Current Seat Manufactures

Bike
Venture
I know someone with a Rick Mayer seat on his Kaw and loves it..

Did anyone realize that Bill Mayer seats is run by Bill (Rocky) Mayer III the son of the founder of Bill Mayer saddles and that Rick Mayer from Rick Mayer cycles is also the son of Bill Mayer.

Bike
08 Kawa Nomad
STOC #
The Russell Day Long looks good, especially with the back rest for the pilot. Does anyone have any experience with Russell?
Nicely done Joe, good thread.
Thanks! :D

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
On the ST mailing list, the WOTL puts the Rick Mayer and Russell seats as the most comfortable for the 1100. Don't know if this translates to the 1300 or not, yet.

A number of people have apparently had quality and customer service issues with Rocky Mayer. Some people like the Corbin seats a lot, but most seem to think they are WAY too hard.

HTH a little.

Rider

V-4 Fan
Are you sure you have the two Mayer brothers strait? I have heard just the opposite, and am trying to conclude a nightmare transaction with Rick at the moment... He has not met one single commitment that he has made to me, not even when trying to make up for the last one not made... the icing on the cake, 6 weeks later and I'm still trying to get my deposit back. I have never had a worse experience with anyone, anywhere, for anything.
That echoes the experiences of several people I know.
Rocky is the guy you want to go with.
From what I understand, the two brothers don't even talk to one another anymore.

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have about 4K miles on a Sargent seat. I am also shorter in stature (32" inseam). I chose the Sargent as it didn't increase the seat height over stock and others seemed to give it good reviews. While some other seats may be more comfortable (I don't know as I haven't tried any), the Sargent is a massive improvement over the stock pan. Pillion comfort is fantastic according to my SO. We have done several 600 mile days with very little arse discomfort.

Bike
Venture
Rider said:
That echoes the experiences of several people I know.
Rocky is the guy you want to go with.
From what I understand, the two brothers don't even talk to one another anymore.

I'm trying to decide which seat to get, from what I've read here and other forums.. The Rick Mayer seats are the more comfortable but he moves at his own pace. If you decide to go with a Rick Mayer seat you need to have a spare seat you can send and then be very, very patient.

haysenglehart

3 Speed
STOC #
Corbin Heated Seat

I went with the Corbin heated seat. I have lots of Harley friends that swear by them, plus they have a great TV show....

High quality, but the connectors for the heater did not fit my ABS model. Corbin cust. svc. was very slow to research it but finally someone figuered out that the fuse setup was totally different on the ABS. I had to get my own in line fuse link and wire it directly to the battery. It is not "switched" now, meaning that the heater will work without the ingnition on, but they have an internal timer that shuts it off after 20 minutes or so.

The seat is very high quality with great stiching. It mounted perfectly, leveling out the original seat that had me rotated forward at an impossible angle. I like to sit upright and the original seat made me slide into the tank. Good fit and finish, but...

Yea, the seat is hard. Not as hard as a rock, but it ain't no pillow, thats for sure. The instructions say to ride it for 10 days or so, letting the seat mold to your posterior. Ok, I did that, rode to San Francisco from LA, plus lots more. It does conform to your rear a little, but not much. I have gotten quite used to it but would still like some more padding. Corbin advertises a "rework" policy and I'm thinking I'll send it back for more pad. My only problem was the delay in getting it in the first place, almost 5 weeks. So if I send it back for a rework I guess I have to put the stock seat back on. Ouch! The price was not bad, $287 with the heat option.

