Engine sound between diff years?

Bike
ST1300
For starters everyone knows the special sound of V4 engines ST 1300 and we can call a "whistle":)
What is this noise in the engine? what part of the engine produces the whistle and why ? Ask these questions because my engine sounds louder than other engines ST 1300..."whistle" is much louder than my friends engine and do not understand why....it's likely to change something, to have more engine wear? Sound difference was made ​​between three bikes all different year, my 2003 and my friends in 2002 and 2008.All 3 motorcycle were around the 60,000 km....and all three came to the conclusion that my engine whistled louder. Can someone help me with answers? Thank you

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: a little misunderstanding, can help me with some answers

I believe the distinctive noise comes from the dual counterbalance shafts. They are driven by gears and the "lash" or play in the gear drive is adjustable. Turning the adjustment one direction increases the whine and the other direction decreases it. You can change the adjustment and affect the noise.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

The sound is characteristic of the non helical gear tooth shape Honda uses. When they're engaged tighly, they whine a bit, when loose they're quieter but can rattle a bit. The only adjustable gears in the st1300 are the counterbalancers as Dave mentioned. Sounds like yours may be a bit tighter than those on your friend's bikes (just because theirs are quieter doesn't mean their's are better adjusted).

OP
OP
Smok3
Bike
ST1300

Thanks for the quick responses, anyone know who made these adjustments? think I can do myself or do I need a mechanic/service? Sound begins to bother me...I want to buy and mount motorcycle audios system from Shark and do not see the point of this engine noise....
I have the service manual but I thought someone made ​​these settings/adjustments step by step and posted somewhere...

After a quick search I found this: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/ST1300_b.html#Engine
Based on what I can write here or you can help me with other links?

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

I can't speak to your mechanical ability but this adjustment is not difficult to do as far as these sorts of things go. The link you posted is as clear as it gets for illustrated directions and should be easy to follow for a novice willing to tackle it.

OP
OP
Smok3
Bike
ST1300

again thanks for replies, tomorrow I will get to work and hope to reduce this sound .... and if I have to be happy with the results I was also installed an audio system sound

troystr68

Troyster
this is what I LOVE about my V4's
I own two the ST1300 and a VFR 800 (1999) they both have very cool sounds
It reminds me of a super charger especially on my VFR it has a D & D exhaust
can WAIT to put pipes on the ST

I believe the distinctive noise comes from the dual counterbalance shafts. They are driven by gears and the "lash" or play in the gear drive is adjustable.
I've had the same sound out of my CBR (so not a v-4 phenomena) ... of course, I adjust the cb.shaft and the sound goes away.

OP
OP
Smok3
Bike
ST1300
I have a afetrmarket exhaust, and I`m very satisfied with the sound of V4....but :( today I tried to adjust/rotate counterbalances shafts and do not move or rotate,I think they are blocked... I even used different screwdrivers...I could not move or adjust them :(....I almost destroyed screwdriver as shown in pictures....Now I really need some advice what I can do to adjust :confused:

Attachments

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
I have a afetrmarket exhaust, and I`m very satisfied with the sound of V4....but :( today I tried to adjust/rotate counterbalances shafts and do not move or rotate,I think they are blocked... I even used different screwdrivers...I could not move or adjust them :(....I almost destroyed screwdriver as shown in pictures....Now I really need some advice what I can do to adjust :confused:
You did loosen the pinch bolts first right?

OP
OP
Smok3
Bike
ST1300
I removed both parts of the picture and nothing...:( It seems like a simple job has become complicated...something similar has happened to anyone?

Attachments

Last edited:
I removed both parts of the picture and nothing...:( It seems like a simple job has become complicated...something similar has happened to anyone?
I assume you didn't literally remove anything.

a) Engine cold (off), loosen upper \ lower pinch bolts
b) Turn upper bal.shaft adjustment counterclockwise until resistance is felt, then back off one graduation mark.
c) Turn lower bal.shaft adjustment clockwise until resistance is felt, then back off one graduation mark.
d) Warm engine and let idle
Gear noises excessive? Then adjust:
e) Turn upper bal.shaft adjustment counterclockwise until you hear a whining noise, then turn clockwise until whine disappears.
f) Tighten upper pinch bolt.
e) Turn lower bal.shaft adjustment clockwise until you hear a whining noise, then turn counterclockwise until whine disappears.
f) Tighten lower pinch bolt.

Snap the throttle.
If gear whine is excessive, backlash is too small
If gear rattling is excessive, backlash is excessive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smok3
Bike
ST1300
Previous page I put a link, I followed the same instructions which you have written and you, I remove upper and lower pinch bolts but the uper and the lower balancer shaft not working, does not rotate, I almost broke a screwdriver and I could not to turn..then I saw that they fail to turn, I removed the two pieces and nothing....the upper and the lower balancer in my opinion are blocked/ stuck can not spin/turn

Top Bottom