Speedometer back light

Bike
ST1100 ('93)
During a 700 mile trip this weekend I noticed that the backlight for my speedometer had gone out. The backlight for the tach is still fine, although I made a mental note to replace it at the same time just to save having to go through the process a second time soon. I'm looking at the Honda Service Manual (for 92-95 ST1100A) and Section 21-4 refers to "Indicator Bulb Replacement". This has me scratching my head because it indicates (pardon the pun) there is only one. But the backlight for the tach/right side is fine...it's just the speedo/left side that has gone out. I can start taking things apart and probably sort it out but I'm hoping someone has already been there and done that and can save me a few minutes or more. Are there in fact two light bulbs or is something else causing half the panel to go dark?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm looking at the Honda Service Manual (for 92-95 ST1100A) and Section 21-4 refers to "Indicator Bulb Replacement". This has me scratching my head because it indicates (pardon the pun) there is only one. But the backlight for the tach/right side is fine...it's just the speedo/left side that has gone out. I can start taking things apart and probably sort it out but I'm hoping someone has already been there and done that and can save me a few minutes or more. Are there in fact two light bulbs or is something else causing half the panel to go dark?
In the Grinch who stole Christmas he took the tree home because one of the bulbs was burned out on one side, sounds like you have the same problem. But you're reading the manual too literally, if you look at the picture you'll see an array of indicator lights for things like neutral, oil pressure, etc. Its not saying there's one light, its just saying to replace the light that's burned out you remove the socket and put a new bulb in. Haven't BTDT yet, but while you're in there its probably a good idea to replace all running lights and probably do the indicator lights as well. Unless Honda decided to use some proprietary lights in there its probably pretty cheap to just put new ones in all around.

Bike
ST1100Y
I've replaced quite a number of times the speedo, tachometer & indicator lamps, experimenting with LED T-10 lamps.
It's pretty easy & takes only minutes to replace them, removing the front shield & garnish takes longer :)

Both the speedo & tacho each has 2 t-10 OEM incandescent bulbs in each housing.
You'll have to wiggle your fingers in to pull the black grommet holding the bulb.

Bike
ST1100Y
Do try to test out the new lamp first by sticking it into the connector prior to insertion, make sure it works fine.
I tend to smear a tiny bit of dielectric grease around the rubber grommet to aid in insertion & removal.

If you want to replace with LED T-10 bulbs, make sure the brightness is enough, I wasted some $$$ on experimenting those multi-colored ones :)
Am currently using these cheap LEDs(white light) & they've been working well for the last 18months.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047RV8WG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ray.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I tend to smear a tiny bit of dielectric grease around the rubber grommet to aid in insertion & removal.
I use it on the bulbs base/contacts and light smear of silicone-grease on the grommets...

If you want to replace with LED T-10 bulbs, make sure the brightness is enough
Yes, but don't try some with higher wattage, they get too hot in the small base and fail even faster...
Tip from own experience: if one bulb goes, replace all 4 at the same time... cause they will start fail one after the other within 2~3 weeks ;-)
So once one goes I order the batch of 4 pcs 34908-MB9-871 BULB, WEDGE BASE, as them OEM bulbs are known to last ~ a decade... (the ones from the car shop don't... BTDT...)

I am currently using these cheap LEDs(white light) & they've been working well for the last 18months.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047RV8WG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Might work too, but see to get "dim" ones, for preserving your night vision...

Top Bottom