Tire Help?

Hey, Looks like I need new tires. Can't seem to beat Pete's Superbikes for prices. If someone can let me know that I'm getting the right tires for my 2009 St 1300 I'd appreciate it. My current tires are Dunlop Sportmaster (front 120/70rz18 59W and rear 170/60rz17 72W). Looking at Metzler Z8's which seem cheaper than PR4's.

This is the link to my cart at their website http://www.petes-superbike.com/shopping_cart.php Any problems with this order or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks. About 90 dollars cheaper in total than buying from a dealer here in Toronto.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Hey, Looks like I need new tires. Can't seem to beat Pete's Superbikes for prices. If someone can let me know that I'm getting the right tires for my 2009 St 1300 I'd appreciate it. My current tires are Dunlop Sportmaster (front 120/70rz18 59W and rear 170/60rz17 72W). Looking at Metzler Z8's which seem cheaper than PR4's.

This is the link to my cart at their website http://www.petes-superbike.com/shopping_cart.php Any problems with this order or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks. About 90 dollars cheaper in total than buying from a dealer here in Toronto.
The Z8s will not last as long as the PR4s
Bridgestone 023 GTs will be on closeout, being replaced by T30 GTs, and are great tires if you are looking for cheaper.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
There have been a thread or two about Z8s making a strange harmonic noise/ vibration on the ST1300. I have no experience with this or them on the ST but liked the Z8 on my NC700. Completely different bike though weight wise and chain drive.

However when I last evaluated tires for the ST the Z8 did not make the list. I'm liking the Bridgestone T30 a lot with 7500 miles on a rear T30 front BT023 combo. I will buy a set of T30s when the time comes.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
T30 is a great tire for the price I have been running PR's of all types exept the 4's you can get a set of T30's for less than a rear PR'4.

OP
OP
One more question----right now I have Dunlop Roadsmart, and a flat rear tire. If the problem is a leak in the valve, will new tubeless tires take care of the problem? Or is the valve a separate part from the tire? The tire is worn and completely flat but I'm able to hand pump it to 40psi and it slowly leaks overnight (probably safe enough for me to ride a few blocks to the dealer to install the tires) if I pump it right before I go. Just want to make sure new tires will take care of any valve problems as well, in case it's not a puncture somewhere on the tire.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
One more question----right now I have Dunlop Roadsmart, and a flat rear tire. If the problem is a leak in the valve, will new tubeless tires take care of the problem? Or is the valve a separate part from the tire? The tire is worn and completely flat but I'm able to hand pump it to 40psi and it slowly leaks overnight (probably safe enough for me to ride a few blocks to the dealer to install the tires) if I pump it right before I go. Just want to make sure new tires will take care of any valve problems as well, in case it's not a puncture somewhere on the tire.
It could be that your valve core is not screwed in tight enough. If those are the original stems on your ST, they for sure need to be replaced, in any case. I replace my rubber valve stems every other tire change, or every two years, whichever comes first. They have a way of dry rotting and leaking out at the worst possible time.

OP
OP
They're rubber and somewhat bendable at the bottom and then the metal screw part for the cap above the rubber. I'm assuming that's rubber right? Thanks for your help. Are valves standard or do I need a certain kind with a certain tire? For some reason the tires don't come with a valve and the tech guy doesn't have them either? ***.

OP
OP
It could be that your valve core is not screwed in tight enough. If those are the original stems on your ST, they for sure need to be replaced, in any case. I replace my rubber valve stems every other tire change, or every two years, whichever comes first. They have a way of dry rotting and leaking out at the worst possible time.
Come to think of it, I think that may be the problem. How can I check to be sure and is there a way to fix that without removing tire?

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Valve is seperate I would recommend getting the aluminum valves from Curvey girl.com or something similar. I don't like the Dunlop tires at all I wlould get rid of them ASAP.

OP
OP
Valve is seperate I would recommend getting the aluminum valves from Curvey girl.com or something similar. I don't like the Dunlop tires at all I wlould get rid of them ASAP.
Ya that's what I'm doing. They're worn to the max now anyway. Pete said he'll include valves with the tires. Great guy Pete, and very helpful. Got the Z8's. Heard too many good things about them so I'll see how they are.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Best of luck with the Z8 they didn't last for me. Highly suggest you get the metal valve stems no leaks and it makes it easier to put air in the tires.

Top Bottom