Almost had a big one.

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Back to the old commute as I was off work for 2 weeks, and now it is over.
So today I am heading up I35w like most always and take my regular exit.
Now for those not in Texas, we often have two way service roads. This is one. As I got close to the exit I saw a service truck (maybe tire repair) and start to monitor to be sure it either yields, or moves fast enough it is not and issue and the driver looks at me and starts to slow, then I see another truck ... a white GM P/U driving south ... it accelerates so it can make it past the exit without stopping for me ... BUT
There was a red Ford Superduty following that P/U and they did not seem to notice the fat guy wearing fluorescent safety lime green with the high beams of the bike on coming down the exit towards them until way too late, plus the way they were driving and from what I could see, it looked like they looked right at me, and though they finally stopped, it was in the way. About as much in the way as they could possibly be without totally blocking things. The car following me locked up stopping for the red Ford as well, They were blocking most of the exit, and were hugging the right shoulder so with nowhere else to go I had to hit the curb, jump the deep hole left by the 18 wheelers and squeeze past the right hand side of the truck, and the guard rail.
As it was happening I was positive that I was going to hit the truck, and decided a glancing blow off the bed was my best choice for impact so I did my best to keep things from locking (the rear locked more than I thought, as it didn't squeal very load, but tonight I checked and it left a longer black stripe than I was expecting and I twice locked the front) dropped a few gears, let off the brakes just as I hit the curbing, then upon landing was happy to find I had managed a miss, with the only "damage" being the left mirror cover/turn signal had popped out of the spring clips and was hanging from the tiestrap and turn signal wiring.
Luckily also there was no one behind the Ford, so after the squeeze I was able to get back to my side of the road easily.

Once at work I checked the rims for any bends due to their intimacy with the curb, and found none.

I'm nodding off so that's all for now.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I take it you are nodding off due to the medication post incident........

:eek:

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Holy Cow! It is amazing how quickly things can go south on us.... happy that you were able to avoid injury and a nasty collision! Not sure I would be able to respond as well. Now, go buy a lotto ticket!

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Great save! Quick thinking and planning ahead saved your bacon. Way to go! These rims must be pretty tough. My front must have smacked a curb, or hole, and it still holds air.
You're likely to be a little sore; hope you get to feeling better in no time.

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Nice save!!!
It amazes me how fast the computer between our ears can take in all that information, formulate a plan and execute, all in fractions if a minute.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Nice work JP. Glad you made it through unscathed.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wow that sounds like a nightmare that was the perfect setup right in front of you. Glad you had a plan and it worked out.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Good ridin'.

Those two way access roads are convenient, but really dangerous at times. I think its more dangerous when you are going the "right" way because the ramps are so short and steep its difficult to look over your shoulder to see the exiting traffic. Here in Salado I always drive on the access road against the highway traffic because you can look right up the ramp to see who is exiting. They are removing all the two way access roads down here as they widen I35 to 3 lanes.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nice job taking it all in then executing what had to be a tight-no-room-for-error plan. I'm also thanking the Man above for leaving a hole just wide enough for you to squeeze through.

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
I take it you are nodding off due to the medication post incident........

:eek:
No, just a long day at work (especially after being off for 2 weeks vacation). I didn't even beer it!
Really could have used the beer once I got to work though. Still had the adrenalin shakes about an hour later.

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Holy Cow! It is amazing how quickly things can go south on us.... happy that you were able to avoid injury and a nasty collision! Not sure I would be able to respond as well. Now, go buy a lotto ticket!
I think I used up all my luck for a bit of time ;)

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Great save! Quick thinking and planning ahead saved your bacon. Way to go! These rims must be pretty tough. My front must have smacked a curb, or hole, and it still holds air.
You're likely to be a little sore; hope you get to feeling better in no time.
As I was rolling away I was feeling for any lumpiness grumbling that it was going to be costly to replace the wheels.
All my soreness is the darn arthritis and a bit of physical work, so wat I'd got from that is just background noise.

Nice save!!!
It amazes me how fast the computer between our ears can take in all that information, formulate a plan and execute, all in fractions if a minute.
I'm noticing the slowing from age, but the unintentional on the edge stuff still saves my bacon often enough.

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Nice work JP. Glad you made it through unscathed.
Oddly, it seems to be when I am not riding like a hoon that these happen. Ride like I did in the rain friday and the events seem mild.

Wow that sounds like a nightmare that was the perfect setup right in front of you. Glad you had a plan and it worked out.
I try to keep a look out for phone users especially. Couldn't see in well enough to tell, but I'd not be surprised if the driver was "impaired" in that way. Years ago I had a driver pull in front of me and my evasion options were limited by the car locked up and sideways in the oncoming lane. That guy almost caught me in the drivers door and a Accord in the right front fender.

Good ridin'.

Those two way access roads are convenient, but really dangerous at times. I think its more dangerous when you are going the "right" way because the ramps are so short and steep its difficult to look over your shoulder to see the exiting traffic. Here in Salado I always drive on the access road against the highway traffic because you can look right up the ramp to see who is exiting. They are removing all the two way access roads down here as they widen I35 to 3 lanes.
They did a bit of that just up the road in Burleson. Then we had the few weeks of folks not noticing the roads had changed.
I've also had people in the oncoming lane not noticing it was a two way.

Nice job taking it all in then executing what had to be a tight-no-room-for-error plan. I'm also thanking the Man above for leaving a hole just wide enough for you to squeeze through.
wide enough or not, I thought the angle of the curb was going to toss me down.

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
holy crap so glad your ok
nice job man on finding the way out!!
maybe having cats has rubbed some of the nine lives off on me :D

Glad you came out ok! I would bet your narrative happened rather quickly in real life!
All that "I'm gonna crash" was in about 100 feet of road space at maybe 50 and slowing. Total was just a bit longer than the short exit ramp.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm glad you made it through all the bad stuff. I hate those Texas off ramps where the other guy has to "yield". As happened to you bad stuff (idiots) can come from all directions. Those should all be stop signs to keep the access roads slow and safe for exits.

Raymond

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
This is the exit ramp, BTW.
Though, if there is a crash there, there is usually an ambulance sitting at the Shell Station just up the road a few yards.

I'm glad you made it through all the bad stuff. I hate those Texas off ramps where the other guy has to "yield". As happened to you bad stuff (idiots) can come from all directions. Those should all be stop signs to keep the access roads slow and safe for exits.

Raymond
Yes, but then I have had folks stop coming off the ramp, even when all the service road traffic was sitting still.

Dang, glad you made it without making real contact with the vehicle.
it was a close thing. The Ford was a Crew Cab long bed SuperDuty ... that's a lot of truck to miss

Now, Thanks Y'all.
I'm off to make the same commute to work again.

Top Bottom