I just bought a pair of bicycle stretch under shorts with padding in the seat area, tailbone, and thigh areas for protection. Very helpful, Cycle Gear, $41. I had read about these types of shorts and remembered back when I rode bicycles I had many "bike shorts" that had padding. Some even had gel pads. So far so good. :)

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
haysenglehart said:
I went with the Corbin heated seat.
Yea, the seat is hard. Not as hard as a rock, but it ain't no pillow, thats for sure. The instructions say to ride it for 10 days or so, letting the seat mold to your posterior. Ok, I did that, rode to San Francisco from LA, plus lots more. It does conform to your rear a little, but not much.
Just bought an 03 with a "standard" Corbin seat. It is hard. Height adjustment is lost with this seat. It is low but wide. Met a short 1100 rider looking for a 1300, but bothered because it is too high for him. After seating on my 1300 Corbin, he said the width of it was stealing height away compared to the stock seat. It is limit for me with a 32" inseam (meaning I can just flat foot it, but boots have generous 3/4" sole thickness).

Corbin must be listening: the 1300 Corbin is softer than the Corbin Seat I bought 8 years ago for my previous bike. Got the same spiel from Corbin at the time about break in period. Put about 20,000 miles on it and still as hard as on day one. It never "molded" to me. Put up with it as it was so much better than stock. Back seat was too hard for the lady on the old Corbin, she does't like the one on the 1300 either. The large elevated stich is leaving a mark on her bottom. She OKed the back rest. I suppose she'd be more comfortable on the "close" version of the seat, which would have be fine for me as ride close to the tank.

Bike is new for me and I have only once been on the seat for 5 hours. Was a dream after the rock hard old Corbin...except for the lady's complaints....

If quality is same as on old seat, it is excellent. Still looks like new. Certainly cannot see any imprint from my bottom on it!

Purchase of the seat from Corbin was quick and easy, But later purchases from them turned out to be nightmarish (boots and seat maintenance products that required exchange/return).

Irrelevant tidbit: It even stood up to a kid extinguishing his cigaret on it while parked in front of the post office!

Last edited:

STumpy

R.I.P. - 2013/05/05
Rest In Peace
STOC #
My biggest problem is my tailbone. I busted my TB a few years back, and ever since it is a constant problem on long rides. I would love to find a seat that eases this problem and not rely on pain killers to make it through the trip.

Does anyone know if one manufacturer is better at addressing this issue than others? :confused:

Bike
05' ST1300A
I have the exact same problem. I see some use Airhawk air seats, even after they get a custom seat, so I've about decided to just start out with the Airhawk and see what happens.
Magne

STumpy said:
My biggest problem is my tailbone. I busted my TB a few years back, and ever since it is a constant problem on long rides. I would love to find a seat that eases this problem and not rely on pain killers to make it through the trip.

Does anyone know if one manufacturer is better at addressing this issue than others? :confused:

Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Hi, I'm new to the site, but have been reading with interest the various options available for better seats for the ST 1300. The Russell seems to be very good. I've also come across a website: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Seats.html#Seats that indicates Corbin is having some serious legal problems, which may cause a problem when you order a seat from Corbin. Thought I would let you know. I'm leaning toward a Russell All-day saddle. Anyone have any comments on the all-day saddle? They "look" very comfortable, but with a 30" inseam, I'm not sure if it would create a problem for me vis-a-vis ride height.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
The newest ref link with regards to legal issues is no longer valid.
The previous one c. 2003 referers to Corbin Motors a spin off Corbin Pacific which makes seats. It appears Corbin Motors assests are now Merlin Motors.

Hi, I'm new to the site, but have been reading with interest the various options available for better seats for the ST 1300. The Russell seems to be very good. I've also come across a website: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Seats.html#Seats that indicates Corbin is having some serious legal problems, which may cause a problem when you order a seat from Corbin. Thought I would let you know. I'm leaning toward a Russell All-day saddle. Anyone have any comments on the all-day saddle? They "look" very comfortable, but with a 30" inseam, I'm not sure if it would create a problem for me vis-a-vis ride height.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
There was one advertising custom seats for the 1300 on ebay last year. I don't recall the name, but maybe they're still doing it? or someone from the UK can chime in.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I broke down and got the Russell this past May. I've put about 6000 on it and... I absolutely love it. I've got a 32 inch inseam and don't really have any issues. After researching all the options, I decided to go with what many others listed as their first choice and am so glad. This seat has made all the differences for my long rides.

Top Bottom