Minor issue - I hope

Bike
ST 1100
So I recently completed an overall after tearing my bike down to nothing but engine. I replaced several gaskets due to age of the biking and several minor oil leaks..

After several months of riding with no issues, I have recently encountered issues where the bike shuts off at speed. All electrical components work fine and the bike starts back if the choke if fully engaged. I have also noticed that when I park the bike, the garage smells of gas fumes and when inspecting potential issues, I feel the gas tank is hot along with the area where the key is inserted (with or without the key inserted).

I have not removed the gas tank cover during this process to investigate but due to what I believe is fuel starvation at speed (intermittent), I believe the pump may be going out.

What would cause the tank and the key to get excessively hot when turned off? I kinda think the switch may be bad leading to the pump running while engine is not running and due to several times in this state, this may be causing fuel pump issues.

I hope someone has had a similar problem to guide me in which direction to turn. Ignition switch, fuel pump or both?

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Most likely the vacuum fuel valve... located on the right side of the air box. It is easily bypassed. The diaphragm is probably toast and a replacement kit can be ordered from "Old Bike Barn". Cost approx. $35

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I second Vinny's answer. Mine just went out as well. I removed it and have had no loss of power or excessive gas fumes.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
You're welcome to mine. It's south of I-40, somewhere between Flagstaff and Gallup. It's as far as my frustration/adrenalin fueled throw could get it. Yours for the finding.

... and when inspecting potential issues, I feel the gas tank is hot along with the area where the key is inserted (with or without the key inserted).
Nothing to do with the fuel valve. It is vac. powered. Is this when you park it or is this all the time?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Due safety reasons not a fan of removal, but considering age and symptoms I agree on the auto fuel valve being the likely culprit...
Reasonable priced, quality rebuild kits are avail at NRP carbs

Bike
92 ST1100
So I recently completed an overall after tearing my bike down to nothing but engine. I replaced several gaskets due to age of the biking and several minor oil leaks..

After several months of riding with no issues, I have recently encountered issues where the bike shuts off at speed. All electrical components work fine and the bike starts back if the choke if fully engaged. I have also noticed that when I park the bike, the garage smells of gas fumes and when inspecting potential issues, I feel the gas tank is hot along with the area where the key is inserted (with or without the key inserted).

I have not removed the gas tank cover during this process to investigate but due to what I believe is fuel starvation at speed (intermittent), I believe the pump may be going out.

What would cause the tank and the key to get excessively hot when turned off? I kinda think the switch may be bad leading to the pump running while engine is not running and due to several times in this state, this may be causing fuel pump issues.

I hope someone has had a similar problem to guide me in which direction to turn. Ignition switch, fuel pump or both?
If key gets hot while in ignition switch when on(if I read that right), would imagine switch contacts are dirty and building resistance creating the heat. Would DEFINITELY resolve that issue before going farther;).

Top Bottom