970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yesterday I took the DR650 for about a 60 mile ride and when I got home I found my boots with oil on them, the engine is covered, and the rear wheel is covered in oil!! What the heck?? I hope my ST parked next to it does not learn any bad habits!! :eek:illeak1:

I did a quick search on the internet and found the problem, a cam chain tension-er gasket that needs to be replaced. Parts are on order. :D

2nd pic.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I think it has to do with lack of use. Maybe you will pay more attention the the lowly DR now. You won't have to worry about it leaking oil if you drop it off the side of the hill and turn it upside down from time to time.;)

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I think it has to do with lack of use. Maybe you will pay more attention the the lowly DR now. You won't have to worry about it leaking oil if you drop it off the side of the hill and turn it upside down from time to time.;)
Oh my DR gets ridden to work and back at a minimum year round rain or shine. That gasket going bad is a normal thing on the DR if you Google it. Mine has been dropped more then once but not off the mountain like yours. :D

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Oh my DR gets ridden to work and back at a minimum year round rain or shine. That gasket going bad is a normal thing on the DR if you Google it. Mine has been dropped more then once but not off the mountain like yours. :D
Yes I know about all the DR650 idiosyncrasy s. DRRiders is a good DR forum to subscribe to when owning a DR. Still the DR wants to go more than just back and forth to work. It needs to get out and play in the dirt. The few times I have seen yours, it looks show room clean. Sacrilege:D.;) Put it in your truck and bring it out here. We will do some riding next summer. This year is out as the high country is getting snow now.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Pretty simple bike to work on. I am enjoying mine. I'm taking it to ArkanSTOC to do some off road riding. I hope it does not end up like Chucks in those pictures. :D

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Put a cover on the ST so it doesn't see that...
At least you have one. I've been thinking about getting one or something like it for a long time.
Have a friends HD in the garage along side the 919, had all three pulled out while I was doing some spring cleaning (just a little late, or maybe early...) the wife said looks good with all the bikes sitting around, you should get another one... ah huh..
Maybe some day I will have my dual sport, not that I really have any off road trails around here to ride.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well tore the DR apart today and replaced the cam chain tensioner gasket, counter shat seal, checked valve adjustment, changed oil. Still need to put the exhaust back on and the new fuel tank and fire this thing back up and see if it is fixed. I will get back on it tomorrow.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Well tore the DR apart today and replaced the cam chain tensioner gasket, counter shat seal, checked valve adjustment, changed oil. Still need to put the exhaust back on and the new fuel tank and fire this thing back up and see if it is fixed. I will get back on it tomorrow.
Pictures , man , Pictures

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
What does a new fuel tank have to do with the gasket replacement?:think1:
Upgrades you know!! I thought as long as I need parts order a couple of extra ones I have been wanting. :D

Pictures , man , Pictures
My gloves were so covered in oil I never thought to pickup the camera!:D

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Just got back from a little test run and found another oil leak on the clutch gasket, more parts on order!! :banghead:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Just got back from a little test run and found another oil leak on the clutch gasket, more parts on order!! :banghead:
While you have the clutch cover off check and do the mod on the neutral light switch. PM me for further details or search the DRRiders forum. (Safety wire the fasteners holding the switch in.) Lots written about it.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
While you have the clutch cover off check and do the mod on the neutral light switch. PM me for further details or search the DRRiders forum. (Safety wire the fasteners holding the switch in.) Lots written about it.
I need to do that myself.
Sorry to hear you have to go back into your bike Mike. How many miles do you have on yours?

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I need to do that myself.
Sorry to hear you have to go back into your bike Mike. How many miles do you have on yours?
11,100. The gasket on the clutch side case has a section missing and it is leaking right where the cable come over the top of the case.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Last edited:
OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Well bring your parts and come out and practice. :)

California would love to see you again and drag that crazy Mark out here who gets caught going over 100!! :D
It cost us too much money to come out to Cali. You and Keith throw your DRs in your trucks and come out and we can fix it here and then GO RIDE in the snow.

If your neutral light is not showing any symptoms of a loose NSU, maybe a small bead of silicon sealant will fix your leak, being you said it was on the top of the case cover gasket.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
It cost us too much money to come out to Cali. You and Keith throw your DRs in your trucks and come out and we can fix it here and then GO RIDE in the snow.

If your neutral light is not showing any symptoms of a loose NSU, maybe a small bead of silicon sealant will fix your leak, being you said it was on the top of the case cover gasket.
Hey we need the money and if you could ship out some water this way we could use that also!! :D

I ordered the gasket today and will replace it soon.

Top Bottom