Trailering the ST1300

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Made a trip to The North Woods of WI over the wknd. (About 240 miles one way) I decided to trailer the bike up and back, mainly because my wife was going with, and the weather looked lousy for the trip there and the trip back. Sure enough the weather guessers got it right. It rained all the way up on Friday, and all the way home today. We got a couple hundred miles of riding in on Sat/Sun though. Got rained on a little bit. Was cool, in the low 50's and cloudy most of the wknd. It was the first time I had the bike on a trailer, so I was nervous most of the way. I think I had it secured pretty darn well, and had zero issues, but I just hate the thought of it flopping over on the trailer....

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Pull off the tip over covers and use that as one of the main anchors and strap the wheels down and you are good to go.

Glad you got in a good ride.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I didnt know the st would go on a trailer, :)

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Red strap what did you attach it to?
Red one went around the triple. I criss-crossed to opposite sides. These two straps alone probably would have been enough, but having never trailered her before, I wasn't taking any chances...LOL

Bike
2004 ST1300
Brought my ST home from St. Louis to Michigan on a trailer. Two straps around the triple criss crossed two straps in the back and front wheel in a chock. Worked well driving home in January.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Trailering a ST1300???? Really????

I would never think to do that!.....

kimg_6056.jpg

But sometimes you just don't have a choice if you want to take your bike on "family" vacation!

1img_5950.jpg

Bike
2003 ST1300a
Trailered mine to Scotland late August, had the wife with me, she doesn't do long days in the saddle(for medical reasons), so trailering bikes to a destination for a holiday has become the norm for us the last 7-8yrs.
Although this was the second trip it's done to Scotland this year, the first it managed entirely on its own two wheels:D
Like the idea of removing the side covers, I'll remember that for next time:yes:

Attachments

Bike
92 ST1100
The older I get, the less problem I have turnin' the Steed into a trailer queen. In the past its always been a real mile-eater, but if goin LD JUST for an event, can't see eating up new, just put-on tires, plus everyone is ready for 200+ mile ride for the next day.......and I just pounded out 1200mi. the previous two days to get there.........must be the age mixed in with a little logic:D. An LD ride with no particualr destination point....just tourin' around different parts of the country.....I'm all in:).

Bike
ST1300
Struggled with this last weekend when I bought an '03 ST1300. Made the buy too late in the day to make the trip back home before nightfall, and didn't want to ride a new-to-me bike after dark (turned out to be a valid concern after both lowbeams went dark, had to ride back home with the highbeams on), so I brought a trailer. Couldn't figure out how to tie her down! Never thought (and apparently the PO didn't either) of using the tipover bars. Live and learn. Good thing I had brought gear with me for the test ride.....

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Something that perplexes me about all of the pictures posted above in this discussion is that the motorcycle is always shown standing upright on its two wheels.

I have never trailered my ST, but it has spent a fair amount of time travelling in ferry boats or inside aircraft going back and forth across the Atlantic. Whenever I have to secure the motorcycle on a boat or aircraft, I always put the side-stand down, and secure the moto such that it is resting on three points (the two wheels and the side-stand), rather than on the two wheels only, or (worse still) on the center stand.

The ferry deck crews, who see lots and lots of motorcycles in the course of every season, always insist that the rider put the side-stand down and then they just throw a strap over the seat (with a protective pad between the seat and the strap) and crank the strap down tight. Below are some pictures that illustrate what I am getting at.

In the ferry boat picture (first picture), the deck crew secured the moto. In the aircraft picture (second picture), I secured the moto in the ULD myself.

Michael

Ferry Boat Transport

Wide-Body Aircraft Transport

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
What you don't see or didn't see in the trailer, is the wheel chock that is holding the bike upright!

2004-2WhenBought.jpg

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
When pulling a bike on a trailer, the bike needs to be able to absorb the bumps and shock in the pavement that are transmitted through the trailer suspension. A trailer ride is more rough and bumpy, with more jarring and bouncing then a Ferry ride. The bikes suspension has to be able to absorb that. Thus a straight up tie down approach. In comparison, a ferry ride is smooth as glass, with no jarring and bouncing. So a solid three point stance tie down is acceptable, as the suspension has no shock to absorb.

Top Bottom