Back under the knife

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Wish me luck. :hurt1:

Just mothballed the ST yesterday by putting the bike up on a Park-N-Move, filled the tank completely up with Stabil'd gas, did an oil & filter change, covered it up with my EZ Tour Wanderer, and hooked the Battery Tender Jr. up. There it will sit for the next 7 or 8 months.

Why?... Because tomorrow I go back under the knife for a 3rd attempt at repairing my left shoulder, rotator cuff. Doc's not sure if it can even be re-repaired at this point. I'll know when I wake up in the recovery room. If it doesn't work, the next step is something called a "reverse shoulder replacement".

Since my first RC operation in 2009, I've held out hope that I would be able to get back to doing long distance touring but medical problems, torn rotator cuffs being just one, have kept getting in the way of that ambition. Darn LD riding is addicting and it still has its hooks in me even after 5 years of not doing it.

Depending on how things go within the next 8 or 9 months, there's at least a 50/50 chance I may sell the ST1300 next year. I went through this once already a couple of years ago when I sold my ST1100 after my first shoulder re-repair. In the end I just couldn't stay off of two wheels because the pull of the open road was just too strong, so I bought the ST1300 in the apparently vain attempt to get back to my much loved hobby. Unfortunately, I was never able to get my body to cooperate long enough to allow me the joy of doing trans-continental touring again.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Mick, I'm there for ya!! I know what it feels like to have the pull of the open road and not being able to do it. I haven't been able to ride since last Oct after being hit from behind. I did go out Sat for my first ride since. Felt ok but hand still isn't there. Wondering if it ever will be?

Thinking about you and praying for a guiding hand with your surgeon. Hoping the best on the outcome!

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Sorry to hear that Mick. I had a rotator cuff procedure done last October. I hope thats the one and only rotator cuff I ever have done. Your recurring problem sounds like a real nightmare. Hoping for the best for you.

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Good luck with your procedure. Let's hope they get it right this time.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mick,

Hopefully this time is the charm! Best wishes to you and keep us updated.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Mick,

Good luck with the procedure. I suffered from chronic back problems for years until a surgery last year took care of the biggest problem. Trust you'll have a similar result. Please keep us posted on your progress.

John

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Hope it goes well for you.....

I am due to see the consultant in a few weeks for my right shoulder as I have a similar problem as well as an impingement.... almost always in pain with it....

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
Mick -- Sorry to hear the shoulder is still not right and requiring another try. Best of luck with the surgery and with the outcome.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well that has to be a hard thing to do! We are wishing you the best and a fast recovery. Good luck.

Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Good luck and prayers for a quick recovery. Besides, I've got an Uncle in Conroe I want to visit and got to have someone to show me around on a bike!

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Wishing you the best outcome possible! I have had an RC repair in the past and the outcome was good, still riding. Just a side note... the 1100 used to fit me well and have done some LD riding on it with no problems.... BUT since I have been riding the wing more, the seating position and the handle bar position have spoiled me... LD riding is all I want to do anymore. When getting back on the 1100, I get that burning pain between the shoulder blades I though I had eliminated with the helibars.... So my diagnosis is to sell the 1300 if things do not go well and get a wing. The weight is lower on the wing, the riding position is better, and the saddle is much more comfortable. Just saying....:)

Top Bottom