your thoughts on mounting a "quick release" to heilo bars.

about 6 years ago I bought a set of Hippohands made for the 1100. shortly after buying 'em, I bought and mounted a set of heli adjustable handle bars( first gen and no longer being offered by the mfg.- I believe). and trying to get the h.h.'s to fit an assembly, they were never meant to fit on. to do the h.h.'s justice, an set of hand guards has to be installed ( this to keep the wind pressure from collapsing the cloth, back onto the riders hands and controls) perm. hand guards left on an st1100 will interfere with the r.view mirror's field of vision. ( so this is to be avoided... no doubt with the h.h.'s in place the vision will take back seat to comfort ) this project has sat on the very back burner for a few years now. today it occurred to me that all of these problems could be circumvented by pop riveting the h.h.'s to the hand guards... and the guards, in turn, attached to the bike in a way that they could be quickly taken on/off with a simple screw or two on each side. at this point my thoughts are using an two piece shaft collar http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=327-8384&cm_mmc=SEM-_-GGL-_-PLA-_-NA&003=18299132&010=327-8384&gclid=CISflLuS5sACFU1afgodXDMAwQ clamped onto the heli's upright section...about 1.25" dia.tube. and using alum. angle stock, build out till I get a suitable connection point. drill and tap each element or pop rivet, what ever I have on hand and is easy- bending as only a last resort. ............I know this is a bit much to take in at one sitting but, does anyone have an idea to make this happen AND simpler still?

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
How about just getting a good pair of winter weight gloves and installing grip heaters? Living on the west coast also, I can't see any real need for hippo hands in our climate. JMO.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
( this to keep the wind pressure from collapsing the cloth, back onto the riders hands and controls)
Well that's the problem right there. Throw away those light-weight pseudo Hippo Hands, and buy a set of original Vetter Hippo Hands. These show up regularly on eBay, and craigslist, indeed here's a listing in Bozeman, where the seller is practically giving them away.

I commute daily into NYC, during the winter months I have these same Vetter Hippo Hands. The Hippo Hands, heated grips, and a pair of ventilated summer gloves, is all that I use. The only drawback that I've discovered is that at speeds well above the posted speed limits, the air can push the Hippo Hand onto the brake lever, which activates the brake lamp.

Since using the Vetter Hippo Hands, I've given away my expensive bulky winter gloves, and I don't miss the clumsiness of them one bit!

OP
OP
thank you Ann's Dad. I had no idea that Vetter, at some time made muffs too. they do look like quality stuff, maybe a bit too heavy duty for my needs.( the only problem I see is the arm insertion hole look's tight) fortunately I already have the other h.h.'s, and v-strom 650/1000 guards, and am going to use what I have on hand, as much as possible.

Top Bottom