Fi warning light

Bike
St1300
The FI warning light came on,took it to my local dealer,they looked at the code and told me it was the mapping system,they gave a price of ?225:00 for the part,is there any other faults it could be,or any info about what the mapping system does,
thanks
Andy

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The FI warning light came on,took it to my local dealer,they looked at the code and told me it was the mapping system,they gave a price of ?225:00 for the part,is there any other faults it could be,or any info about what the mapping system does,
thanks
Andy
i
If there are no other symptoms and the FI light came out of the blue I would clean out the 5 vacuum hoses that connect the 4 throttle bodies to a 5 way junction. It's a common fault and an easy fix. The code it throws may say to replace the MAP sensor but it is often a clog of oily goop in one hose that causes the code/FI light.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I'd add that MAP sensor failures are not common but not unheard of, either. The sensor is testable; using a procedure in the service manual, which might unearth a problem with the plumbing or the wiring that connects it to the ECM. If the shop wants to replace it before testing, find a better shop.

MAP stands for manifold absolute pressure, and It's the sensor the ECM uses to find out the density of the air at the intake. That's used to calculate how much fuel should be squirted into the cylinder to get the right air/fuel mixture. If the sensor fails, the ECM will fall back on built-in figures that will give you decent-but-not-ideal performance and fuel economy.

--Mark

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
As said clean tee and replace vacuum lines then run some seafoam and mmo oil through a couple tanks of fresh ethel.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
MMO is Marvel Mystery Oil and Fresh Ethyl is new gas I'm guessing.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
:plus1:
Ethel would be premium fuel for all those young folks out there...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Dad gum yunguns! Get off my lawn.
Back in the old days B.S.S. you'd pull up to the pump and tell the attendant "Regular" or "Ethyl". Some people would ask for "Super". They weren't right in the head. And you could trust your car...

Top Bottom