Help with air control valve

air cont valve.pngLong story short...I need to know where tube number 5 connects to.
Ive been goin through diagram after diagram with no luck.

OP
OP
Now for the long story...had a friend of mine clean my carbs.
He finished them but unfortunately became ill and wasn't able to reinstall them.
I'm taking it on myself. I almost have the bike back on the road after quite a lengthy
rest in my garage. Before this it went through an alternator retrofit. Soon after
one of the carb bowls decided to throw up into my crankcase which pushed oil into the aircleaner
that melted the airbox and spit oil all over me and the garage. All that has been fixed and she just needs a good reassemble.
New tires, brakes, all cables, seals, alternator, oil, filter. Cant wait to get it out on the road before it gets cold.
Thanks in advance for the help. I know I can always count on this forum.

STOC #
That is the cannister system for storage of fuel vapors from the tank. When you start up it sucks those vapors into the intake system. I would look for a fitting carrying vented fuel vapor from the fuel tank to connect hose #5.
Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. I have a 2001 ST1100AC (44,000 miles) on my lift for a rear tire change. It also needs the rear wheel drive flange and hub gears changed since no one at the stealers lubed them with Moly 60. $600+. Anyway, that cannister system is on this bike but not my 2000 ST. When I have the shelter off to do some other work I can more easily confirm this but that won't be for a few days.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
There are two vacuum valves on the EVAP system. One valve is the purge valve which opens and pulls vapor from the canister into the carburetors. The second valve is the carburetor air vent (CAV) valve which opens when the engine is running and allows air into the carburetors; otherwise it is closed and routes vapor from the carburetors to the canister.

The valve on the left in the picture appears to be the CAV valve which is mounted on the front right side.

Last edited:
Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
From what I can tell from Clymer's and the Honda shop manual, the hose labeled 5 in your diagram is Hose No. 6 and connects to a tee; notice that there's a hose clamp at the end. One side of the tee connects to the front carbs and the other side connects to the back carbs.

The hose labeled 4 in your diagram is Hose No. 7 and is open to the air; notice there is no clamp at the end.

Best to get yourself a shop manual or the Clymer's manual.

Last edited:
See if this helps - it is from a 98 ST1100. I concur - it doesn't really go to anything, it ends under the u-shaped bracket

Attachments

OP
OP
Hey thanks guys. sometimes the pics in the shop manual are too detailed. Especially at 2am!
Thanks to your input I finally figured it out. My friend who did the cleaning just put hoses back on at random.
Still a little upset about the whole thing. Now all I have to do is drain and clean the tank, rewire the gas gauge,
Flush the radiator, put all the plastic on and filler up. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Oh well, I'll be back:)

Bike
1993 ST1100
cableman
If you need a second set of eyes or hands.let me know.I just went through much of what you did after my bike sat for 6 years.
I removed the fuel valve and PAIR system when I had the carbs out.
Michael

Top Bottom