Fluid leak near the VEE???

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I do think color matters. Not sure of why, but it might represent the actual material and use.

http://www.darcoid.com/html/color-faqs.html
So what you are saying if two Honda OEM O-rings with the same Honda part number are one blue and one black, you would choose the blue one over the black one?

I can't remember the color of the one I replaced with my alternator but I'm pretty sure Honda sent me the right one even if it was black.

OP
OP
Kevin_56

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
So what you are saying if two Honda OEM O-rings with the same Honda part number are one blue and one black, you would choose the blue one over the black one?
All I am saying is not to run out to an Auto Parts store to get an O-ring based on size alone. There are many properties of an o-ring. Material type and the Durometer rating of the material are a few. The blue coloring could be a coating applied to it based on the link I provided. I could care less if it was PURPLE. Just a heads up that the OEM provided to me was Dark Blue.

I bet many were figuring that the O-ring was not the root of the oil leak, I was one of them, but had to start there based on the oil below the alternator. No more leak. That is all that I really care.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bet many were figuring that the O-ring was not the root of the oil leak, I was one of them, but had to start there based on the oil below the alternator. No more leak. That is all that I really care.
Post #11..... Glad you fixed it after all.

OP
OP
Kevin_56

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Hey - It is all back together, but not without a few harsh words. Took about another 1 and a half to make it look like a bike. Started it up and it was not sounding right, but thought that with all the parts on it that was the reason. Went for a SHORT ride. Lacking power. You would have thought I was in 3rd gear taking off. Had to run in 3rd gear to climb a minor hill. Pulled the air box thinking maybe I missed a hose or the bodies came off the intake rubbers. Nope. GUY ASMUS suggested coil wire. Guess what, the Y that I made for the cruise control pick up, had pulled apart during assembly of the left panel I was able to crimp a new spade on and hooked it back up. Put it back together AGAIN and went for a really short ride. It is amazing how much more power running 4 cylinders than 2. Thanks to all that wished me luck. It is time to go party at Dinkie's.

Top Bottom