5 Way T, fast idle ?s

My '03 occasionally doesn't fast idle on cold start up. This week it was the last 2-3 cold starts. Responds to throttle, but doesn't help. Blipping, somewhat aggressively, can get the fast idle to kick in.
I've been reading about the issue and the 5 way T connector comes up quite a bit, so I went looking for it today. Looks like there are 2 of them. One goes to the MAP sensor, and the other comes together in a bigger hose and goes back and down.
I took off the one that goes to the MAP and it was clear. Blew it out anyway.
With the air box off and running, I can move the linkage for the fast idle and rev the engine.
I got hungry and tired of burning my hands on the hot bike so I left it alone until tomorrow.

What do we think?
Is that the correct 5 way?
Should I do the other one? Not sure where the other end of the hose is to try and clear it. I guess I could blow out the connector and the lines to the TBs.

I did find an entire intact dragon fly in my air filter!

The 5-way in question is the smaller of the two and where each vacuum line goes next to each injector.

Here's from Page 5-76 in the Service Manual (click thumbnail for larger image):
I have a real-live photo somewhere that might show it more clearly.

five-way.jpg

EDIT: Here's a webpage with a [clicky=>] photo or two+ from when I cleaned mine - I actually replaced the vacuum hoses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kperham
Thanks for the reply!
That's the one I blew out. It's got even air flow through all and I put it back. It was still too warm to change anything, so I'll take a shot this morning at starting.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
You could come up to the house sometime and we could sync the throttle bodies... it may help. Try running some "Seafoam" fuel system cleaner through it for a couple of tanks... may help.

OP
OP
kperham
Thanks for the offer Vinny!
Seemed to start up fine this morning. Of course that's with the air box removed, so have to wait again for it to fully cool and sit overnight to really see how it goes. I buttoned it back up this morning.
I can see the wax unit plunger moves, and the linkage is free, so hopefully my mucking about got it going.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I can see the wax unit plunger moves, and the linkage is free, so hopefully my mucking about got it going.
I had a similar thing crop up a few times on mine. Wasn't anything regular, but I cleaned up all of the linkages next time the air box was off (and have done so each time since) and haven't had the problem again.

--Mark

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Thanks for the offer Vinny!
Seemed to start up fine this morning. Of course that's with the air box removed, so have to wait again for it to fully cool and sit overnight to really see how it goes. I buttoned it back up this morning.
Before you button it back up....Just blowing out the 5 Way tee may not have corrected the problem. You will want to REMOVE the map sensor switch, and the 4 vacuum lines that replace them with new ones.
You can purchase the 4mm line at most auto stores, its also used for windshield washer tubing, at a about a quarter a foot.
The goop is usually in the lines, as well as the 5 way tee. Run a pipe cleaner, soaked in carb or brake cleaner through the lines and see what comes out.

OP
OP
kperham
Started up this morning no trouble. No idea what anything I did had anything to do with the fast idle, but hopefully it keeps working.

Top Bottom