Helmets Helmet With Retractable sun sheild

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I also have the newer HJC IS-17 Intake full face with flip down sun visor. As was mentioned the main visor snaps shut but is very easy to open with one thumb since the latch is in the center. Lift to open press down to close... kinda intuitive, huh. Have had this since last Christmas. It is quieter than my previous HJC SyMax II modular. Partly because it's not a modular and partly because it's better anyway. Don't know how it compares with pricier helmets since I haven't tried any of those, I'm on a budget. The sun visor is damped when it's retracted so it doesn't go up with a slap against the stop. The main visor is also a pin-lock visor and will not fog. I've worn this helmet in temps down well below zero*F with no fogging (check out the coldest ride contest in the forum). The same cannot be said of the sun visor part or glasses though since those are not part of the pin-lock system. I wear glasses and the gap between the main padding and the cheek pads is in just the right place to allow the glasses bows to slid in easily. Glasses have plenty of room behind the sun visor. The vents are easy to operate too, and work well as long as there is air moving past them (same as for any helmet with good vents). I have a Scala Rider Q2 and it fits just fine on the side of the helmet. I am currently using the adhesive mounting rather than the clamp and it's working very well so far. I really should get that updated to a Sena SMH5-fm (again, on a budget and this one fits all I need). Then I can BT to my bike audio :grin: (The Q2 is too old to be compatible for that). Most BT communicators will mount on a clamp on the side of the helmet. I used my Q2 clamp mount on my old SyMax II with no issues. I think I prefer the adhesive mount as long as it will stay stuck on. If it doesn't I'll just go back to the clamp mount.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
Well, I went to a shop and tried on a bunch, narrowed it down to a HJC IS-17 or a HJC Symax 3.

I ended up with the IS-17 due to it not being modular (hence quieter) and cheaper. I also liked the locking front shield.

Still thinking about the Bluetooth setup.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Still thinking about the Bluetooth setup.
One word... Sena. They work really well and can be moved from helmet to helmet in 30 minutes or less.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Helmets are very personal from one rider to another. That said, the Nolan 104 should fit your requirements. I've yet to encounter helmet with retractable sun shade that interfered with my eyeglasses.
Good luck with your next helmet purchase.
I have has a N-104 for two years and really like it. One reason is because it is easy to put on and take off with my glasses on. The internal shield is no problem with glasses either. Shield change is much easier than earlier models. The eye port is huge. Plus it has a proprietary recess built in for Nolan's Bluetooth. I never have used that though.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Minor update on my HJC IS-17 Intake helmet. When new it was very quiet compared with other helmets I've had, mostly modular. This was one of the reasons I wanted a full face helmet (the other, bigger reason is the increased safety of a full face over a modular). The Intake is very visible since I have the Hi-Viz version. Lately, for the last few months the helmet was making a lot more noise than before. It was a rattling noise as if the sun visor slide was really really loose. I thought this cuz when I put my hand on the slide tab on top the noise would stop. So I figured the slider had become loose from using it. Today I finally decided to inspect and figure out what I could do to tighten it. I found out it wasn't the slide at all. In fact the slide is still quite firmly held in the helmet. After fiddling around a little I discovered one end of the cover over the top/rear vent on one side had come unglued from the helmet and that's what was flapping in the wind and making all the noise. It would stop when I put my hand up there and blocked the wind on it. I re-glued that piece and it's curing right now. The glue I used is rated from -58*F - 248*F so that should be good. I expect to have a quiet helmet again tomorrow morning when I ride to work :)
This is still my favorite helmet to date :grin:

Note: tomorrow is here and was unable to ride due to ice on the roads. Had rain yesterday (Monday, Jan 19) and streets were still wet last night and it then got cold so slid to work in the cage. Should be dry roads in the morning (Wednesday, Jan 21).

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Was able to ride to work yesterday and today. The fix I did (post 27 above) did the trick. My HJC IS-17 Intake Hi-Viz helmet is once again quiet on the highway (relatively speaking of course). I like the air stream hitting just about my forehead and my current set up has a very smooth airflow doing just that. So I do hear wind as would be expected but it's very significantly less noisy than my previous 3 modular helmets.

Bike
ST1100AY
Looking at purchasing a new helmet, and I've decided I need 3 things.
- Retractable sun shield
- Able to install a Bluetooth communication device - easily. ( I do not own one yet)
- Quite
My partner and I have used the Shuberth C3 Pro with Schubert supplied bluetooth which was very easy to install and had a range of about 500ft (very useful when I forgot her !)

It works comfortably with glasses and is what I would class as medium quiet, i.e. quiet enough to have a conversation through the headset intercom but obvious wind noise (I think this is caused by the joint between the flip up front part and the rest of the helmet)

Only downside is the anti fog coating on the flip down sun visor (aka retractable sun shield) keeps going dull and needs to be cleaned with washing up liquid, ordinarily this wouldn't be classed as a downside except that it is a nightmare trying to unclip this flip down sun visor (I have broken three so far) to get it washed (virtually impossible to do this whilst still on the helmet)

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Found a Scorpion exo900 modular for under $200C in September. At first found it tight on my cheekbones but it broke in well. Has the shade, is modular and I can put the helmet on and take off with my glasses on. No interference issues with the sunshade.
I believe this design is being replaced with the EXO 900X this year so you may find a good deal on end of line clearances if (like me) you're motivated by price.

Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
The distributor for Vemar helmets offered me the opportunity to switch over to the Jiano, as a replacement for a defective full face. I did so because there was no cost involved and I wanted to see what modulars were all about. The Jiano is equipped with the drop down visor, but I dod not like it because it's not dark enough to be functional and the visual clarity is terrible, similar to wearing cheap, drug store sunglasses. So when it's sunny (300 + days a year since it's AZ) I wear Oakleys with thin arms, just like I do with a full face. One thing that really got my attention were the aftermath photos of Shuey's spectacular crash in NM last year, or possibly the year before (time goes by so quickly). In one of the photos it looked like the top of his nose appeared to have had quite of bit of skin removed. When I spoke to him on the phone I asked him if he had been wearing a helmet equipped with a visor and he confirmed that he had in fact been wearing a Shoei Neotec. He said that when his head hit and the helmet compressed down onto his head the visor came down onto his nose.

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
Ouch. I have a Shoei GT Air. Fits the shape of my head and so far works well, with the exception of the vent at the top of the helmet which sometimes scoops-up the occasional small flying insect. Wondered about fitting a grill, but that would be silly, wouldn't it? Hope to NOT crash-test it any time sooner or later though. Good point about flip down/up internal dark visors is that you can rapidly adjust when moving into a tunnel or into shaded tree areas from bright sunlight and again as you leave that shade. Worked really well during our tour of Switzerland last year where there are LOTS of tunnels.

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
Hi
I have found that for the money around $185.00 the GMAX modular fills the bill it is comfortable
has pockets for the ear phones it has the sun shield and the front lifts up for easy access and I also use glasses
a BIG PLUS there is a programable red light built into the back of the helmet that gets attention at night...
I also have the HJC but I like the GMAX better
Dave IMG_4421.jpg
I concur with Dave....Spending 600 plus for a helmet is completely uneccessary....Mostly snob appeal as far as I'm concerned....Point in case...Go on webbikeworld.com...See their review of the $125 HJC CL17...While it is not modular it is DOT and Snell approved....Rated quieter...More comfortable and in several other catagories as good or better than Shoei.... Arai and many other $500 plus helmets...I am not suggesting this helmet..Using it only to prove a point...I've tried it on and it is very comfortable...On the other hand I've tried Schubert helmets and found them to be very uncomfortable...Of course the important thing is protection and does it fit your head type...So whether you spend $125 or $1025 make sure it fits your head type...I have the GMAx Dave is referring to and it is a comfortable reasonably quiet helmet and works well with glasses...I also have the HJC IS-Max...Another sub $200 helmet that is confortable and fairly quiet however I have found the IS-Max does not play as well with glasses as the GMax...With glasses my money would be on the GMax...Besides the LED light farkle on the back makes you feel all Christmasy the year round.

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
Oh yeh forgot to mention...I recently was shopping for a new helmet and had just about made up my mind to spring for one of HJCs RPHA models..either the non-modular 10 or the RPHA Max until I checked the ear pockets...Neither model as near as I can tell would accomodate speakers comfortably...So if you want Com...Look elsewhere

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
I concur with Dave....Spending 600 plus for a helmet is completely uneccessary....Mostly snob appeal as far as I'm concerned...
I have a Shoei Neotec (my second, after crashing in the first one) and a GT-Air helmet (both have internal sun visors.)

I bought both because I trust the Shoei name, the interiors are luxurious, and Shoei's build quality is second to none. Both accommodated my Sena SMH-10 communicators.

I don't even find it necessary to make snide comments about people who choose not to spend the same amount of money on their helmets. To each his own.

Last edited:
As an aside, cheap Polycarbonate helmets do well in a single impact lab test but an accident isn't a lab scenario. From a number of Police Accident Examiners here in the UK the advice is go for a quality non polycarbonate helmet that will hold together over a series of blows to the head unlike cheaper lids that can disintegrate.

Bike
2006 ST1300,2000 VFR
I am stuck wearing Arai Signet-x...Awesome helmet, but expensive. I have the Scorpion exo500 with the visor..it's okay,but tires my eyes. I do want the Pro-shield for my Arai...nice for riding into the sunset, or sunrise if I manage to get up early....so sunset it is. I have used the pinlock and with a visor...multiple images. I agree with St1100Y.

Bike
2009 ST1300P
I know I am late to this thread, but I would like to offer my 2 cents. I have the same GMAX that Dave mentions, long story short I got it for $99 from an open bin at the outlet. We (4 of us)drove 1500 miles round trip from Orange County California to Tahoe
Del Ray Oaks (22).jpg.
This is my first Modular. I brought a back up Helmet thinking that I would not like some aspect. I almost decided to drop my backup in the trash as the GMAX was so great. I love being able go into a store without locking it up or removing it from my head. Sunshield was great except when going straight into the sun (it happened twice), and I think the venting was great. The temp was as low as 39 degrees and the I was fine with my ST screen about 1/3 up.
Since I was in front, everyone liked the red light on the back when riding after dark.
We used the following communication system, good for up to 5 bikes Plenty of full on conversations and heads up talk with very little "say that again" happening.
http://www.amazon.com/Amazingbuy®-Motorcycle-Weatherproof-Interphone-Controller/dp/B00XC8HTJ2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448135902&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=motorcycle+v8+communications+device
http://www.amazon.com/GM54S-Modular--Road-Motorcycle-Helmet/dp/B004YA4YPO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448136839&sr=8-1&keywords=gmax+modular
I wish I knew how to shorten up these URL's:confused:

Top Bottom