Used ST1300 buyers checklist

Bike
2005 ST1300
Looking to buy a used ST1300. :8):

When inspecting the bike, is there anything I really need to look for?

Any known issues? Any little known tricks I can use? What are the things I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
See if someone here can look it over with you. The ST1300 is a pretty rock solid bike. You can search here and find most answers you might have. And if you can't find what you are looking for, someone here will point you in the right direction.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Nothing out of the ordinary to look for but I would look to see if some of the routine maintenance items have been done. If the tires are good and the brakes are fair then I say ride that bike like you stole it!!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I'd ask where the owner had the tires changed.
Then I'd ask him if they used Moly paste on the splines.
If he doesn't know then I'd call the tire place and ask them what they used on the splines.
If they say 'grease' I'd move on to the next bike unless the owner is willing to pull the rear wheel so the splines could be inspected.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I'd ask where the owner had the tires changed.
Then I'd ask him if they used Moly paste on the splines.
If he doesn't know then I'd call the tire place and ask them what they used on the splines.
If they say 'grease' I'd move on to the next bike unless the owner is willing to pull the rear wheel so the splines could be inspected.

Great advice here. Also, check the wheel, steering head and driven flange bearings. If the owner doesnt't know about the flange bearings, proceed with caution. It is a known issue but easily fixed. Batteries in ST1300s are a weak point - ask the guy when it was last replaced and with what. If more than two years, deduct $80 -100 off the asking price because you most likely will need a new one within a year.
Ask the seller about the age of the brake/clutch fluid and what special procedure he used to change it out.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Ask if the owner is on this forum, perhaps? If its someone from here, that's a whole lotta less headache to start with (assuming the average ST-Owner site member is a MC lover, and takes good care of bikes)

Just a thought! Good luck on finding the right ST1300, great bike...real value for money.

Regards,
Vishnu

Ask when the last time:

a) Thermostat and \ or hoses \ hose clamps have been replaced or worked on (any coolant leaks?)
b) Run the preload adjuster all the way down, counterclockwise, then turn clockwise until you feel resistance.
....How many turns did it take? More than two, ask when the preload was last "re-filled with oil"?
c) The Driven Flange bearings have been replaced.?
d) If high mileage, wheel bearings replaced?
e) The fuel filter has been replaced?
f) Has the upper fuel tank to lower fuel tank connecting hose been replaced?
g) A Starter Valve sync has been performed?
h) The 5-way and associated vacuum lines been cleaned?
i) Moly 60 paste has been re-applied to the Driven Flange and its apposing plate?

Ask what kind of mileage they're getting.

Other ST1300 Known Issues link

That's all I can think of for the moment.

Top Bottom