Changing the headlight bulbs....

I am getting ready to change my bulbs and have the shims and new bulbs, my question is when I read the repair manual it says to remove the main fairing to change the bulbs, is this really the way to do that or is there an easier way to change out bulbs??? any help appreciated...

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Can be reached from below without any plastic removal or you can remove windshield, 'garnish' and 'screen' for easier access from above.
No fairing removal.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
When reaching in from below, removal of the triangular panel (two Philips bolts at the rear, held with two latches at the front) will increase access space.
Pull off the connector, pull off the rubber boot (first pull outer rim from headlight casing, then get it off the bulb-base), detach the wire latch holding bulb in reflector (see pics in forum), insert new bulb, hold it in place with the tip of your index finger between the 3 prongs while flipping the wire back into the latch (again refer to the pictures and keep in mind that only minimal force is required; if you give it full push the thing won't latch...), rubber back on (observe the TOP marking and the small tongue on the bottom), connector on, triangular panel back in place... done on less the 5 minutes...

Removal of windscreen, garnish, etc... does not help much on an ABS model, the control unit is blocking access from the top.

Bike
Vstrom 650
This might help. If you have an ABS model, you can't come in from the 'top', you have to come in from the bottom (ABS computer sits in the way).
Hi UP so that 'PGM' marked part in front of the clocks is the abs computer?held in place by two 10mm bolts?
I thought it was the 'brain' of the bike,judging by all the wires coming from it.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Hi UP so that 'PGM' marked part in front of the clocks is the abs computer? held in place by two 10mm bolts?
Yep, held in place by a special sub-bracket some folks order to safely install farkels there ;-)
But besides ABS calculations that "PGM" box does talk to the engine when the TCS kicks in...

I thought it was the 'brain' of the bike,judging by all the wires coming from it.
The normal ICU sits on the LHS vertical tube of the cowling stay, a bit smaller as a pack of cigarettes, in a shock absorbing rubber sleeving...
And, there's actually an INTEL inside... :cool:

Bike
Vstrom 650
Yep, held in place by a special sub-bracket some folks order to safely install farkels there ;-)
But besides ABS calculations that "PGM" box does talk to the engine when the TCS kicks in...

The normal ICU sits on the LHS vertical tube of the cowling stay, a bit smaller as a pack of cigarettes, in a shock absorbing rubber sleeving...
And, there's actually an INTEL inside... :cool:
Thanks guys,my tachometer has stopped working so I was just taking a look in there,going to have to remove the clocks,I think a solder joint may have come loose behind the tacho.
Regarding the bulbs I fitted both from below as far as I can remember,tight squeeze,but it's easier on the European bike because we don't have shims to fiddle with.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
I did this a few months ago, and if its the first time you are changing it, I'd humbly suggest going via the front, if only so that you get to see what's all happening there! its quite beautiful :)

You can also see my pictures from this post --> https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?17579-H4-Headlight-bulb-replacement-instructions-for-ST1100&p=1759001&viewfull=1#post1759001

pe9eveta.jpg

edy8ebaq.jpg

epejy7um.jpg

Regards,
Vishnu

I am getting ready to change my bulbs and have the shims and new bulbs, my question is when I read the repair manual it says to remove the main fairing to change the bulbs, is this really the way to do that or is there an easier way to change out bulbs??? any help appreciated...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
+1 on the small hands.
Guys, I have big paws (3XL gloves), and I do just fine from below...
Less a matter of hand-size, more of groping blindly and ID-ing parts by touch... ;-)
Its just as easy (if not even easier) as in a <90ies car... (later models are an issue, removing bumper, grille, headlight assy, etc...)

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Well then! Umm, do you charge admission to let others watch you change light bulbs? I have a few light bulbs that need changing!
My instances with the light bulbs have been, umm, special. I had to take things off to correct, err, change the lights bulbs. (I don't mean to diss the previous owner!) What I found he didn't know had happened and there was no way I was going to change one of the bulbs without getting to it while it was all exposed. Since the problem has been fixed, I suppose I'll be able to change the bulbs from below now.

Changed front bulbs today h4 from halfords for the first time today ,

took windscreen and the other bit that says honda on it away.

Iv 2001 abs model so I unscrewed the mounts for abs computer to push out of way and hold back with duck tape .

Pull rubber of take out connection to bulb and push pin in and out to release bulb .

Replace bulb ( sit in same way with triangle(connection) facing up )

With the pin I got it through trial and error , the bit that's released I just kept pushing it trying to get it to sit in locked position .

Then place the waterproof rubber on the back of the fitting ( note I tried for about an hour to pull the wire that connects to the light bulb through the rubber fitting because that's not what your meant to do it never fkn fit )

Now rubber sealant is on back of light fitting push the wire( connection ) in to the terminal .

I hope this helps someone

I'm not very mechanical minded but this might pick a few short cuts to a successful job .

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom