said as much....the G2 works well and many riders have installed them and report great results. To your point about not "having to adapt". All of us bring different levels of skill and experience to the machine and having one model to superbly "fit" the rider is laudable but not realistic. The ST1300 was designed in the early part of the last decade to meet emission levels not even required for several more years and like many first and second generation fuel injected bikes the off-idle dry injector throttle response is less than silky. In a car the engine fueling can actually be much more coarse and unrefined but the inertia of 2,000 to 4,000 lbs of mass not present in a motorcycle acts to mask the jerky response. The MC engineer can't get away with it though and the ST is a good example. I only mentioned the point of learning the bike's foibles with a little time and experience because many riders, including myself, do exactly that and wake up one day to find the jerkiness mostly a memory yet this trait is often brought up by newer members. The poster I quoted reports 244 miles ridden this year and said he was new to the bike. I did not mean to direct my comments to you in particular.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I wouldn't expect a motorcycle to superbly fit all riders any more than I'd expect that of a car. That would be like complaining that a manufacturer didn't make mirrors function the same for all riders (even though they have some measure of adjustability).

I'm aware that weight and inertia work to car engineers' favor but it wasn't really germane to my point. And I'm not willing to let motorcycle engineers off the hook even though the ST's old tech that was ahead of its time at the time. It may be that early iterations of ST FI were worse and Honda has improved throttle response over the years. But I've never seen any references to that effect.

While I understand that many riders are now comfortable with the ST throttle I chose to take a different route. Honda could have done something similar over the years but didn't. Their economics or mindset is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

I agree that with more time new(er) riders may learn to ignore this trait. One the other hand I know a few very accomplished riders who have mastered the throttle but are still aware of the FI artifact. I just chose to ignore the learning curve.

FWIW I didn't assume your post was directed at me.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wouldn't expect a motorcycle to superbly fit all riders any more than I'd expect that of a car. That would be like complaining that a manufacturer didn't make mirrors function the same for all riders (even though they have some measure of adjustability).

I'm aware that weight and inertia work to car engineers' favor but it wasn't really germane to my point. And I'm not willing to let motorcycle engineers off the hook even though the ST's old tech that was ahead of its time at the time. It may be that early iterations of ST FI were worse and Honda has improved throttle response over the years. But I've never seen any references to that effect.

While I understand that many riders are now comfortable with the ST throttle I chose to take a different route. Honda could have done something similar over the years but didn't. Their economics or mindset is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

I agree that with more time new(er) riders may learn to ignore this trait. One the other hand I know a few very accomplished riders who have mastered the throttle but are still aware of the FI artifact. I just chose to ignore the learning curve.

FWIW I didn't assume your post was directed at me.
You probably are also considering other aftermarket options like the Ivan FCE and 57-58 PSI fuel pressure regulators that some owners report helping the ST1300's abrupt throttle response. A poll several years ago had a large minority of owners reporting improvement with one or all the aftermarket products like the G2 and aftermarket fuel pressure regulators.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You probably are also considering other aftermarket options like the Ivan FCE and 57-58 PSI fuel pressure regulators that some owners report helping the ST1300's abrupt throttle response.
?? No I'm not. I read with interest reports on the FCE but it's reliability and effectiveness seemed all over the map and it was pricey. It initially showed promise but the ROI just didn't pan out for me. Same for the higher-pressure fuel regulator. The empiricals just didn't add up. I talked it over with Larry and he pointed out the pros and cons and the objective analysis was "don't bother".

But one quick ride on his ST was an eye-opener. And since Honda has to include a throttle tube anyway they could have easily done what G2 Ergos did. To me the G2 Tamer is to the stock tube what aftermarket tires are to the stock rubber. Some riders are perfectly happy sticking with the OEM tires and there's nothing wrong with that. If that works for them and they're happy there's nothing for me to say.

Top Bottom