Throttle cable woes

Bike
st1100
Hey,

I was on my way back from work, on my st1100 (ex police year 96) on an A road over taking a lorry when all of a sudden the throttle cable snapped, luckily I managed to coast it to a layby, since I was only 3 miles from home I ran it back on the idle. I've since got some new throttle cables (thought it best to replace both at the same time). I've managed to undo the handle bar side, taken the fake tank panel off and side panels.
Now here comes my problem where the cables run into the wheel on the engine (I know mech tech speak not my strongest as I am a lecky) there is part of the frame which sits in front making access REALLY difficult to get the cables off and new ones on, my question is, do I need to take the actual fuel tank off to get slightly better access, or is it a case of keep trying till they come off and new ones fit in?
Thanks in advance for any advice

Cheers Westy

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Keep trying... I had no big problem when I replaced my originals that were binding, some. Good luck.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
For easy access you'd need to pull the carbs...
I'd removed the Philips bolt holding the bracket (with the adjuster for both sleeves) to the throttle-body and "un-fiddled" the cables from the wheel with a pair of angled needle pliers.
Reverse order to get the new ones in, but leave the metal adjusters loose (for now), adjust the ones on the handle to fully short, and do the mains adjustment with the two on mentioned bracket.
See that the throttle handle snaps shut freely on all positions of the steering handle (left, centre, right), also the idle should not change when you turn the handlebar from full right to full left.

OP
OP
Bike
st1100
Cheers Jim and st1100y for the great advice, will try that tomorrow afternoon when I get the chance

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Take a look at pulling the gas tank...
I would look to see if I could see the entire route and not pull anything I didn't have to pull; but that being said, the 'little wheel' where the cables attach is very easy to work with when the gas tank has been removed.

OP
OP
Bike
st1100
Had to pull the fuel tank in the end, the bracket had a screw wielded on so couldn't remove that so the fuel tank went to enable me to access the bottom of the wheel to take the cables out, which has made the job a lot easier. Just a shame I ran out of day light :(. Cheers for the advice Mark

Top Bottom